Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2018, 03:50 PM

2,486 posts, read 2,540,097 times

Advertisements

https://www.cbs17.com/news/local-new...ins-in-1-month

quote:

In the neighborhood targeted Tuesday night, consumer investigator Steve Sbraccia found someone who says she often leaves her vehicle unlocked.
Sanam Oberai says she’s done that, “a lot of times.”
She explained she has a baby, “so sometimes I leave extra cash in the car in case I need something.”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2018, 03:57 PM

1,255 posts, read 1,181,717 times
Yes, this is a common source of discussion on our NextDoor group. It drives me crazy, because people will complain about cash, computers and guns being stolen out of their unlocked cars. They are doing all of their neighbors a disservice.

Old 08-22-2018, 04:03 PM

6,098 posts, read 4,598,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by farebluenc View Post
Yes, this is a common source of discussion on our NextDoor group. It drives me crazy, because people will complain about cash, computers and guns being stolen out of their unlocked cars. They are doing all of their neighbors a disservice.
It's easy to habitually leave car doors locked, be distracted and forget to do this, and that just happens to be the day the thief is roaming the neighborhood.

What really flabbergasts me though are the people (I've seen them on this forum) say "Our neighborhood is safe. We never had any problems, so we don't lock our house doors when we go out and don't even do that when we go on vacation." It's more of a common problem among the older generations who spent many of their years in a very trusting (perhaps overly so) era.

Old 08-22-2018, 05:03 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,957,885 times
Jowel...you are so right. my Mother leaves her house doors unlocked whether she is there or not. my Grandmother rarely takes her car keys out of the ignition.
as far as i know, the only times she takes them out is to unlock the trunk, or give the keys to her mechanic. we ask them to lock up, but they will not.
"it's been fine all my life. y'all worry too much."

Old 08-22-2018, 05:16 PM

8,159 posts, read 10,915,192 times
I use to leave my car keys in the ignition I lock up now although I leave nothing inside of any value. I cannot believe the things people leave in cars still?

Old 08-22-2018, 05:29 PM

16,413 posts, read 12,476,648 times
I used to live in a neighborhood in Apex that had 21 cars broken into in one night. Every single car had been left unlocked. One of them belonged to an off duty law enforcement officer. And another had left the keys in the car and it was stolen (later recovered).

On the FB page, a lot of people said that they leave their car doors unlocked because they don't want a window broken out. Ummmmm ... the houses are densely packed together in the neighborhood. No one is going to bust a car window and risk waking up the whole neighborhood. And they're not going to waste their time on a car with nothing valuable looking left inside. They're looking for the easiest targets. Unlocked cars with valuables in view.

Old 08-22-2018, 06:10 PM

6,098 posts, read 4,598,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
I used to live in a neighborhood in Apex that had 21 cars broken into in one night. Every single car had been left unlocked. One of them belonged to an off duty law enforcement officer. And another had left the keys in the car and it was stolen (later recovered).

On the FB page, a lot of people said that they leave their car doors unlocked because they don't want a window broken out. Ummmmm ... the houses are densely packed together in the neighborhood. No one is going to bust a car window and risk waking up the whole neighborhood. And they're not going to waste their time on a car with nothing valuable looking left inside. They're looking for the easiest targets. Unlocked cars with valuables in view.
That's really unwise to do on Facebook since it would also be easy for a thief to figure out where someone lives since FB is directly tied to that person. Also, it's not a good idea to announce on FB that "the family and I are leaving for two weeks in Hawaii!" before the trip (or even that a person leaves home to travel on a regular basis). A burglar could also be interested in knowing this along with Aunt Sarah.

Old 08-22-2018, 06:15 PM

2,486 posts, read 2,540,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
That's really unwise to do on Facebook since it would also be easy for a thief to figure out where someone lives since FB is directly tied to the person. Also, it's not a good idea to announce on FB that "the family and I are leaving for two weeks in Hawaii" since a burglar could also be interested in knowing this along with Aunt Sarah.

And, NextDoor is full of stupid posts like:

"Will be away Aug 22-29, need a poodle-sitter."

Old 08-22-2018, 06:17 PM

16,413 posts, read 12,476,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
That's really unwise to do on Facebook since it would also be easy for a thief to figure out where someone lives since FB is directly tied to that person. Also, it's not a good idea to announce on FB that "the family and I are leaving for two weeks in Hawaii!" before the trip (or even that a person leaves home to travel on a regular basis). A burglar could also be interested in knowing this along with Aunt Sarah.

It was a closed page. You had to be a homeowner to be added to the group.

Old 08-22-2018, 06:21 PM

9,144 posts, read 14,748,165 times
So, lock your cars and use your garage for parking cars. Easy peasy problem solved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary