Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2018, 07:07 PM

3,444 posts, read 2,820,038 times

Advertisements

One house in our neighborhood is a vacation rental. It's usually rented out about 1 week a month on average, I would guess. Two things I have observed, the house is well maintained (we actually rented it last Thanksgiving for family since both my dad's house and our house combined were not big enough for everyone) and in speaking with the owner, she's never mentioned it being trashed or damaged. Renters do love to run the A/C though! I walk by every morning with my dogs and when there is a renter, the A/C is going. We've never turned our air conditioning on since we moved up here, our mornings are between 59-63 degrees all summer long. I guess they figure if they are paying to rent, then they should be able to run the A/C as much as they want.

Second is that the house is rented all year long (on average 1 week a month). We've had winter, spring, summer and fall visitors there. I mean, we even rented it in November. Yes, during the dead of winter, it may not rent if we have snow, but if we don't, it's still rented out throughout the winter months.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2018, 07:42 PM

289 posts, read 255,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hey_guy View Post
I dont think you've really gotten a grip on the seasonalness of mountain rentals

Was this comment directed toward me? If so, what I have found from my research is that vacation mountain houses rent solidly from late spring through the whole summer. Fall is a particularly strong time for that area, and then winter is strong due to skiers, and high demand for Christmas. A few of the places that I have looked at have an additional small cabin or two on the land which might be popular with hunters and fisherman as well as younger folks with less to spend on their vacations.

My wife and I go to the mountains mainly during the winter, and we always have a difficult time finding a place to stay. Even cheap motels are filled. I think there is, as you say, a "seasonalness" to the mountains, I just don't think everybody has the same preferences, or enjoys doing the same things. So, your season for the mountains might not be the same as mine. We used to rent a lake house in western MD, and that area certainly had high and low seasons as far as vacation rental demand. I just don't think it is the same for mountain houses.

Old 08-30-2018, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenlove View Post
One house in our neighborhood is a vacation rental. It's usually rented out about 1 week a month on average, I would guess. Two things I have observed, the house is well maintained (we actually rented it last Thanksgiving for family since both my dad's house and our house combined were not big enough for everyone) and in speaking with the owner, she's never mentioned it being trashed or damaged. Renters do love to run the A/C though! I walk by every morning with my dogs and when there is a renter, the A/C is going. We've never turned our air conditioning on since we moved up here, our mornings are between 59-63 degrees all summer long. I guess they figure if they are paying to rent, then they should be able to run the A/C as much as they want.

Second is that the house is rented all year long (on average 1 week a month). We've had winter, spring, summer and fall visitors there. I mean, we even rented it in November. Yes, during the dead of winter, it may not rent if we have snow, but if we don't, it's still rented out throughout the winter months.

Thanks for the post! As I thought, mountain rentals should rent just fine all year long. Like I wrote in another post, my wife and I spend most of our time in the mountains during the winter, and we often have a difficult time finding places to stay. Different people like going to the mountains during different times of the year. Thanks again.

Old 08-30-2018, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
But that's the thing - are you going to screen every group that spends a week at your vacation home? Nope, you're going to rely on a management company, and they definitely don't care.

I think you've been lucky thus far with your other rentals, but maybe I'm wrong.

Thanks for your reply. I would have to depend on the experience of others with PM companies to choose the best one possible. If they don't care, then they will not remain in my employ. They can't all be bad

As far as being lucky with my other rentals ... maybe I have enjoyed a little luck. Then again, maybe my good experience has come as a result of thorough screening, smart landlording, and strong lease agreements. My properties are in multiple states, and I can't imagine quitting anytime soon. I far prefer that source of income to my job!! Thanks again.

Old 08-31-2018, 07:34 AM

797 posts, read 3,580,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hey_guy View Post
I dont think you've really gotten a grip on the seasonalness of mountain rentals
No offense, but you don't know what you are talking about in regard to mountain rentals. I own a ton of rentals, both here in the Triangle (traditional year lease tenants), oceanfront beach rentals in Topsail (week to week tenants), and mountain rentals in Sugar Mountain/Seven Devils (week to week tenants). There are much more year round bookings in my mountain rentals than at the beach. People love the dead of winter for snowtubing/skiing/snowboarding of course, but then just as much all summer to avoid the humidity and heat that is everywhere in NC but at the high elevations in the mountains. Then you have all the people coming for the fall for leaves, and just as many in the spring when leaves come back.

Old 08-31-2018, 07:37 AM

797 posts, read 3,580,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
But that's the thing - are you going to screen every group that spends a week at your vacation home? Nope, you're going to rely on a management company, and they definitely don't care.

I think you've been lucky thus far with your other rentals, but maybe I'm wrong.
Your wrong. You don't have enough hands on experience to know. The original poste and myself do. I manage over 50 tenants at my properties (and that is not including the beach or mountain week to week tenants). There is no "luck" involved. Sure, sometimes things come up in people's personal lives and things turn for them, but 99% of the time you screen well and place correct tenants and have your properties in good shape it is very minimal work each month. Literally probably less than 8 hours of work a month, and that is for me managing over 30 rentals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary