Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2018, 01:37 PM

1,115 posts, read 1,208,291 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
Again, as a note to all of the “keyboard militia” members I’ve seen posting all over the internets today....

If you were bothered enough to post a rant admonishing student protesters pulling down a statue in Chapel Hill...but weren’t bothered enough to post a rant this time last year when a living, breathing, human-being was plowed down by a self-proclaimed nazi in Charlottesville.... you *might* want to check your priorities. Just sayin’
They aren't students.

Old 08-21-2018, 01:40 PM

2,594 posts, read 1,239,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
Apples to oranges. The Charlottesville suspect was indicted and is in jail (as he should be). The Chapel Hill protesters will go on with their lives and be referred to as hero's.

For me this has nothing to do with the statue - I'm just tired of people thinking they can do whatever they want with no consequences. Look at what the police are dealing with these days - hell just this week there has been an uproar over police apprehending someone who was literally taking full blown swings at them while resisting arrest.

You do bad things, there are consequences. Why people have a hard time grasping this lately, I don't know.
Exactly, I am totally with you on this. I feel the same way with the people who removed this historic statue of Lenin. There was no consequences for such misgivings. I mean yeah the statue is a symbol of oppression, but so what?

Old 08-21-2018, 01:45 PM

6,373 posts, read 5,482,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BullCity75 View Post
They aren't students.
First off.....yes; most of them were students. There were also other members of the community there. There were 250+ estimated people involved. Surely you can't believe none of them were students?

Second off....THAT is what you are going to hang on to huh? Interesting.

Thanks for proving my point for me though.

Also to the respond to the comments of others....

You're right....it is an apples to oranges comparison. That's exactly my point.

Showing outrage over a statue being pulled down, enough outrage to post about it on social media and internet forums (I was not referring just to OP or to this site), yet not speaking out against someone being killed in a riot by the "other side"...is beyond ridiculous.

Old 08-21-2018, 01:45 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,704,526 times
If the statue was so offensive to African Americans, then why were middle or upper class white people the only ones complaining about it? Also, I don't think I saw a single black person in the video of the statue getting toppled.

Black people don't need middle class antifa yuppies to fight their battles.

Old 08-21-2018, 01:50 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,446,569 times

Old 08-21-2018, 01:52 PM

Quote:
First off.....yes; most of them were students. There were also other members of the community there. There were 250+ estimated people involved. Surely you can't believe none of them were students?

Second off....THAT is what you are going to hang on to huh? Interesting.

Thanks for proving my point for me though.

Also to the respond to the comments of others....

You're right....it is an apples to oranges comparison. That's exactly my point.

Showing outrage over a statue being pulled down, enough outrage to post about it on social media and internet forums (I was not referring just to OP or to this site), yet not speaking out against someone being killed in a riot by the "other side"...is beyond ridiculous.
I responded to that part because it is untrue.

The people who organized the event and did the actual statue pulling down are not students. They are the same anarchist group that pulled down the statue in Durham. This was not a spontaneous event or a student led event.

Old 08-21-2018, 01:53 PM

6,373 posts, read 5,482,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
If the statue was so offensive to African Americans, then why were middle or upper class white people the only ones complaining about it? Also, I don't think I saw a single black person in the video of the statue getting toppled.

Black people don't need middle class antifa yuppies to fight their battles.
The female voice you hear leading the chanting throughout most of the videos online is that of black UNC student, Maya Little, who is facing expulsion for her involvement in vandalism of the statue last spring.

That's three counter-points knocked out...

1. Students were involved

2. African American's were involved

3. Students involved in vandalism are facing consequences.

Time to put the pitchforks and tikki torches away for the evening folks. Find something else to get angry about.

Old 08-21-2018, 01:54 PM

2,594 posts, read 1,239,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BullCity75 View Post
The people who organized the event and did the actual statue pulling down are not students. They are the same anarchist group that pulled down the statue in Durham. This was not a spontaneous event or a student led event.
Honestly, I don't care who tore it down, I'm just glad it was torn down.

Old 08-21-2018, 01:55 PM

Quote:
The female voice you hear leading the chanting throughout most of the videos online is that of black UNC student, Maya Little, who is facing expulsion for her involvement in vandalism of the statue last spring.

Time to put the pitchforks and tikki torches away for the evening folks. Find something else to get angry about.
We'll revisit this once the arrests are made.

Supporting Maya Little was the ruse for this event, just as the hoax white supremacy rally was a ruse for the Durham statue vandalism.

Old 08-21-2018, 01:57 PM

7,822 posts, read 4,560,635 times
Quote:

Game. Set. Match.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.