Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2018, 08:58 AM

34,941 posts, read 36,346,338 times

Advertisements

All,

I need to make clear that I do find this a worthy topic. At the moment, it's also a volatile topic.

This makes it hard to moderate here on the local forums and it does seem that it sews a good deal of ill will.

Now, when this case makes it to court or there's a significant development, I welcome another thread on it, but please keep in mind that we must follow local forum protocol (no dragging national issues into it unless they are to make a comparison... no critiques of the current POTUS... valid or not).

Please do try to remember that the people who post here are your neighbors.

Or, to hearken back to Rodney King after the LA Riots (no matter what you thought of him, the man had a good point).

Can't we all just get along?

(I will leave this thread open so that you can talk for a little while, but don't start attacking each other or I'll close it. We all know there are strong opinions, but be respectful of your neighbors. If you're not a local or someone with ties to this area and you see this thread, please remember that and behave like a visitor to someone else's house.)

Thanks.

Old 08-30-2018, 10:31 AM

2,486 posts, read 2,551,386 times
I'll feel bad for UNC-CH community if Cole Daniels' "bad ink" story makes the 6:30 PM national news.

https://www.wral.com/texts-show-poli...test/17805027/

Two of my spawn graduated from there and are employed locally.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2018, 03:31 PM

25,115 posts, read 16,274,867 times
it's a political topic, and there's a forum for that.

Old 08-30-2018, 07:43 PM

875 posts, read 1,164,806 times
That being said, I don't think a mob has the right to decide what others are allowed to see, especially if that mob is part of a national organization that plans events like this. Put some additional context with the statue like the horrible nature of the speech given at the dedication and how it led to Jim Crow laws and other travesties. Make it a monument to small-mindedness. History is painful and shouldn't be covered up or destroyed.

Last edited by RedZin; 08-31-2018 at 08:46 AM.. Reason: Discussing moderation. Nobody called you a racist. You should read it again.

Old 08-31-2018, 02:04 AM

6,472 posts, read 9,856,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
it's a political topic, and there's a forum for that.
Its also a local topic

Old 08-31-2018, 08:52 AM

34,941 posts, read 36,346,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTLightning View Post
Its also a local topic
This is always the tricky part of things, SVT.

It is a local topic. And it's a political topic. And, if we can keep the conversation local and not wander off on a tangent about the US government, I can generally deal with having to moderate that conversation.

I'm not secretive about my political views BECAUSE the P&OC forum is one that I never moderate unless it's to remove troll posts where someone is trying to sell used underwear from Russian hookers or something that is obvious spam.

If I moderated P&OC, I would be more subdued in my views.

That said, I am not going to disallow comments in this forum that run counter to my views on a subject. I cannot see what in the world would be fair about that.

This does not mean I'm going to be okay with people making racist comments or being disrespectful of their neighbors, though.

It's a very fine line. And, often, there are people who get aggravated and/or think that because I don't agree with their views, I'm not fair to them.

Truth is, some of the most vocal folks like that are also pretty much difficult people no matter the topic. They just don't see it. Which is a shame.

I know I am sometimes firm in my views, but if I'm ever rude to a person, I apologize for it. I realize I'm not always right and I sometimes have bad days or feel strongly about a topic.

Still, I'm flexible. I want to be fair and I want us to be able to discuss local issues, even if they are political.

The thread on that topic started out more controversial than it needed to be and ended because it went way beyond the scope of the statue toppling.

I really hope we can discuss local stuff without the aggression that popped up in that last thread. I truly do.

Old 08-31-2018, 10:29 AM

1,423 posts, read 1,484,216 times
God, I HATE the P&OC subforum!

Either way, I don’t agree with the vandalism and believe that those who toppled the statue should be liable BUT I also didn’t like the statue. I won’t miss it, and hopefully It won’t be replaced.

Old 08-31-2018, 11:08 AM

1,257 posts, read 1,191,954 times
I appreciate discussion, but things got very ugly in those threads and didn't embody the helpful nature that this forum usually has for visitors or people considering a move.

Old 08-31-2018, 01:27 PM

610 posts, read 748,006 times
I find vandalism/mob rule unacceptable, no matter what the cause.

Old 08-31-2018, 02:03 PM

8,159 posts, read 10,958,260 times
I approve protests 100%...no matter who you are, what you believe in. BUT keep it peaceful!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary