Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2018, 04:27 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,230,653 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by my2dogs27616 View Post
I am finally (after years of saying I was doing it) going to take the real estate class and attempt to get my license. Can anyone recommend (either from personal experience or other's ) the better schools?. I am kind of ticked that NC demands you take the seated class. Other states do not require this, I prefer online as I took those all through college with much success.

Any feedback/insight is appreciated!!
I took my classes (years and years ago) at Wake Tech. The reason was that I wanted a daytime class and Wake Tech was cheap!

We started out with about 30 people in the class. Each week, we lost about 5.

If you didn't pass the mid-term, you were not allowed to continue. We lost quite a few.

By the time of the final exam, there were about 6 of us left.

The class is all about the laws of NC and Federal laws. VERY boring stuff! Back then, you had to be able to complete a HUD (settlement statement) to pass the exam. Not sure how that has changed since we don't use HUD's anymore! I sure miss those HUD statements!

If you pass the State Exam, you'll get plenty of letters from every RE company in town. After all, you are going to be 100% commission so they will hire ANYONE!

The benefit of going with a Fonville Morisey or a HP&W is that they then give you 2 to 3 weeks of REAL TRAINING so you can learn about RE and how to fill out the MANY forms plus tips of how to find your clients.

You may want to look at the stats on which schools produce the most folks that actually pass the exams.

I'm not a huge fan of online classes but that has to do with the fact that I prefer to be around people. After all, if you aren't a "people person", this may not be the ideal job for you. RE isn't about "selling" homes as much as it is about being genuine and wanting to help buyers and sellers. It is all about relationships and it is nice to begin those relationships with other soon-to-be agents!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2018, 11:51 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
I took my classes (years and years ago) at Wake Tech. The reason was that I wanted a daytime class and Wake Tech was cheap!

We started out with about 30 people in the class. Each week, we lost about 5.

If you didn't pass the mid-term, you were not allowed to continue. We lost quite a few.

By the time of the final exam, there were about 6 of us left.

The class is all about the laws of NC and Federal laws. VERY boring stuff! Back then, you had to be able to complete a HUD (settlement statement) to pass the exam. Not sure how that has changed since we don't use HUD's anymore! I sure miss those HUD statements!

If you pass the State Exam, you'll get plenty of letters from every RE company in town. After all, you are going to be 100% commission so they will hire ANYONE!

The benefit of going with a Fonville Morisey or a HP&W is that they then give you 2 to 3 weeks of REAL TRAINING so you can learn about RE and how to fill out the MANY forms plus tips of how to find your clients.

You may want to look at the stats on which schools produce the most folks that actually pass the exams.

I'm not a huge fan of online classes but that has to do with the fact that I prefer to be around people. After all, if you aren't a "people person", this may not be the ideal job for you. RE isn't about "selling" homes as much as it is about being genuine and wanting to help buyers and sellers. It is all about relationships and it is nice to begin those relationships with other soon-to-be agents!
I like people.

I dislike being slowed down by people who read slower than me while I’m learning or who show me slide decks that I could easily have read in 5 minutes from an email.

Just one of my quirks.

My ideal learning environment is pretty much alone with asynchronous discussions with classmates.

Old 08-05-2018, 04:27 AM

43,266 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
I'm going to go out on a limb and say that maybe there are people who have never taken a GOOD online course before. These courses have active instructors who participate. They have forums with topical discussions, they have requirements to engage one another. They offer interactive media to learn specific, more challenging concepts, and they often involve class meetings of an hour or two a week to engage with each other and discuss the material... along with open office hours for the online instructor to engage with students who want to ask questions or need more help.

Online content, designed well, DOES weed out people who will not be successful. I am thinking there would be more good RE agents around here if people who are busy and working full-time could take the course and the test, then decide if it's something they want to pursue actively or passively, then go from there.

I'd imagine one gets all kinds in a classroom. Those who are there because they don't have a job and have the free time to take the class, those who are making a career change and think RE is the key to riches, and those who are just looking to get a license for some reason that's not equal to beginning a FT career in RE.

That's not any different than online and in class, unless you are a complete idiot, it is really easy to BS your way through it and come across looking intelligent even if you're confused as hell.

I have spent too much time in classrooms in person AND online not to see that this is true.

I was just thinking maybe there was some other reason that sitting in class is a "good" thing.
Yeah, I suppose that I have never taken a good online course.
The thing about licensing classes is that they really don't give a lot of insight into succeeding in brokerage or the daily grind of the pursuit.
Classes are mostly academic, with lots of interesting legal background starting with English Common Law, and pointing out pitfalls and consequences via case studies.
Unfortunately, compliance stuff is the part that too many students, and agents, find boring.

Again, the test is so easy, people can pass it without much long-term retention, and then they sleep through CE.
And, we have enough agents whose command of English is minimal enough, that while they can get through the tests, they cannot apply concepts effectively and efficiently.
Many hang a license cheaply for two years, take the BIC class for which there is no test, and loose themselves on the public without further supervision.
It is not uncommon to make an independent BIC fix multiple material errors on their written offer.

As a kid, I remember guys saying, "So and so went into the Army and they made a man out of him."
And, other guys saying, "He was a bum when he went in, and he came out a bum."
And similarly, the student has to bring something to the class, an ethical perspective, a drive to learn and retain and improve over time, a willingness to serve, or they will go in a bum and come out a bum.

Old 08-05-2018, 07:26 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,230,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
I like people.

I dislike being slowed down by people who read slower than me while I’m learning or who show me slide decks that I could easily have read in 5 minutes from an email.

Just one of my quirks.

My ideal learning environment is pretty much alone with asynchronous discussions with classmates.
Good practice for those clients that ask the same question 6 times!!!

Old 08-05-2018, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Good practice for those clients that ask the same question 6 times!!!
Oh, I can deal with individuals who do that. Just not large groups where multiple people do it. Especially if none of them plan to eventually earn me money.

Old 08-05-2018, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Yeah, I suppose that I have never taken a good online course.
The thing about licensing classes is that they really don't give a lot of insight into succeeding in brokerage or the daily grind of the pursuit.
Classes are mostly academic, with lots of interesting legal background starting with English Common Law, and pointing out pitfalls and consequences via case studies.
Unfortunately, compliance stuff is the part that too many students, and agents, find boring.

Again, the test is so easy, people can pass it without much long-term retention, and then they sleep through CE.
And, we have enough agents whose command of English is minimal enough, that while they can get through the tests, they cannot apply concepts effectively and efficiently.
Many hang a license cheaply for two years, take the BIC class for which there is no test, and loose themselves on the public without further supervision.
It is not uncommon to make an independent BIC fix multiple material errors on their written offer.

As a kid, I remember guys saying, "So and so went into the Army and they made a man out of him."
And, other guys saying, "He was a bum when he went in, and he came out a bum."
And similarly, the student has to bring something to the class, an ethical perspective, a drive to learn and retain and improve over time, a willingness to serve, or they will go in a bum and come out a bum.
Some folks are just not bright enough to know when something is a poor fit.

Old 08-05-2018, 02:11 PM

634 posts, read 912,340 times
Quote:
Not sure how that has changed since we don't use HUD's anymore!
Apologies for this detour question - I've purchased two house in the last 4 years, one in 2017. Both times used the Settlement Statement (HUD-1). Are you referring to some other document, or is "don't use HUD's anymore" a very recent change?

Old 08-05-2018, 03:05 PM

43,266 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncrkd View Post
Apologies for this detour question - I've purchased two house in the last 4 years, one in 2017. Both times used the Settlement Statement (HUD-1). Are you referring to some other document, or is "don't use HUD's anymore" a very recent change?

The HUD-1 used to be a mandatory form.
The CFPB instituted use of "Closing Disclosures." The "CD" generally replaced the Hud-1.
Buyers who are borrowing are forced to sign off on the CD 3 days before closing, or closing is delayed until three days after signing.

Some closing attorneys will still use a HUD-1 form, but usually only on cash purchases, where no lending compliance rules are in effect.
Most attorneys are using an "ALTA" form along with the CD.

Basically, in a transaction with a mortgage, we went from using one form to using two forms because of the CFPB guidelines.

Old 08-06-2018, 03:43 PM

25,118 posts, read 16,198,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my2dogs27616 View Post
I work full time currently (40-50 hours), that is one reason going to the seated class may be difficult. I have sold four properties my parents owned as rentals so I know I can do it. I asked for opinions on schools...not on my character or ability to pass the test and do the job. And, I have heard of some who barely pass or fail the test the first time so I would not say any high schooler could pass the test. I do thank all of you for the input so far.
Well, I'm glad I covered all the bases then! Some of the info ^ in your first post would have been enlightening as well.

I took HPW night school while holding down a FT job, same hours as you're talking about. They give weekend classes too.

I stand by all the assertions that I made in my first post about who can pass the test. And it's pass/fail - there is no letter grade. So my 96 was no better than the 71 others made.

Old 08-06-2018, 03:46 PM

25,118 posts, read 16,198,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncrkd View Post
if in NC, and if you paid cash, then you might use a HUD.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary