Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2018, 09:33 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,336,102 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
If SPORTS is so important to you, you should really prioritize that (over other people's suffering) and pony up and get a package that will allow you to watch it no matter what.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigKahunaNC View Post
No one needs to see 24hr coverage of the storm it's simply ridiculous.
AGAIN, if SPORTS is so important TO YOU, YOU need to prioritize that in YOUR OWN PERSONAL LIFE and PAY THE MONEY to get a sports package so you can watch all the games you want to.

I couldn't give a flying flip about sports so I have no sympathy for your plight, but the way around it is not complaining about news coverage of a natural disaster interrupting your ability to watch the games, because it's not that — it's you not paying for the channels that will play the games no matter what. There are plenty of people who have those channels who are happily ignoring the natural disaster and watching sports to their hearts' content. You can too if you wanna pay for it.

Personally, TV is a _very_ low priority for me. We don't have cable. We have a ROKU and I never turn it on for myself. I occasionally watch a show or movie that my husband and kids turn on. I would be just as happy w/o a TV at all, but if it was important to me I would pay for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2018, 09:35 AM

6,799 posts, read 7,380,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigKahunaNC View Post
No one needs to see 24hr coverage of the storm it's simply ridiculous.
No one has to watch it.

Old 09-16-2018, 09:45 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,271,380 times
I don't think this is really about sports, but I could be wrong. There are people that believe the news outlets are really out to help people, and there are people who understand what it's really about, that's all.

Saying that someone is "prioritizing over other people's suffering" is ridiculous. There's no need to have 6 channels showing and saying the same things. It's like the State of the Union for example - the same exact thing on every channel just so that the media can fight for ratings. Imagine how annoyed you'd be if the same college basketball game was showing on all channels?

Old 09-16-2018, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
Imagine how annoyed you'd be if the same college basketball game was showing on all channels?
Well, since I don't really watch TV I wouldn't care.

Old 09-16-2018, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Well, since I don't really watch TV I wouldn't care.
Well I guess since it doesn't affect you it doesn't matter? How ironic.

Old 09-16-2018, 09:53 AM

6,653 posts, read 5,589,525 times
Quote:
Imagine how annoyed you'd be if the same college basketball game was showing on all channels?
Well it isn't because TV sporting events go to the highest bidder (aka it's all about $$$$). Can't really do that with a weather event.

Old 09-16-2018, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Well I guess since it doesn't affect you it doesn't matter? How ironic.
What??

My point is, if you want something like sports or other premium content, pay for it. If you want to watch broadcast TV then you have to watch what they decide to broadcast. You don't get a say. If you pay for it you get to pick what channels (to some extent) that you receive.

I have been following the hurricane coverage online. Haven't watched any of it on TV, but I don't begrudge the TV news crews for covering it. It's a huge NC and national story. I'd much rather that be all over the news than sports, which for the most part I find trivial although sometimes enjoyable. I'd like to know what's going on with other parts of our state and when people who are sheltered here in the Triangle can go back to their homes and what the best way for me to help them will be. I am getting some of that info from WRAL's news team online, but other folks may be getting it from the TV. Again, if you don't want to watch the coverage on TV you can be like me and not watch TV or you can pay for premium channels that will show you something else.

Old 09-16-2018, 10:10 AM

Quote:
What??

My point is, if you want something like sports or other premium content, pay for it. If you want to watch broadcast TV then you have to watch what they decide to broadcast. You don't get a say. If you pay for it you get to pick what channels (to some extent) that you receive.

I have been following the hurricane coverage online. Haven't watched any of it on TV, but I don't begrudge the TV news crews for covering it. It's a huge NC and national story. I'd much rather that be all over the news than sports, which for the most part I find trivial although sometimes enjoyable. I'd like to know what's going on with other parts of our state and when people who are sheltered here in the Triangle can go back to their homes and what the best way for me to help them will be. I am getting some of that info from WRAL's news team online, but other folks may be getting it from the TV. Again, if you don't want to watch the coverage on TV you can be like me and not watch TV or you can pay for premium channels that will show you something else.
I definitely think hurricane coverage should be on TV - but it should be about actually helping people, not about making money. At the end of the day, it IS about making money, which it is what it is because these are private corporations. But don't try to play it off like people are insensitive for realizing that.

Old 09-16-2018, 10:16 AM

1,479 posts, read 1,229,057 times
WNCN (CBS) said they will be showing the NFL games at 1:00 and will continue their Flo coverage online

Old 09-16-2018, 10:20 AM

Quote:
I definitely think hurricane coverage should be on TV - but it should be about actually helping people, not about making money. At the end of the day, it IS about making money, which it is what it is because these are private corporations. But don't try to play it off like people are insensitive for realizing that.
That's your opinion.

Not my opinion based on the journalists I know.

Except for the Weather Channel. It totally is for the Weather Channel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary