Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2018, 01:58 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,438,544 times

Advertisements

Removing that dish from my roof and taking all the additional equipment off my mantle was very liberating. Getting rid of the $65 monthly bill for 95% junk channels was the icing on the cake. I'm a minimalist by heart and it felt really good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2018, 02:09 PM

3,239 posts, read 3,539,498 times
I tried cutting the cord earlier this year. Had both PSVue and Directvnow. Wife hated them both, couldn't deal with having to change channels by scrolling instead of being able to type in a channel number, having to change inputs to get to different channels and there not being a previously channel button. So we switched to Spectrum, where I only have to rent one box (pet peeve of mine) and am not under contract (another pet peeve of mine), vostok including TV, internet and phone is $132/mth with taxes (at least for the next 9 months). No worries about outages during storms, I can watch TV on all 7 TVs in the house at the same time and by paying only 1 box rental. And the Silver package includes movie channels we never bought before, but there is a lot of value in the $20 extra to go from base package to silver (3 pay movie networks and lots of sports channels).

Old 08-13-2018, 07:50 PM

3,644 posts, read 8,577,776 times
^And you have a screen name of Cheapdad. ha

Old 08-13-2018, 08:12 PM

6,653 posts, read 5,580,541 times
how many people here still package phone in with your cable/internet plan? Just curious (from a millennial)

Old 08-14-2018, 12:21 AM

51,651 posts, read 25,790,245 times
We quit that package phone deal when we switched from ATT to TWC and back a few years ago over the annual cost negotiation.

Lost our old number and ended up with the number of a woman who had numerous financial challenges. Constant calls from collection agencies. Switched to Vonage and love it.

Old 08-14-2018, 12:24 AM

51,651 posts, read 25,790,245 times
Tired of arguing every year and now UVerse ATT TV goes on and off randomly every few weeks. Been out for a solid week now.

Tech was here and couldn't fix it. Tried to get me to switch to fiber. Said the TV would be steadier. Someone coming out tomorrow.

Thinking for just doing internet with the fiber and getting AirTV and an antennae.

Not sure what all I need.

Any suggestions?

Old 08-14-2018, 07:06 AM

5,321 posts, read 3,204,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lancers View Post
Anyone ever have any luck with Direct TV holding their promo price after the 24 month contract ends. Not gonna pay the price once all the promos drop. For phone internet and TV the extra cost looks to be about $100 a month higher than what I am currently paying.

Thinking about going back to Spectrum Silver package with phone and internet. I see they offer a 12 month deal for around $100 maybe a bit more monthly but was wondering where they will be on price once that offer ends.
Might want to double check your contract. Usually the contract goes a year beyond the promo prices (i.e. the promo is good for 24 months but you entered a 36 month contract).

That was my experience when looking 2-3 years ago, maybe things have changed.

I use DirectTV Now so I don't have a contract.

Old 08-14-2018, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
how many people here still package phone in with your cable/internet plan? Just curious (from a millennial)
Ours was separate (Vonage), but the Spectrum package discounts made it more cost advantageous to bundle it together. For some reason, Vonage would not release my old number to Spectrum so I had to get a new number. Not a huge issue because so few people call that number anyway. It has actually reduced the amount of spam calls we receive.

Old 08-14-2018, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Tired of arguing every year and now UVerse ATT TV goes on and off randomly every few weeks. Been out for a solid week now.

Tech was here and couldn't fix it. Tried to get me to switch to fiber. Said the TV would be steadier. Someone coming out tomorrow.

Thinking for just doing internet with the fiber and getting AirTV and an antennae.

Any suggestions?
This has been my hesitation of switching to ATT. All I see on Nextdoor are posts of ATT internet being down more than just sporadically. Too much aggravation. TWC/Spectrum internet has always been reliable for me (granted I am only on the 200Mb speed).

Old 08-14-2018, 07:43 AM

1,586 posts, read 1,128,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post

Any suggestions?
Go internet only, buy a Roku, subscribe to Netflix and Hulu, get an antenna... Best decision we ever made 3 years ago. Now that extra $130 we were paying to the satellite/cable companies per month goes into a mutual fund. Pay myself first instead of them! We have more entertainment then we could ever watch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary