U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2006, 05:51 AM

2 posts, read 6,698 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I am new to this country and have just moved in from India. I have a son who will be ready to go to school in a years time and so far from my research I have found that Chapel Hill has one of the best public schooling system. However, I have a few questions and would appreciate if someone could provide me more information on the following;
1) How is the county schooling system designed? Can one go to any of the schools in the county as long as he/she is the county boundary?
2) What is the difference between Chapel Hill county schools and Carrboro County schools? The website says Chapel Hill Carrboro County schools. Does it mean that they fall under the same administration and the Carrboro county schools are academically as good as their counterparts in Chapel Hill?
3) If we stay at Carrboro, can I send my son to a school in Chapel Hill?

Thanks in Advance,
NS
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2006, 06:03 AM

1,531 posts, read 7,165,241 times
I can understand how you can be confused....

In North Carolina, most of the time, schools are run by the counties. For example, Wake County runs all the schools in Raleigh, Cary, Apex and the other cities in that county.

However, Orange County is different. The cities of Chapel Hill and Carrboro have come together and run a separate school system from the rest of Orange County.
So...If you live in Hillsborough or Efland, Orange County runs the schools.
But if you live in the cities of Chapel Hill or Carrboro, then the schools are run by the Chapel Hill/Carrboro City school system. But it doesn't matter which of those two cities you live in, they share the same schools. (Confusing, I know.)

Old 12-14-2006, 06:22 AM

2,834 posts, read 11,596,303 times
Raleighrob is very accurate in his statement. chapel hill/carrboro city schools also have more money/resources than orange county schools (there are places in chapel hill that are not in the city limits, that are in orange county only so you would end up in orange county schools). Chapel Hill and Carrboro have a special school tax (that the voters agreed to) that goes directly to the schools, orange county does not have that specific tax.

Your child would go to one of the city schools if you are in the city limits, and the school would depend on which "node" you are in. The chapel hill carrboro area is much smaller than the wake county area, so there are not as many schools, not as many people moving into the area, so much less redistricting.

I would check out the chapel hill carrboro city schools website and look up student assignment. You can look at the different nodes for the schools, and you can see the districting map.

Hope this helps.
Leigh

Old 12-14-2006, 08:56 AM

2 posts, read 6,698 times
Thanks so much for your valuable suggestions. I ran a search with 'student assignment' as keyword and got lots of interesting information.

Thanks again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary