Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2018, 12:37 PM

43,265 posts, read 77,043,330 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoSox 15 View Post
Do sellers keep permits? I had to turn mine in to the town. I would assume that would be the buyers responsibility to look up, if they are so concerned with it.
You should retain a copy.
The town is not a reliable source, and they often purge after several years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2018, 12:38 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,433,048 times
It used to be about BTUs but as energy costs have soared it's all about efficiency. Apparently it's more efficient to slowly run your A/C set to a higher temp but lower airflow which reduces humidity.

If you're interested in something different look up direct expansion heat pumps. I just worked with a guy who had it in central OH. His average electric bill is under $40/month summer and winter on a 4000 sq ft home. His system was 22 years old but just developed a leak (22 lbs of R22) in th evaporator. He replaced the evap and charged it up again. He uses no supplemental gas or electric heat.

Instead of the outside condenser it runs copper tubing through the ground where it's around 55*. It uses that to condense instead of the outside air. So just think about it, in the summer instead of condensing using 95* air it uses 55*, winter time instead of trying to draw heat out of 15* temps it's 55*.

Old 07-25-2018, 12:48 PM

13,705 posts, read 12,413,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
There are plenty of tradesmen who will install without pulling a permit.
Yeah, never thought of it in regards to an AC unit. And honestly I didn't know it was one of those that required a permit, I just thought an HVAC license. IE, to break a seal and replace a toilet you need to have a plumbing license, but not a permit AFAIK (assuming it isn't your own home.)

Old 07-25-2018, 12:50 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,433,048 times
You can do any repair on HVAC but system replacement must have a permit. Kinda crazy. So you can replace the compressor with no permit but to replace the condenser requires one, makes zero sense.

You do legally need an EPA 608 but that is a joke to get.

Old 07-25-2018, 12:50 PM

43,265 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
Yeah, never thought of it in regards to an AC unit. And honestly I didn't know it was one of those that required a permit, I just thought an HVAC license. IE, to break a seal and replace a toilet you need to have a plumbing license, but not a permit AFAIK (assuming it isn't your own home.)
The thing about an AC installation is that it can touch on a few trades.
Electrical.
HVAC.
Plumbing.
Structural.

Jacklegs at multiple trades with access to power tools can be dangerous.

Old 07-25-2018, 03:42 PM

4,251 posts, read 3,170,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Temperature differential is the 'rule of thumb' starting point.
This "is the house/room cool & comfortable or isn't it" question isn't rocket science.

Per the OP... the house would have failed that test and the prudent buyer warned off.

Which is why buyers are advised to have help: Agents AND attorneys (and inspectors, trade pros, etc)
If you are talking about temperature differential (Delta T) at the unit, you are incorrect. You can have a perfectly fine differential, generally 15-20 degrees, yet the house still does not cool down properly. I have seen this many, many times. The differential at the unit has no relationship to sizing. Now, if you are talking a temperature variance, room to room, that is typically associated with/related to the system balance.....not necessarily the size. Balance is related to air flow.

Comfort is somewhat subjective which is why there are very specific rules about system performance (ASHRAE).

Old 07-31-2018, 09:40 PM

2,006 posts, read 3,581,431 times
The Town of Holly Springs inspects AC swap out and I was given singed permits for my records and told by the town to hang on to them. I think it's complicated enough to warranty an inspection.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
View detailed profiles of: