Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2018, 04:16 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,096,719 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_obody999 View Post
I am in a lease so Apex it is until next June. I still don't dig the 20 min drive to get to e.g. Umstead, and the traffic, though I would guess locals who grew up with it do not mind. I am used to 10 minutes to get to wilderness kayaking, hiking, mountain biking, beach, restaurants, symphony/theatre/etc and with essentially no traffic. I just wish there was more of that here in Apex, ugh. Jordan Lake and Harris Lake seem to be the closest and once this heat wave is over I think those two locations will help immensely to get through the lease year.

I walked into a spider web yesterday, and the spider, hanging from a tree as I walked from my front door to my car. Ugh. Never had that happen in my life, I do not dig spiders especially when they might be poisonous, sigh. Came out at 530 am to go to Sbux and it was dark and I had to wonder if there was as snake in the darkness, ugh. I think NC is just too foreign to me, too humid for me, I can not get the Minnesotan out of me, so I just want to find a way to get through the year here.
I'm a native and I truly dislike summers in central NC. August in particular. Its muggy, buggy and feels like a rain forest. Not nice to be outside and not much going on anywhere.
My advice is to get through the workweek in summer the best you can. My husband and I like to travel out of this area on weekends in the summer and explore. We head to the mountains and the beaches as often as we can. The once fall rolls around, things are much more pleasant and active around here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2018, 05:03 PM

888 posts, read 804,898 times
If you don't have a license to frack then go apply for one. That can take 6 weeks of your time.

Old 08-02-2018, 05:25 PM

6,799 posts, read 7,372,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_obody999 View Post
I am going to have to find that terminus, sounds like something to do as i prefer unpaved. Thank you for the tip!
http://www.triangletrails.org/pdfs/A...ge2-2015_2.pdf

Old 08-02-2018, 05:32 PM

You rented an airbnb in Chapel Hill and then moved to Apex and now find it boring? Sorry, but you weren't paying attention.

Old 08-02-2018, 05:42 PM

71 posts, read 99,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterboy526 View Post
I second this. Apex has good adult sports leagues. If you're into that, it's a good way to meet people and have fun. Do you like soccer?
Quote:
Originally Posted by primetime00 View Post
Join one of the Apex Parks and Rec adult athletic leagues. That way you'll have something to do, and meet people as well.

Can you both tell me how to join a team? I’m interested in playing this fall for soccer. I played at Green Hope.

Old 08-02-2018, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarguy316 View Post
Can you both tell me how to join a team? I’m interested in playing this fall for soccer. I played at Green Hope.
https://apm.activecommunities.com/apexparksrecculres

Old 08-02-2018, 06:38 PM

42 posts, read 53,168 times
I didn't see anyone mention Bass Lake. It's not far from you and is a nice little 2+ mile trail that is mulched surface. You can rent canoes and rowboats there too. Otherwise, I am in family mode so can't help out too much more...I'm in Holly Springs and DT Raleigh/durham etc doesn't seem far to me (I'm from NY originally), so plenty of things to do.

Old 08-02-2018, 08:11 PM

6,373 posts, read 5,484,053 times
What is this? What did I just read?

Old 08-02-2018, 10:48 PM

145 posts, read 160,059 times
The fault lies not within our starts but within ourselves - - It seems to me that what makes a place a great place to live isnt a laundrylist of things to do but people to enjoy them with. I think you could find yourself enjoying your time here if you do as others suggested and engage with folks who live here. The recommendation for the sports is an excellent idea if that is what you enjoy. Another option would be to get involved in the community. Volunteer for the Apex Farmers Market or join the rotary club, contact the the board for the music festival to get involved there, or post a flyer at the beer dispensary inviting folks to join a home brew club. I think doing this will lead to your creating connections with people which will show you why so many people come here and stay; and possibly even cause you to change your opinion of Apex.

My grandmother used to say if I was bored the problem was me not my surroundings. You had the guts and sense of adventure to try living here - I hope now you will take a further step and open your door and make some friends here.

Old 08-03-2018, 06:42 AM
DPK

4,594 posts, read 5,721,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
What is this? What did I just read?
Literally made me laugh out loud at my desk, haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ice View Post
The fault lies not within our starts but within ourselves - - It seems to me that what makes a place a great place to live isnt a laundrylist of things to do but people to enjoy them with. I think you could find yourself enjoying your time here if you do as others suggested and engage with folks who live here. The recommendation for the sports is an excellent idea if that is what you enjoy. Another option would be to get involved in the community. Volunteer for the Apex Farmers Market or join the rotary club, contact the the board for the music festival to get involved there, or post a flyer at the beer dispensary inviting folks to join a home brew club. I think doing this will lead to your creating connections with people which will show you why so many people come here and stay; and possibly even cause you to change your opinion of Apex.

My grandmother used to say if I was bored the problem was me not my surroundings. You had the guts and sense of adventure to try living here - I hope now you will take a further step and open your door and make some friends here.
This post right here is a great post. Grandma knows what's up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary