Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2018, 12:24 PM

16,414 posts, read 12,487,571 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LM117 View Post
Here’s an article that covers this issue:

https://www.journalnow.com/news/ask_...19221a9e7.html

In other words, unless Cary or Wake County have strict noise ordinances (i.e. decibel limits), then you’re likely not gonna have much of a leg to stand on.
ToC has this to say about motor vehicles:

Quote:
Sec. 22*108. Motor vehicles.
It shall be unlawful to operate or allow the operation of any motor vehicle in the town:
(1) By engaging in operations which create unreasonably loud and disturbing noises, or
(2) By playing any radio, tape player, compact disc player or other sound*making device or instrument from within the motor vehicle so that the sound is plainly audible 30 feet away from the vehicle. This subsection shall not apply to motor vehicles used for business or political purposes which, in the normal course of conducting business, use sound*making devices or sound*amplification equipment, so long as such devices or equipment do not register more than 60 dB(A) at or on the edge of the pavement.
(Code 1982, § 13*17; Ord. No. 93*29, 5*13*1993; Ord. No. 05*003, 2*24*2005; Ord. No. 2013*Code*05, 10*10*2013)
And also this about noise impacting residential life:

Quote:
Sec. 22*107. Sounds impacting residential life.
Except as provided in sections 22*105 (exceptions) or 22*109 (relating to amplified noise), it shall be unlawful for anyone to create or cause a sound that exceeds 60 dB(A) affecting any occupied residential structure or unit other than the unit occupied by the person creating the sound.
(Code 1982, § 13*14; Ord. No. 93*29, 5*13*1993; Ord. No. 94*022, § 1, 8*11*1994; Ord. No. 05*003, 2*24*2005; Ord. No. 05*011, 8*11*2005; Ord. No. 2012*Code*03, 4*19*2012; Ord. No. 2013*Code*05, 10*10*2013)
I'm just not sure that these ever get enforced.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2018, 12:39 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,433,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
So I take it you hate your neighbors?
Yeah no kidding. Kinda like the guy down the street that likes to show off his R8 by revving it in his driveway.

I can't wait for society to adopt electric cars, personally. It's so much more civilized.

Old 09-07-2018, 12:49 PM

2,863 posts, read 4,674,752 times
It's the cheap fart cans that are loud and sound like crap. I heard and saw a tricked out Honda that sounded like a 2-stroke dirt bike. I looked only because I thought for sure someone was riding my old kx250 on the street!

Old 09-07-2018, 01:37 PM

2,486 posts, read 2,541,086 times
Quote:
So I take it you hate your neighbors?

Wrong!

• Press the Mustang Button on the Steering Wheel
  • Access the Mustang MyMode Settings Menu
  • Use Arrow Keys to Select Exhaust Mode
  • Select Quiet Mode
  • Turn Quiet Start On
  • Set a Quiet Start/End Time with Arrow Keys
  • Enjoy the Ride

Old 09-07-2018, 01:43 PM

105 posts, read 101,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
Yeah no kidding. Kinda like the guy down the street that likes to show off his R8 by revving it in his driveway.

I can't wait for society to adopt electric cars, personally. It's so much more civilized.
Electric cars will get fake sound for pedestrian safety. Get ready for guys to hack their cars to play mumble rap while driving.

Old 09-07-2018, 01:46 PM

653 posts, read 2,704,272 times
I don't mind a good sounding exhaust that isn't excessively loud. But I have a neighbor with a four-cylinder Jeep and some ridiculous muffler (or none?) that vibrates the whole house every time he starts up and sits in his driveway idling for minutes and minutes. It has to be one of the worst sounds on the planet.

The issue with enforcement is most of the cops probably don't care, and some probably also enjoy it to an extent. Unless someone is acting stupid or there is a valid complaint, they're not going to bother.

Old 09-07-2018, 01:51 PM

16,414 posts, read 12,487,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K4GPB View Post
Wrong!

• Select Quiet Mode
  • Turn Quiet Start On
  • Enjoy the Ride
Can you set the default to Quiet Mode so it always starts that way? Or would you have to go through that process every time? I don't know about you, but I'd venture to guess that most people would get tired of doing that. Or they'd forget after previously enjoying their car on the loudest setting (what was that, track? I don't recall from watching the vid earlier)

Old 09-07-2018, 01:56 PM

7,189 posts, read 6,811,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C_Lan View Post
It's the cheap fart cans that are loud and sound like crap. I heard and saw a tricked out Honda that sounded like a 2-stroke dirt bike. I looked only because I thought for sure someone was riding my old kx250 on the street!
God, I hate those fart cans. I'm not a fan of glasspacks, either. I much prefer the chambered style mufflers like Flowmaster.

Old 09-07-2018, 02:03 PM

7,189 posts, read 6,811,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy_wilhelm View Post
I don't mind a good sounding exhaust that isn't excessively loud. But I have a neighbor with a four-cylinder Jeep and some ridiculous muffler (or none?) that vibrates the whole house every time he starts up and sits in his driveway idling for minutes and minutes. It has to be one of the worst sounds on the planet.

The issue with enforcement is most of the cops probably don't care, and some probably also enjoy it to an extent. Unless someone is acting stupid or there is a valid complaint, they're not going to bother.
I've got a Flowmaster Super 10 Series muffler on my '99 Jeep Cherokee with the 4.0L I6 engine and it's surprisingly tame at cruising speeds. It's when you really get into it that it roars. I previously ran the Flowmaster 40 Series Delta Flow for years but it wasn't deep enough for my taste, plus it rusted out since it wasn't stainless steel.

It's a shame Chrysler stopped making the 4.0L motors. They're practically bulletproof.

Old 09-07-2018, 02:38 PM

2,486 posts, read 2,541,086 times
Quote:
Can you set the default to Quiet Mode so it always starts that way? Or would you have to go through that process every time? I don't know about you, but I'd venture to guess that most people would get tired of doing that. Or they'd forget after previously enjoying their car on the loudest setting (what was that, track? I don't recall from watching the vid earlier)

Yes, the user can set quiet mode to be on for certain hours!

• Select Quiet Mode
  • Turn Quiet Start On
  • Enjoy the Ride
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary