Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2018, 01:39 PM

4,249 posts, read 4,667,753 times

Advertisements

Been a while since I saw a detailed map, but on the last one my concern was that people headed from Creedmoor Road or Lead Mine Road onto 440 eastbound would still have to make a tight-radius right turn from Glenwood to the 440 EB ramp. The radius of that turn doesn't seem to be any different in the proposed project than it is now... essentially limiting every vehicle on that turn to 15 mph. It's no wonder that the lane on Glenwood that becomes 440 EB backs up west of the Lead Mine traffic lights. I don't see any way to solve that problem without a flyover or converting Glenwood to a DDI as it passes under 440. At present we have the asymmetry that traffic from westbound 440 onto westbound Glenwood has multiple lanes of offramp, but traffic from eastbound Glenwood onto eastbound 440 has a single lane that is doomed to slow speed because of geometry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2018, 06:21 PM

368 posts, read 290,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard-xyzzy View Post
Been a while since I saw a detailed map, but on the last one my concern was that people headed from Creedmoor Road or Lead Mine Road onto 440 eastbound would still have to make a tight-radius right turn from Glenwood to the 440 EB ramp. The radius of that turn doesn't seem to be any different in the proposed project than it is now... essentially limiting every vehicle on that turn to 15 mph. It's no wonder that the lane on Glenwood that becomes 440 EB backs up west of the Lead Mine traffic lights. I don't see any way to solve that problem without a flyover or converting Glenwood to a DDI as it passes under 440. At present we have the asymmetry that traffic from westbound 440 onto westbound Glenwood has multiple lanes of offramp, but traffic from eastbound Glenwood onto eastbound 440 has a single lane that is doomed to slow speed because of geometry.
The sheer volume of traffic there overwhelms a DDI with the current constriction of the 440 bridge over 70. I don't know if rebuilding that bridge is in the cards, since I'm pretty sure it's in decent shape. It's why connecting Crabtree Valley Ave. is critical, because it's hard to get any more traffic through the current constrictions on Glenwood.

(And remember the constraints of these loops the next time anybody says to put in a cloverleaf at anything other than a rural interchange.)

Old 12-28-2018, 11:13 AM

4,249 posts, read 4,667,753 times
I received an email from NCDOT today that
Moving forward, NCDOT has made the decision to delay the I-440/Glenwood Avenue improvements project and will tentatively schedule the design-build contract award for the year 2025. This is due to changes in NCDOT’s project schedules and budgets. These changes will be indicated in the coming January 2019 draft of the new State Transportation Improvement Program (STIP) document. This decision to move the project schedule was made to help balance funding availability with projects, and it is consistent with a theme echoed throughout the listening sessions of postponing the project schedule until the other Beltline widening project is completed. At this time, design options are still being developed based on your input, and we will continue to need your feedback once these options are available for review. Please stay tuned for the unveiling date of these options.
In other words, nothing much will change for another 10 years.

Old 12-28-2018, 02:45 PM

6,650 posts, read 5,546,722 times
Full email that I got

Quote:
Thank you for taking the time to participate in the recent facilitated listening sessions about the proposed transportation improvements to address congestion and safety concerns at the I-440/Glenwood Avenue interchange and surrounding area.

As Caroletta shared with you earlier this month, input from the facilitated listening breakout sessions was compiled into a Discovery Report and posted on the NCDOT webpage. Your remarks were greatly appreciated and helped us refine our design concepts moving forward in the process.

Moving forward, NCDOT has made the decision to delay the I-440/Glenwood Avenue improvements project and will tentatively schedule the design-build contract award for the year 2025. This is due to changes in NCDOT’s project schedules and budgets. These changes will be indicated in the coming January 2019 draft of the new State Transportation Improvement Program (STIP) document.

This decision to move the project schedule was made to help balance funding availability with projects, and it is consistent with a theme echoed throughout the listening sessions of postponing the project schedule until the other Beltline widening project is completed.

At this time, design options are still being developed based on your input, and we will continue to need your feedback once these options are available for review. Please stay tuned for the unveiling date of these options.

Thank you again for your efforts in helping us deliver the best for our growing city.

If you have any questions or additional feedback, contact Caroletta Daniels at cmdaniels@ncdot.gov or 919-707-2672.

Sincerely,

Joey Hopkins
Division Engineer
NCDOT – Division 5

Old 12-28-2018, 03:04 PM

4,296 posts, read 5,951,529 times
2025 is awfully far off.

Old 12-29-2018, 06:38 AM
DPK

4,594 posts, read 5,696,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFspiderman View Post
2025 is awfully far off.
Maybe they're hoping some of the people raising cain about it that want to continue living in their own sleepy-time Raleigh bubble will die off or move by then.

...but yeah, by the time this project even starts and finishes at this point, it's going to be such a cluster-f in that area.

Old 12-29-2018, 10:17 AM

652 posts, read 2,695,983 times
Well, that's unfortunate.

I was thinking about this the other day and was wondering if something like this couldn't be done? It'd be about a 7% grade to get from under 440 to over Glenwood, but it's probably feasible and sure would speed things up. I can't remember what the previously proposed design looked like (it's gone from the DOT website, right?)

Old 01-04-2019, 12:23 PM

32 posts, read 29,020 times
Default NCDOT Design

I believe this is the previous design proposed by NCDOT....
Attached Thumbnails
I-440/Glenwood Avenue interchange-capture.jpg  

Old 01-04-2019, 03:49 PM

652 posts, read 2,695,983 times
They should qualify for a noise wall(s) under DOT's traffic noise policy. There currently isn't one in that area, so it could potentially make things quieter than existing conditions for most (if they vote and approve). I can't imagine it's quiet and peaceful there now.

I guess I wouldn't be too happy either if I was the guy on the corner of Ridge and Varnell and was going to have an off-ramp 50 feet from my front door.

Old 01-04-2019, 07:06 PM
DPK

4,594 posts, read 5,696,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy_wilhelm View Post
They should qualify for a noise wall(s) under DOT's traffic noise policy. There currently isn't one in that area, so it could potentially make things quieter than existing conditions for most (if they vote and approve). I can't imagine it's quiet and peaceful there now.

I guess I wouldn't be too happy either if I was the guy on the corner of Ridge and Varnell and was going to have an off-ramp 50 feet from my front door.
If I were any of those people on Ridge Road I'd be talking to a realtor and getting the heck out of there sooner rather than later. They aren't going to win this battle, no matter how hard they try and dig their heels in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary