Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2018, 03:49 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
I still can’t figure out what that listing in ITB is so high. Literally you can get twice the house in that neighborhood for the same price.
Wishful thinking.

Old 08-01-2018, 03:50 PM

25,118 posts, read 16,198,148 times
the median household income locally (Wake) supports the median house price.

it's certainly true that you can't grow by 2,400 people/month without adding housing for them. We have the land in Wake County (not in people's first choice of course, it's not Western Wake), but there is room to build that's more convenient than what many are coming from.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2018, 11:00 AM

Just for comparison’s sake:

https://www.redfin.com/NC/Cary/204-B.../home/41204594

Roughly same price per sq ft. as the house in the OP. Not a ton bigger, either.

Old 08-02-2018, 02:47 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,433,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post

Meh. The kitchen is nice sized but all the other rooms are twice as big as they should be. I would be out of breath walking from one end of the master to the other. It screams "builder inflated price by adding sq ft for no reason".

You see the same thing down in Dallas and Houston, it's not exclusive to our area.

I work with a lot of older folks who are in the midst of downsizing from large homes, the thing almost everyone mentions is they never should've bought such a big house in the first place. Oh, and buy a ranch or at the very least first floor master.

Old 08-02-2018, 03:09 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,259,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post

800 square feet, an extra bedroom, and an extra bathroom is nothing to sneeze at. Has/was been on the market for 77 days so we'll see what it sold for.

Old 08-02-2018, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
800 square feet, an extra bedroom, and an extra bathroom is nothing to sneeze at. Has/was been on the market for 77 days so we'll see what it sold for.
Of course not... it was the same price per square foot, though.

I mean, this was a square footage discussion at some point so I can see where the listing price may have come from.

Old 08-02-2018, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
Meh. The kitchen is nice sized but all the other rooms are twice as big as they should be. I would be out of breath walking from one end of the master to the other. It screams "builder inflated price by adding sq ft for no reason".

You see the same thing down in Dallas and Houston, it's not exclusive to our area.

I work with a lot of older folks who are in the midst of downsizing from large homes, the thing almost everyone mentions is they never should've bought such a big house in the first place. Oh, and buy a ranch or at the very least first floor master.
I thought this house was enormous until I got used to living in it. I find the floor plan has a lot to do with whether or not a large house is comfortable and easy to get around. We don't have a first floor master, but we do have a decent-sized first floor guest bedroom and we could ignore a good chunk of the 2nd floor and all of the 3rd (mostly occupied by the kids) and that makes the walk around here pretty efficient.

Efficiency in a floor plan is crucial.

Otherwise, the space is all wrong. The house in question really does depend on the actual walk of the plan, not the sizes of the rooms.

Old 08-02-2018, 07:48 PM

2,216 posts, read 2,936,227 times
Quote:

I think the pictures might be fooling you because I just looked at the dimensions of all the rooms and they are not too large at all. The master is actually on the smaller size for a home like that IMO (13x17).

We also have a lot of older people that have and continue to move into our neighborhood so while you may work with a lot of older people that want to downsize there still are many that want a larger home. Luckily in our neighborhood we do have quite a few with downstairs masters which is a draw for us "older" folks ;-)

Old 08-03-2018, 10:07 AM

25,118 posts, read 16,198,148 times
Quote:

1, it's got a 3rd floor adding up to that 3500 sqft. second, an 18x13 master bedroom is not that big ... maybe 2 ft of width extra.

Old 08-03-2018, 10:23 AM

Adding an agent's name to a discussion is indirectly advertising for realtors on CD and we don't do that. We also do not use the site to lodge consumer complaints against agents so unless you are an agent with the real estate badge beside your name and registered on this site, your name should not be on this site, either, when discussing real estate.

Now, you could argue that posting a link to any house for sale has the same effect, but it's deemed allowable by the TOS when posted off an aggregate site for the purposes of example, and that's what has been going on in this thread.

Carry on.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary