Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2018, 09:12 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times

Advertisements

Serious question for all the agents. What is taught in a physical classroom that a person could not learn online?

I mean, I get needing to test in person to make sure people really know the material. But, other than networking/socializing, what does one need a physical classroom for?

Old 08-04-2018, 10:14 AM

1,886 posts, read 4,815,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Serious question for all the agents. What is taught in a physical classroom that a person could not learn online?

I mean, I get needing to test in person to make sure people really know the material. But, other than networking/socializing, what does one need a physical classroom for?
The course covers a huge range of stuff, from industry specific terminology to state specific and RE board specific items to a ton of math. I'm sure there would be a way to package the material online, but in my class there were plenty of people who needed to be sat down with to make sure the math stuff sunk in.

I'll put this out there. There were plenty of people in my class of 30 who had no shot. They came in with fancy clothes and stars in their eyes and then gave up after the first week when they realized what they had gotten themselves into. Plenty of people thought they could come and go as they please and just take the test at the end. Many of those were humbled when they failed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2018, 10:55 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,450,705 times
I *think* the in classroom time is state law and specific. Some states allow it and some don't. As for why, probably due to helping to weed out those not serious with a partial slant toward RE schools lobbying for it so it's harder to establish competition.

Old 08-04-2018, 10:57 AM

43,292 posts, read 77,115,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post

For folks who want to learn, the classroom and a good instructor offer Q&A, facial and tonal implications, and can reinforce topics in multiple ways under question, with anecdote and various perspectives.
We benefit when someone doesn't grasp, and asks questions.

The tests don't screen much out and are no assurance of capability or skill. They are so easy, grossly unqualified people vault into service as fiduciaries with input on transactions in high six figures.
And, too often, those folks attach themselves to the lowest cost firms, where they receive little or no additional training.

Anyone who stays in business for any period of time sees incredibly dull stuff from people who pass the tests and write business.

My faves are the geniuses who go into CE classes or seminars and argue with the instructor or visitor, quibbling on points that were clarified as fundamental in their first few prelicensing classes.
In front of 150--200 other eye-rolling licensees who paid attention in class.
It happens all the time, and sometimes they are BICs. Scary stuff.

Old 08-04-2018, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
For folks who want to learn, the classroom and a good instructor offer Q&A, facial and tonal implications, and can reinforce topics in multiple ways under question, with anecdote and various perspectives.
We benefit when someone doesn't grasp, and asks questions.

The tests don't screen much out and are no assurance of capability or skill. They are so easy, grossly unqualified people vault into service as fiduciaries with input on transactions in high six figures.
And, too often, those folks attach themselves to the lowest cost firms, where they receive little or no additional training.

Anyone who stays in business for any period of time sees incredibly dull stuff from people who pass the tests and write business.

My faves are the geniuses who go into CE classes or seminars and argue with the instructor or visitor, quibbling on points that were clarified as fundamental in their first few prelicensing classes.
In front of 150--200 other eye-rolling licensees who paid attention in class.
It happens all the time, and sometimes they are BICs. Scary stuff.
That still doesn't answer *why* it's not taught online.

I mean, sure, classroom is going to be better in pretty much any instance for learning something. Don't feel bad, it's not a slant on RE school when one can get a four year and masters online too.

That being said this brings up the joke about when your local grocery store cashier becomes a RE agent, the top is in...

Old 08-04-2018, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
That still doesn't answer *why* it's not taught online.

I mean, sure, classroom is going to be better in pretty much any instance for learning something. Don't feel bad, it's not a slant on RE school when one can get a four year and masters online too.

That being said this brings up the joke about when your local grocery store cashier becomes a RE agent, the top is in...
Implicit in the reply is that better instruction interface should yield better results, and the NC REC is hoping for better results.

Old 08-04-2018, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Implicit in the reply is that better instruction interface should yield better results, and the NC REC is hoping for better results.
Define "better results"

Old 08-04-2018, 11:48 AM

1,886 posts, read 4,815,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
Define "better results"
Fewer Clowns.

Old 08-04-2018, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funky Chicken View Post
Fewer Clowns.

I was going to be a bit more euphemistic.
"Better retention by more students."

Old 08-04-2018, 01:15 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times
I'm going to go out on a limb and say that maybe there are people who have never taken a GOOD online course before. These courses have active instructors who participate. They have forums with topical discussions, they have requirements to engage one another. They offer interactive media to learn specific, more challenging concepts, and they often involve class meetings of an hour or two a week to engage with each other and discuss the material... along with open office hours for the online instructor to engage with students who want to ask questions or need more help.

Online content, designed well, DOES weed out people who will not be successful. I am thinking there would be more good RE agents around here if people who are busy and working full-time could take the course and the test, then decide if it's something they want to pursue actively or passively, then go from there.

I'd imagine one gets all kinds in a classroom. Those who are there because they don't have a job and have the free time to take the class, those who are making a career change and think RE is the key to riches, and those who are just looking to get a license for some reason that's not equal to beginning a FT career in RE.

That's not any different than online and in class, unless you are a complete idiot, it is really easy to BS your way through it and come across looking intelligent even if you're confused as hell.

I have spent too much time in classrooms in person AND online not to see that this is true.

I was just thinking maybe there was some other reason that sitting in class is a "good" thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary