Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2018, 08:09 PM

19,399 posts, read 27,703,839 times

Advertisements

Here's the perfect simple way to sample them and 'get' what the fuss is all about.

Take a fresh flour tortilla. Heat it up or not. Place a room temperature or warmed peeled roasted hatch chile on the tortilla. Sprinkle it with garlic powder. Fold and eat and thank me later.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2018, 05:53 AM

4,580 posts, read 6,293,638 times
Chili Rellenos is how we use them, not as simple as the above example, but worth the effort. When we eat at a new Mexican restaurant, this is what we order....it's our gauge...to see if they good in the kitchen. Depending on where you go in Mexico, rellenos will contain different ingredients....but our favorite is just good cheese.

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 08-02-2018, 06:25 AM

11,208 posts, read 8,263,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Here's the perfect simple way to sample them and 'get' what the fuss is all about.

Take a fresh flour tortilla. Heat it up or not. Place a room temperature or warmed peeled roasted hatch chile on the tortilla. Sprinkle it with garlic powder. Fold and eat and thank me later.
I thank you NOW!

Another one I love is to slice a bunch in half, lengthwise, clean out the seeds and stems, and then saute in EVOO with Sea Salt at the finish. Go on Medium heat, and let them slowly blister, turning regularly. Takes 15-20 minutes, I guess?

When done, let them cool, or not, and serve with Jarlesburg cheese and your favorite cracker. (Trisket Thins go well, as they are fairly neutral and not overbearing.

You too will thank me later. I'd Imagine a nice Manchego would be good too, and of course some topical Mexican cheeses would be appropriate to try.

Old 08-02-2018, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemstone1 View Post
Chili Rellenos is how we use them, not as simple as the above example, but worth the effort. When we eat at a new Mexican restaurant, this is what we order....it's our gauge...to see if they good in the kitchen. Depending on where you go in Mexico, rellenos will contain different ingredients....but our favorite is just good cheese.

Regards
Gemstone1
I agree 100% on your gauge. (If they bring red sauce, it's a fail.)

But I'm not making the damn things at home. WAY too much trouble. AT home, I cheat and do a chile relleno casserole.

If you ever have the chance to order Chiles an Nogada from a 'real' Mexican restaurant, they are wonderful.

Old 08-02-2018, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
I thank you NOW!

Another one I love is to slice a bunch in half, lengthwise, clean out the seeds and stems, and then saute in EVOO with Sea Salt at the finish. Go on Medium heat, and let them slowly blister, turning regularly. Takes 15-20 minutes, I guess?

When done, let them cool, or not, and serve with Jarlesburg cheese and your favorite cracker. (Trisket Thins go well, as they are fairly neutral and not overbearing.

You too will thank me later. I'd Imagine a nice Manchego would be good too, and of course some topical Mexican cheeses would be appropriate to try.
Are these after roasting and peeling or still 'uncooked'?

PS my simple 'recipe' is roasted and peeled.

(Sorry for the brief detour to the Award Winning Chile Food Channel.)

Old 08-02-2018, 07:12 AM

11,208 posts, read 8,263,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Are these after roasting and peeling or still 'uncooked'?

PS my simple 'recipe' is roasted and peeled.

(Sorry for the brief detour to the Award Winning Chile Food Channel.)
You can do them from "fresh/raw". When i used to grow various similar strains in my garden, they'd come strait from the sunshine into the pan.

(I also like to get the roasted ones, dice, bag and freeze them, and keep them for White Bean Chile or Green Chile. I haven't done that in years, so hopefully that will happen in 2018. ...And Rellenos.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary