Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2018, 11:30 AM

288 posts, read 413,822 times

Advertisements

With the storm coming in later this week, I am curious what the flooding history of downtown Raleigh is.
I'm new to the area and I'm in a first floor apartment.

Person St/Oakwood area.

How likely is it that downtown will flood? If it does, how high does the flooding go?

I have things I don't want to get wet and wondering how crazy I should get moving things to my storage unit, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2018, 11:38 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,249,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capnb View Post
With the storm coming in later this week, I am curious what the flooding history of downtown Raleigh is.

Person St/Oakwood area.

How likely is it that downtown will flood? If it does, how high does the flooding go?

I have things I don't want to get wet and wondering how crazy I should get moving things to my storage unit, etc.
How far off the ground is this first floor unit?

Old 09-10-2018, 11:39 AM

43,282 posts, read 77,092,464 times
Quote:

Person St/Oakwood area.

You have pretty good elevation above streams there. 320--340' above sea level. The floodplain/floodway at Peace Street and Capitol is 60-80 feet lower.
Cemetery Branch is 80--100 feet lower near Mordeai.

I expect flooding from rising waters is hardly a concern.

Water intrusion from streets, parking lots, or your downsputs or driveway, into your basement or crawlspace are more likely.
I just told a couple of recent first time buyers to sandbag their basement door.
If you are in a property with grading issues which may funnel water toward your foundation or side doors, or crawlspace vent or window wells, you might do the same.

Old 09-10-2018, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
You have pretty good elevation above streams there. 320--340' above sea level. The floodplain/floodway at Peace Street and Capitol is 60-80 feet lower.
Cemetery Branch is 80--100 feet lower near Mordeai.

I expect flooding from rising waters is hardly a concern.

Water intrusion from streets, parking lots, or your downsputs or driveway, into your basement or crawlspace are more likely.
I just told a couple of recent first time buyers to sandbag their basement door.
If you are in a property with grading issues which may funnel water toward your foundation or side doors, or crawlspace vent or window wells, you might do the same.
Thank you!
So do you think flooding above the basement (into the first floor) is likely?

Old 09-10-2018, 11:49 AM

43,282 posts, read 77,092,464 times
Quote:
Thank you!
So do you think flooding above the basement (into the first floor) is likely?

What is the answer to this question?
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
How far off the ground is this first floor unit?

You will probably not have raging flood waters from overflowing streams.
But, if your home is placed in a low spot, if your first floor is very close to grade level, and you have any circumstance that will back water up along a wall, it is possible you could have water intrusion into the first floor.

You won't get a reliable answer from folks who haven't visited and haven't seen the property details.

Old 09-10-2018, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
What is the answer to this question?

You will probably not have raging flood waters from overflowing streams.
But, if your home is placed in a low spot, if your first floor is very close to grade level, and you have any circumstance that will back water up along a wall, it is possible you could have water intrusion into the first floor.

You won't get a reliable answer from folks who haven't visited and haven't seen the property details.
Thanks. I know theres no way to get an exact answer. Just curious historically if that area floods badly.

I do not know how high up the first floor is. I rent. I have to go up 4 steps to get to my front door, but the back door is ground level

Old 09-10-2018, 12:29 PM

13,714 posts, read 12,427,493 times
Quote:
Thanks. I know theres no way to get an exact answer. Just curious historically if that area floods badly.

I do not know how high up the first floor is. I rent. I have to go up 4 steps to get to my front door, but the back door is ground level
In the back door, is the yard flat, or does it slope away from the building?

DTR has a few flood prone areas, broadly speaking the areas closest to Crabtree creek. Wake Forest Rd as you head towards the beltiline from Whitaker mill and the area around Our Lady Of Lourdes, are what comes to mind.

I think where you are, probably the closer you get to Conn Elementary the more you have to worry, but I don’t think I’d lose sleep over it.

Old 09-10-2018, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
In the back door, is the yard flat, or does it slope away from the building?

DTR has a few flood prone areas, broadly speaking the areas closest to Crabtree creek. Wake Forest Rd as you head towards the beltiline from Whitaker mill and the area around Our Lady Of Lourdes, are what comes to mind.

I think where you are, probably the closer you get to Conn Elementary the more you have to worry, but I don’t think I’d lose sleep over it.
Mostly flat, maybe a slide incline away

Old 09-10-2018, 03:12 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,209,782 times
it would be nice to think that for the next 4 days, most City of Raleigh maintenance, park, stormwater employees would be checking drains and crabtree and other flood prone places and trying to clear the channels.

If you're within 1 block of Person St IN or just NORTH of Oakwood (North = before Harding St), then stormwater drains are all you have to worry about. Until you see Noah and his ark.

Old 09-10-2018, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
it would be nice to think that for the next 4 days, most City of Raleigh maintenance, park, stormwater employees would be checking drains and crabtree and other flood prone places and trying to clear the channels.

If you're within 1 block of Person St IN or just NORTH of Oakwood (North = before Harding St), then stormwater drains are all you have to worry about. Until you see Noah and his ark.
Just over one block off of Person in Oakwood
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary