Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2018, 05:11 AM

422 posts, read 461,545 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighSentinel View Post
Anyone who has one of those “old antiquated” tanked water heaters should have at least ~40 gallons of potable/drinkable H2O readibly available in the hot water tank. All you need is a clean bucket, and turn the valve.
Good suggestion, I'd advise if this is the plan, to go ahead now, hook a hose to it, and turn the valve for a bit to flush out the bottom of the tank if you haven't done so in years. You may not be too pleased with what comes out the bottom of the tank when you need it if you don't. Especially if you have that lovely AquaNC water like we do :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2018, 05:12 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,258,759 times
Looking more and more like this will be a rain moderate rain event at best. But at least everyone got water

Old 09-11-2018, 05:16 AM

22,665 posts, read 36,760,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
Looking more and more like this will be a rain moderate rain event at best. But at least everyone got water
If you believe WRAL, which I find their actual reporting to be lacking with this event. Their fear mongering has been good though. They aren't a national broadcast, they shouldn't be showing their cute little cartoon graphic of where the middle of the cone is. They should be drilling down a bit or lay off the "weather every 10 minutes" thing for the time being if they can't manage that.

Old 09-11-2018, 05:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Gassing up before a storm makes perfect sense to me, but then again, I was in the DC area right after the derecho. Most gas stations were closed due to power outages, and the ones that did have power had terrible lines. Since no one knew the storm would be as bad as it was, no one was prepared. People were literally running out of gas, or they were stuck in place because they didn’t know if they had enough to get someplace with open gas stations.
Yup. After seeing that, it's one reason I never like "gas up the car tomorrow before we leave" when we arrive somewhere and we are low on gas.

It was so blisteringly hot the day of that derecho. We were in Annapolis, I think it was 105*.

Old 09-11-2018, 05:19 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,258,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
If you believe WRAL, which I find their actual reporting to be lacking with this event. Their fear mongering has been good though. They aren't a national broadcast, they shouldn't be showing their cute little cartoon graphic of where the middle of the cone is. They should be drilling down a bit or lay off the "weather every 10 minutes" thing for the time being if they can't manage that.
I actually thought Fishel was really good throughout saying that the storm is still way far away, and could do anything. If anything he was trying not to create panic.

Everyone seems to agree it's likely to stall off/on the coast which means lots of weakening - something to do with the high pressure ridge not holding up like they expected. We'll get a lot of rain, but it seems to me more similar to Matthew for the Triangle. The coast and just inland is in trouble.

Old 09-11-2018, 05:42 AM

116 posts, read 172,879 times
I just ordered several gallons of water from Target. I have the Red card so it’ll be here by Thursday.

Old 09-11-2018, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
I actually thought Fishel was really good throughout saying that the storm is still way far away, and could do anything. If anything he was trying not to create panic.

Everyone seems to agree it's likely to stall off/on the coast which means lots of weakening - something to do with the high pressure ridge not holding up like they expected. We'll get a lot of rain, but it seems to me more similar to Matthew for the Triangle. The coast and just inland is in trouble.
Bottom line it's gonna go where it wants to go....predictions are just that. Get prepared and hope for the best. If this ends up being a minor wind and rain event, I'll count my blessings and put the supplies away for another time. That's fine with me! The latest model has it dipping southwest after landfall and circling across SC and then back up into western NC. The plot looks like a scoop with the scoop on the left and the handle on the right.

Old 09-11-2018, 05:59 AM

16,414 posts, read 12,484,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Bottom line it's gonna go where it wants to go....predictions are just that. Get prepared and hope for the best. If this ends up being a minor wind and rain event, I'll count my blessings and put the supplies away for another time. That's fine with me! The latest model has it dipping southwest after landfall and circling across SC and then back up into western NC. The plot looks like a scoop with the scoop on the left and the handle on the right.
Yep. Better to have it and not need it rather than need it and not have it.

Old 09-11-2018, 06:38 AM

845 posts, read 1,687,112 times
Friends who were here 15 years ago told me that during the last "big one" (maybe Fran?) there were "boil water before drinking" advisories in a few places but that water for flushing and showers was always available. They are in North Raleigh (where we live now.) Is it different in other areas? Does water water supply sometimes get cut off altogether?

Old 09-11-2018, 06:42 AM

845 posts, read 1,687,112 times
Water has been out in every store we checked since Sunday night (Lowe's, Harris-Teeter, Walgreen's.) Some are also out of ice, but there are discount bulk ice self serve 24x7 ice stations on Atlantic Ave on the side of the plaza with International Foods, and also on Capital Blvd near Starmount. The latter takes only coins, but the one on Atlantic also takes paper money. $1 for a 10 pound bag and $2 for a 20 pound bag. We took coolers and bought 110 pounds of ice last night. Stored inside in the AC, with lids tightly closed, we should still have at least 80 to 90 pounds of ice left by Thursday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary