Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2018, 02:16 PM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
It's hard for me to see the big picture because there are so many moving parts. But I think they mentioned (unless I heard it somewhere else) at our district meeting that one of the main goals was to move people west to east to make room for all the new development in the west. Which doesn't seem fair, but it's not like they can just throw up new schools as fast as they throw up new houses.
Sure that's what they are saying. They didn't even email a lot of the people who were affected, and if you were being reassigned they were supposed to send those people emails. A lot of the people in the Reedy Creek base were never notified. They never told anyone that goes to ECMS that they were thinking of making it a traditional calendar. And let's call it like it is - they think that moving DDMS kids to ECMS will magically make it a better school. ECMS and WCMS are remarkably similar in every way (enrollment, F&R lunch) on the school report card but WCMS outperforms it. People are BLASTING the ECMS administration on those forums. If WCPSS thinks the DDMS parents are going to accept a disinterested admin after what they have at DDMS they can guess again. They may as well make the change now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2018, 02:24 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,259,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Sure that's what they are saying. They didn't even email a lot of the people who were affected, and if you were being reassigned they were supposed to send those people emails. A lot of the people in the Reedy Creek base were never notified. They never told anyone that goes to ECMS that they were thinking of making it a traditional calendar. And let's call it like it is - they think that moving DDMS kids to ECMS will magically make it a better school. ECMS and WCMS are remarkably similar in every way (enrollment, F&R lunch) on the school report card but WCMS outperforms it. People are BLASTING the ECMS administration on those forums. If WCPSS thinks the DDMS parents are going to accept a disinterested admin after what they have at DDMS they can guess again. They may as well make the change now.
So you think the goal is diversity versus relief of overcrowding? Or are you just saying that on the DDMS/ECMS front.

Old 09-08-2018, 02:25 PM

1,231 posts, read 3,148,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPK View Post
It's literally in at the start of the article:

Nobody reads anymore.
Sorry did not read cause don't care.

Old 09-08-2018, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
So you think the goal is diversity versus relief of overcrowding? Or are you just saying that on the DDMS/ECMS front.
IDK if it's diversity or they think that reassigning people will magically bring test scores up. Same thing with the Mills Park-to-Carpenter reassignment.

Why are they moving some people out of DDMS and moving others in? If the school were truly in need of relief, why move people in to replace the ones that are leaving (and my youngest just finished DDMS....they are using all their trailers and some classes are quite large but it's obviously not having an adverse affect on the school).

Old 09-08-2018, 07:55 PM

Quote:
IDK if it's diversity or they think that reassigning people will magically bring test scores up. Same thing with the Mills Park-to-Carpenter reassignment.

Why are they moving some people out of DDMS and moving others in? If the school were truly in need of relief, why move people in to replace the ones that are leaving (and my youngest just finished DDMS....they are using all their trailers and some classes are quite large but it's obviously not having an adverse affect on the school).
Yeah I dunno. I'd like to think there's a method to the madness but who knows. I don't think builders are an influence though like many seem to be making accusations of. And the DDMS board district board member is apparently a realtor and people are playing the conflict of interest card. I don't buy that. We'll see what happens in the next draft.

Old 09-08-2018, 07:58 PM

117 posts, read 140,476 times
Quote:

It's a West to East thing, they say. Kids are being reassigned from overcrowded MPE to overcrowded Carpenter, and the easternmost Carpenter kids are being moved out and eastward too.

Seems like a solution that does not consider how to impact as few people as possible.

The Cameron Pond/MPE thing is contrary to the WCPSS "pillars" where they talk about active lifestyles and walkability to school.

They complain about not enough bus drivers yet are making the decision to force hundreds of kids on to buses from Cameron Pond - no sense whatsoever.

Cary can expand westward, yes absolutely. And they can and will build more schools (as of 2020, they will have opened 3 new ES, 1 new MS, and 1 new HS west of Davis Drive (and all but one ES of those are west of 55).

Old 09-08-2018, 08:00 PM

465 posts, read 699,493 times
One of my friends is being affected. My understanding from speaking with them is that the issues are:

-This greenway is being built so that kids can use it to go to their current school but with reassignment the greenways will not be used at all.

-Carpenter is not rated as highly as Mills Park and is year round versus traditional

-Kids can no longer be grandfathered in as long as transportation is provided except for 5th, 8th, and 12th grades for 1 year so it affects kids socially

-Reportedly a few buyers have pulled out of pending contracts to buy houses in this neighborhood and other pending real estate deals have been affected so it affects home values.

I think they recognize the latter issues are not new and unique to them, so they will use the issue about the taxpayer's monies being wasted on the greenway as the basis to exact change.

Old 09-08-2018, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMMH View Post

-This greenway is being built so that kids can use it to go to their current school but with reassignment the greenways will not be used at all.

The town has no control over the schools. We have county schools here, not town-based. So I get the Cameron Pond residents' ire over this, especially since they gave up land for the greenway. But as I noted upthread, the people who gave up the land should have known that the greenway was no guarantee of remaining at MP schools.

They are building a greenway connector from MacArthur Park to Davis Drive schools, but MacArthur Park is no longer zoned for DDE and is being reassigned from DDMS on the draft one proposal.

Old 09-08-2018, 08:16 PM

Quote:
One of my friends is being affected. My understanding from speaking with them is that the issues are:

-Carpenter is not rated as highly as Mills Park and is year round versus traditional

-Kids can no longer be grandfathered in as long as transportation is provided except for 5th, 8th, and 12th grades for 1 year so it affects kids socially

-Reportedly a few buyers have pulled out of pending contracts to buy houses in this neighborhood and other pending real estate deals have been affected so it affects home values.

I think they recognize the latter issues are not new and unique to them, so they will use the issue about the taxpayer's monies being wasted on the greenway as the basis to exact change.
It's not like Cameron Pond paid for the greenway, the Cary taxpayers as a whole did. Honestly, you still have a greenway that goes to fields, playground, etc. I'd like to have that.

Just because they build a greenway in your neighborhood does not mean you're exempt from reassignments.

Old 09-08-2018, 08:48 PM

805 posts, read 523,514 times
Quote:

Won't that piece of greenway complete the disconnected White Oak Greenway, eventually connecting Bond Park to the Tobacco Trail? I've been waiting for that piece to be completed for years. Thousands of people will use that piece of greenway.

Is it different from this project? https://www.townofcary.org/projects-...arthur-segment
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary