Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2006, 09:33 AM

39 posts, read 166,621 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are about to move from Memphis, TN to Raleigh. We have been to Raleigh once a few weekends ago and got a crash course in the area. There appears to be a lot of new houses at decent prices going up in Southeast Raleigh...southeast of the I-440. However, I have had some people tell me that that part of town is not very desirable.

I am looking for some Raleigh people to be candid with me about the south and southeast part of town outside of the beltline. What are the pros and cons for that part of town?

I certainly appreciate any info you can provide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2006, 10:00 AM

1,531 posts, read 7,407,799 times
Out of all of Southeast Raleigh, I've only found a small part of it, mostly centered around the areas where Poole Road meets New Bern Avenue & Raleigh Blvd, and some parts around St. Augustine's College & Chavis Heights, to be the real bad areas.
Otherwise, there are lots of decent, middle-income neighborhoods there.

From the area you mention, just outside of 440, I wouldn't worry any. That area is predominantly new subdivisions.

Last edited by RaleighRob; 12-13-2006 at 10:10 AM..

Old 12-13-2006, 10:08 AM

43,282 posts, read 77,104,102 times
Ditto, RaleighRob's post.

I would add, shopping and conveniences have been slow to come to SE Raleigh. A WalMart SuperCenter has been approved for the NE corner of Sunnybrook and Rock Quarry and it should be heavily utilized. Extensive new subdivision develpment should prompt other merchants to develop in the area also.

Watch for flood plains along Walnut Creek and tributaries when buying.

Old 12-13-2006, 05:37 PM

137 posts, read 607,244 times
Yeah, this is an area of Raleigh I've been sort of keeping an eye on, thinking it should be ripe for development. I''m curious to see what follows the new Wal-Mart into that area. Residentially, it's one area of Wake County with excellent proximity to the beltline and downtown that's largely gone unnoticed, although I think the growth in Clayton and Garner is starting to spur interest in the area. There's a few commercial warehouse/light industrial type office parks that have been in the area for a while now. The neighborhoods do improve dramatically once you get outside the beltline into the newer areas.

Old 12-13-2006, 07:53 PM

1,790 posts, read 6,517,890 times
I never understood why Garner never really took off esp with its proximity to downtown.

Old 12-13-2006, 09:18 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,284,407 times
When I was looking at buying I too was interested in Southeast Raleigh becasue of the prximity to downtown and the more affordable homes. I was turned off later after learning that the schools were not very good and more than its fair share of crime. Although there are some pretty subdivisions in that area I personally would be leary of purchasing anything in the Rock Quarry Road / Pool Road area without first doing extensive research.

Old 12-13-2006, 11:10 PM

207 posts, read 1,088,830 times
There are a lot of new communites being built in south/southeast raleigh. If you are looking for a starter home the area can be enticing. The crime isn't bad like the areas around poole rd/new bern ave/raleigh blvd/maple st areas but you will get fed up with a lot of nuisance type issues you wouldn't have to deal with in a more affluent area. Nuisance issues such as juveniles loitering on street corners, gang activity, more damage to property, residential break-in, etc... type stuff. These are the kind of issues that you wouldn't notice driving through the area all the time but you would notice once you moved in. The raleigh police department will provide you with a free history of a specific street and you can look and see what kind of calls they've had to respond to in different areas/neighborhoods...I highly suggest it especially for people moving to the area from a different state. After doing this you'll see why there is a stigma about southeast raleigh. Crime is higher in south/southeast raleigh. There are good areas but overall the people living around you might leave a lot to be desired, esp. when it comes to yard upkeep (most of these areas HOA's aren't very stringent) and the seemingly lack of control they have over their children. I'm not trying to downtalk the area by any means but those are some of the problems you face in those more affordable, entry level neighborhoods in se raleigh (or any entry level neighborhood in any part of the country for that matter). You get what you pay for.

Someone was asking why garner has never taken off (see above paragraph). Garner is a nice area as are some parts of se raleigh but the main gripe I have with it are due to it's less than admirable zoning restrictions. In a lot of garner you see mobile homes in close proximity to more upscale areas. Some parts of it's main strip remind me of Capital Blvd in raleigh, which isn't a good thing (capital blvd is one of the worst zoned streets I've seen). I like a lot of areas such as the area in garner around Eagle Ridge golf course but I am often surprised to see how many new homes in other parts of the city are still being built utilizing septic tanks. Shopping is another issue that someone else brought up, se raleigh's strip shopping malls are downright depressing and although garner has some nice strip malls neither area has any enclosed malls, you have to go further north for that.

Overall raleigh and the raleigh area is a nice place but you really have to be careful about where you plan to move/buy/build because there is a lot going on in the city that the average citizen doesn't know about...

Old 12-14-2006, 05:07 PM

137 posts, read 607,244 times
I think the deal with Garner is that it was formerly a smaller, rural bedroom community for Raleigh, that has now grown into a much larger suburb in recent years. The planning and zoning rules and restrictions were an oversight for quite a long time, longer than they shold have been. I agree with ALT-X's assessment, some updating and improvements to zoning laws and code enforcement - and not just in Garner, but other areas as well - would do wonders.

Old 01-02-2007, 12:52 AM
SML

1 posts, read 4,194 times
Default North Raleigh- South Raleigh

I look forward to moving to Southeast Raleigh to build a home this fall. Come to Virginia where the houses are twice as much, the neighborhoods have homes built in the 30's and 2000s next to each other and you have to spend at least $300,000 to get a home that doesn't fall apart. Trust me building a home for this amount big and brand sure will be great. this area is building and I bet one day people will say we have to move anywhere in Raleigh

Old 01-02-2007, 08:52 AM

271 posts, read 1,213,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SML View Post
I look forward to moving to Southeast Raleigh to build a home this fall. Come to Virginia where the houses are twice as much, the neighborhoods have homes built in the 30's and 2000s next to each other and you have to spend at least $300,000 to get a home that doesn't fall apart. Trust me building a home for this amount big and brand sure will be great. this area is building and I bet one day people will say we have to move anywhere in Raleigh

I whole heartedly agree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary