Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2018, 02:09 PM

1,070 posts, read 391,932 times

Advertisements

I have a very nice high-end system - I’m a semi audiophile. Anyone else have a high-end system? Might be fun to chat etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2018, 10:16 AM

1,586 posts, read 1,128,007 times
I consider myself an audio snob... (though the budget says otherwise...LOL!). Have always been more focused on the car stereo side of things, but my home, computer, work systems are decent.

In the house we have a Yamaha 7.1 HT, with Athena speakers all around. Except for the center channel which is a Klipsch MTM. We wanted the dialog to be presented more up front so that's why we went with the Klipsch for the center.

For my computer speakers I use Audio Engines A5+. Absolutely love them!

At work I use an Audio Engine D3 24bit DAC amp for my headphones. Headphones are Marshalls in ear. Not the absolute greatest, but are the balance between good rock sound (without being bass heavy like many cheap phones) and not being large on my head in an office environment.

In the truck I have a Pioneer deck feeding two Arc Audio amps. Hybrid Audio Legatia 6/5", 3" and tweets separate speakers up front and an Image Dynamics IDQ10" DVC in a 1 cu ft sealed box stuffed with polyfiber fill.

Old 08-13-2018, 10:46 AM

845 posts, read 1,687,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyNC View Post
I have a very nice high-end system - I’m a semi audiophile. Anyone else have a high-end system? Might be fun to chat etc.
1962 McIntosh MX-110 preamp/tuner with circa 1978 McIntosh MC-2205 power amp. Speakers are model Ohm F - fully restored omnidirectional. Turntable Oracle Delphi Mark III with Mission 774 tonearm, Shure V15 Type IV cartridge and Jico SAS HE stylus. I play CDs through a "Chi-Fi" Yaqin SD32-A CD deck with tuber output, and have rolled in some sweet Psvane tubes ot replace the mediocre stock tubes that came with it. We have about 300 CDs plus a dozen or more box sets, and about 300 LPs. Just bought 150 VG+ to near mint classical LPs for $20 on Facebook marketplace (not included in the 300 count above.) For the small Polk Audio deck speakers I use a little 9 watt per channel tube amp that my buddy built from a kit. Media alternates between my wife's iPod Classic, my FiiO X3 second gen digital player, and a Dell laptop with Audioquest Dragonfly Black external DAC.

We moved here in October and were using JBL LSR308 power monitors with the laptop as source when we were in our apartment. Moved into a house 6 weeks ago and about to break out the big vintage system again. Need to run speaker wire through the crawlspace and build an audio gear rack before we'll have music again.

TonyNC - what are you running? I was into audio gear back in the 70's solely due to my love of music. Life got in the way, sold the gear, and then finally got back into it about 8 years ago. It took five years to put my system together from various used and new pieces. I'm not a tweaker - have not changed it in 3 years.

I have an all NHT kick-a*s home theater audio system that I assembled fro used and demo gear 12 years ago and never installed it on our old house (again - life got in the way.) We have a 400 sq ft bonus room at our new house, which my wife has agreed can be the "media room" (i.e. home theater audio and TV - we have vintage system in the LR but no TV there or in BRs.) Thinking of doing the build-out to allow Dolby Atmos when I am ready to upgrade processor.

Old 08-13-2018, 11:26 AM

1,070 posts, read 391,932 times
When we got married 100 years ago - well, not quite 100 LOL - the first thing we bought was a stereo system - that’s how important music is to me. ~12 years ago I bought Cary tube amps and preamp etc. ~5 years ago I went “all-in.” I wanted to replace my Cary speakers and I stumbled across Tannoy speakers. (Yeah, Cary tried multiple times to make speakers and they finally gave up). I was gonna spend $10-15K on these speakers. Instead, I bought the following:

I have Tannoy Kingdom Royal speakers, VAC preamp and VAC amps (4), Clearaudio turntable, Ortofon Credenza cartridge, Esoteric CD Player, Esoteric Clock Generator, and Critical Rack System.

I started with one pair of amps, “test drove” adding a second pair on my system - huge difference. I “test drove” the atomic clock on my system - huge difference. Believe it or not, the biggest improvement was adding the Critical Rack system, which is cement slabs - amazing improvement! I had never even heard of an atomic clock or cement racks.

I “hate” my turntable. As good as my CD player is, the turntable by comparison, makes the the CD player sound “OK-fine.”

You can now buy vinyl for most new music, so, I don’t much use my CD player.

I am NOT a technician or engineer and I have a “50,000 foot view” of my system. It’s a big black box as far as I’m concerned - an incredible black box!

Old 08-13-2018, 01:42 PM

2,863 posts, read 4,676,321 times
Low end here but I enjoy reading conversations on high end stuff. Monitor Audio Silver 10's, older NHT subwoofer (2 10" drivers), Oppo Blu Ray, Outlaw processor and 5 channel amp (450w x 2, 265w x 5).

Was at Circuit City this weekend to buy something for my son's computer. Surprised to see Mcintosh products there.

Old 08-13-2018, 06:51 PM

164 posts, read 143,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C_Lan View Post
Low end here but I enjoy reading conversations on high end stuff. Monitor Audio Silver 10's, older NHT subwoofer (2 10" drivers), Oppo Blu Ray, Outlaw processor and 5 channel amp (450w x 2, 265w x 5).

Was at Circuit City this weekend to buy something for my son's computer. Surprised to see Mcintosh products there.
You were "at" Circuit City? The Amazon storefront? I thought both the physical and website reboots were delayed.

Old 08-13-2018, 07:22 PM

2,905 posts, read 5,920,622 times
I love high end audio and video gear but have a mid level system. Just built a 7.2.2 Atmos theater in my basement using mostly Martin Logan (got a huge discount through a friend) speakers with some custom Seaton subs. It sounds amazing but I'm sure there is better. I have gone through and tuned it (sort of) but would like to continue improving it in the future. We love it - watch even regular TV down there now.

I also love improving audio in my vehicles. The only one of our 4 cars that hasn't been touched is my wife's (she doesn't care).

Old 08-14-2018, 06:19 AM

5,876 posts, read 6,944,341 times
I built a pre-amp, amp and a couple speakers that were designed by Dr. Leach, the audio prof at Ga Tech for decades. Unfortunately, none of them survived the moves over the years.

Old 08-14-2018, 07:23 AM

4,261 posts, read 4,709,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don6170 View Post
I built a pre-amp, amp and a couple speakers that were designed by Dr. Leach, the audio prof at Ga Tech for decades. Unfortunately, none of them survived the moves over the years.
Happy to say that I knew Dr Leach. He was a brilliant designer of audio electronics. What many people don't know is that he consulted on mine detectors for the Navy and surveillance radars for the Air Force (he couldn't talk about those much). After serving as a professor for 38 years and winning numerous awards for teaching, he died in 2010.

Old 08-14-2018, 07:34 AM

2,863 posts, read 4,676,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeerHeer View Post
You were "at" Circuit City? The Amazon storefront? I thought both the physical and website reboots were delayed.

Doh! Best buy. It's been well over 15 years since I've set foot in either. Have not kept up with Circuit City so I was not aware of the re-boot!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary