Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2018, 02:29 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times

Advertisements

Late April to early May and Late September to early October, usually.

Old 07-18-2018, 02:32 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,433,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muslim12 View Post
I disagree, october is never really cold to me. I say October is the most pleasant month... specifically second half of october into november. First half can feel like september still often times while we wait for the first fall cold fronts.
It depends on the October, weather is never consistent from one year to the next. One year you will have warm/hot days, the next it could be very cold.

Like this past February we had a few days of beautiful weather in the 70's and then it went to the 30's and stayed down there for a month shortly thereafter.

The summers here are hotter than Miami and the winters are just as cold if not colder than the NE. Half the time when the weather is nice you can't open your windows because of the pollen. Weather is not Raleigh's strong point.

COL, availability of good jobs, and a large population of educated people are. IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2018, 02:36 PM

6,799 posts, read 7,372,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
It depends on the October, weather is never consistent from one year to the next. One year you will have warm/hot days, the next it could be very cold.

Like this past February we had a few days of beautiful weather in the 70's and then it went to the 30's and stayed down there for a month shortly thereafter.

The summers here are hotter than Miami and the winters are just as cold if not colder than the NE. Half the time when the weather is nice you can't open your windows because of the pollen. Weather is not Raleigh's strong point.

COL, availability of good jobs, and a large population of educated people are. IMO.
I think you have to be a bit more specific than "the NE". Philadelphia or Syracuse? In any event, much less snowfall make Triangle winters better than any location in "the NE".

Old 07-18-2018, 02:50 PM

644 posts, read 841,645 times
My favorite is summer - from June to August. It corresponds with being able to be out of the house after 6 p.m. without giving much thought to "do I need a jacket?" as well as knowing that the sun will be out, watermelons will be in season, the pool and beach water will be perfect.

I don't mind the pleasant afternoons combined with the colors of October.

Old 07-18-2018, 02:54 PM

644 posts, read 841,645 times
Quote:

ha! beauty is the eyes of the beholder.
I love NC weather.
Hot summers where I can hit the pool and beach for 4 months.
Lots of sunshine throughout the year keeping the seasonal depression out.
Winters are warm enough that you can run outside on most if not all days.

Do you actually have data to support summers being hotter than Miami and winters being just as cold as NE? Is 10F difference just as cold? Because that is the minimum difference in average temperature between here and Southern Connecticut which is the most southern part of NE.

Old 07-18-2018, 03:02 PM

135 posts, read 598,744 times
Quote:
The summers here are hotter than Miami and the winters are just as cold if not colder than the NE.
Uh, what? Statistics belie this claim. We'll call the summer temperatures the same relative to Miami because you'll get slightly different results depending on the source you use.

But the second point...how do you figure? Name one city in the northeast with weather that is just as warm or warmer than Raleigh.

Old 07-18-2018, 03:11 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,321,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS_ASSTASTIC View Post
I think for the most part we can agree that July is NOT the best month in the Triangle when it comes to nice weather.

What is everyone's opinion on which month of the year we have the best weather, and why?
When you assume you make an...

I LOVE summer. It's by FAR by far by far my favorite season. If I had to pick a single favorite month I'd probably say late May just because I have all summer to look forward to. When it gets to being this time of year I start feeling a little sad because back to school and the end of summer is in sight. I'd take July over October or April any day of the week. April is a little chilly for me. I like October, but it can get really cold, or be really hot, you never know, and it means winter is on its way and I dread winter.

Old 07-18-2018, 03:20 PM

2,459 posts, read 8,075,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asearchforreason View Post
Uh, what? Statistics belie this claim. We'll call the summer temperatures the same relative to Miami because you'll get slightly different results depending on the source you use.

But the second point...how do you figure? Name one city in the northeast with weather that is just as warm or warmer than Raleigh.
Average high temps in Raleigh in the summer average 2-4 degrees warmer than Miami. Average lows in Miami are 10-13 degrees warmer than Raleigh.

Raleigh
Month/High / Low(°F)/Rain
June/86° / 66°/7 days
July/89° / 70°/8 days
August/88° / 69°/7 days

Miami
Month/High / Low(°F)/Rain
June/84° / 79°/11 days
July/85° / 80°/10 days
August/86° / 81°/ 11 days

No idea about the NE data that was referenced. Personally I like Fall/Winter/Spring/Summer in that order.

Frank

Old 07-18-2018, 03:28 PM

135 posts, read 598,744 times
That's my point about Miami. City-data's stats disagree with that conclusion.

Old 07-18-2018, 03:49 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,433,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asearchforreason View Post
That's my point about Miami. City-data's stats disagree with that conclusion.
They probably average the day's highs and lows. I don't know about CD data but Miami has a climate that is roughly 99% match with Honolulu. The ocean moderates the temp despite its latitude.

That's the thing about Raleigh, you have hot summers with cold winters. It's similar to the Midwest. Remember we had almost two weeks in a row this year that it didn't go above freezing.

The key is to not look at averages but instead look at historical data. I would link to the site but when I did last time my whole post was deleted by a moderator.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary