Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2018, 05:47 PM

11,222 posts, read 8,301,386 times

Advertisements

To answer my question: Yes, the greenways were all in good shape.

We rode from Cary/Apex, near Costco, through Cary to NCMA, toward Crabtree mall, to shelly lake, and all the way up to Falls Dam. Absolutely no problems. From the dam, we went down Neuse River Trail (NRT) all the way past Anderson Point Park, to Walnult Creek Trail. No problems with flooding or trail conditions, except the one noted bridge closure just north of Anderson Point. The bridge was passable if someone wanted to pass their bike over the barrier (don't ask me how I know).

Walnut creek had a few wet spots, but twice on our rides, we came on crews cleaning them up, and really had no problems at all. By the time we were at the Farmers market, we were already 60 miles in, so it only seemed right to split a fried seafood platter at the farmers with a cheerwine. Yum. Fueled up, we got back on the bikes (blaaaaaah) and headed to Cary. I made one navigational error. In trying to cut miles and get home, we tried to go up Beryl, but I forgot about the state fair, so we had to deal with bumper bumper to traffic for miles, and lot of chaos. We got through all of that with little problem and headed home through DT Cary, map is attached (I left off beginning and end to hide my home).

All that to say that if you don't mind a little bit of adventure and dirty trails, they are all rideable, and it was a BEAUTIFUL day to be out on the bike. I'm heading to West Cary tomorrow, and will only post if there are big problems.
Attached Thumbnails
Neuse River Greenway Flooding Damage?-ride-101218.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2018, 12:09 PM

634 posts, read 913,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
... one noted bridge closure just north of Anderson Point ...
Are they making progress on this bridge repair? I was thinking it should be finished about now or within a few weeks, to allow (cough) normal passage.

Last edited by ncdust; 10-23-2018 at 12:26 PM..

Old 10-26-2018, 05:16 AM

49 posts, read 200,368 times
Great news, I didn't realize the bridge was physically passable. Last time I tried there were I-Beams to walk across but pushing a bike across in bike shoes was not something I wanted to venture. I think the project was scheduled for Nov completion so I suppose it should be just about done.

Old 11-07-2018, 02:24 PM

159 posts, read 287,085 times
I've been waiting for this route to open again, is it like running an obstacle course on the approach to the bridge deck or a strip of yellow tape to limbo under or what?

Best,

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2nc View Post
Great news, I didn't realize the bridge was physically passable. Last time I tried there were I-Beams to walk across but pushing a bike across in bike shoes was not something I wanted to venture. I think the project was scheduled for Nov completion so I suppose it should be just about done.

Old 11-08-2018, 08:21 AM

31 posts, read 34,252 times
The bridge is blocked with a gate on either side. The concrete needs to settle and bridge is scheduled to open on 11/29.

Old 11-27-2018, 11:11 AM

634 posts, read 913,056 times
On Sunday, I rode the trail north of the bridge repair, on up to the dam. There was a large tree down across the trail approx. 6 miles down from the dam, and overall lots of debris, flooding in some places a few inches deep and a LOT of mud.

Fenders would have been nice ...

Last edited by ncdust; 11-27-2018 at 11:36 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary