Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2008, 09:38 PM

1,166 posts, read 3,910,881 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know anything about Carol Woods or the Forest at Duke? Or for that matter about any other retirement communities in the triangle area? Which would be the best city in which to retire? Durham or Chapel Hill?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2008, 06:25 AM

2,834 posts, read 12,033,037 times
The only reason I know about the Carol Woods facility is from growing up in chapel hill. There is currently a 10 year waiting list to get into the facility, and I have never heard of a person not liking it! They have a preschool on campus so that the young kids and the residents can interact, have art classes together, and the residents often teach the little ones. I have a feeling at some point my mom may put her name on the list there, but that may be because it seems that many of her friends are doing the same.

Leigh

Old 04-02-2008, 06:30 AM

Thanks for you response,Leigh. I fear that you have confirmed one of my concerns - the ten year waiting list. I fear that we'd like to enter a community in less than ten years. I'll look into our chances anyway.

Old 04-02-2008, 06:32 AM

823 posts, read 3,922,586 times
According to an acquantaince in the health care field, Carol Woods has an amazingly good health care record, far beyond the norm. My husband has a client at the Forest at Duke and is doing well there. We have friends at Carol Woods and they really like it there.

Old 04-02-2008, 07:16 AM

1,627 posts, read 6,504,000 times
Really it depends what you're looking for. Carol Woods is very nice, but it's also set off from stores, etc. so you'd have to take a shuttle to go anywhere once the day comes when you can't drive. I would not like that.

The Cedars at Meadowmont is very very nice, and you can walk into the "town" there for a coffee, to go to dinner, get groceries, whatever. Also a very well-educated population (as is Carol Woods and the Forest at Duke).

I have friends who are going to be moving to the Forest at Duke and they are looking forward to it. For me, I wouldn't like the location.

The key is figuring out what you want in a retirement community, whether you want to be renting or buying, what kind of "system" they have once you leave (is the place sold at fair market value? Do they just give your heirs 80% of your original purchase price--which of course could be worth very little if you're there a long time--etc)?

I don't think anyone can tell you which is "better" b/c everyone wants different things. The people at Carol Woods probably love it b/c they chose a place which fit their wants/needs. Same with Cedars, the Forest at Duke, etc. The nice thing about this area is there are lots of really good choices so go on their little "tours", think about what's important to you, and I'm sure you'll find a great fit!! Good luck.

Old 04-02-2008, 10:02 AM

413 posts, read 1,255,185 times
Don't discount Chatham Co either. There is a very nice new facility near Fearrington Village in Chatham Co. Since it's new, I don't think it has the long waiting list. I've heard many good comments about it, but don't know anyone living there myself.

Old 04-10-2008, 08:01 PM

19 posts, read 52,810 times
The center associated with Fearrington Village in Chatham County, about six miles south of Chapel Hill, is Galloway Ridge. The medical support services are part of Duke.

Old 05-10-2008, 04:22 PM

Robert, what do you mean when you say that the medical support services are a part of Duke?

Old 07-03-2010, 08:34 PM

What don't you like about the location of th Forest at Duke? Which community has a better location?

Old 07-03-2010, 09:14 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,071,612 times
As I remember the gossip, the long waiting list grew tremendously after word got out that Bill Friday could not get his wife into Carol Woods. This started a panic and lots of folks decided to register early and hopefully be ready when their number came up. Friend has been on the list for 3 years. She paid $1,300 and says she gets $1,00 back when she actually moves in.

It must be something great to have such a reputation but surely there are other facilities for people who need a place today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary