Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2018, 08:23 AM

11 posts, read 5,968 times

Advertisements

While back-filling the operator I'm told had hit the wall leaving cracks. I see the crack inside (interior) and outside (exterior), a small piece fell off (see pictures attached). The Engineer assessed it it and they will be drilling a hole and filling with epoxy to fix it (internet search indicates this is the right approach). Currently the wall is supported by additional lumber stilts to hold it in place while the 2 floors above are being framed. I will have an open wall inspection including the basement in October. Any suggestions on how I should following up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2018, 08:40 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,439,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brat7705 View Post
While back-filling the operator I'm told had hit the wall leaving cracks. I see the crack inside (interior) and outside (exterior), a small piece fell off (see pictures attached). The Engineer assessed it it and they will be drilling a hole and filling with epoxy to fix it (internet search indicates this is the right approach). Currently the wall is supported by additional lumber stilts to hold it in place while the 2 floors above are being framed. I will have an open wall inspection including the basement in October. Any suggestions on how I should following up.
I might bring an engineer to the open wall inspection.

Old 09-20-2018, 08:42 PM

4,168 posts, read 4,881,444 times
I don't see any pictures......but I agree that you should hire your own structural engineer to represent your best interests and not the builders. Just remember that once you close, you will be stuck dealing with any resulting problems and the builder will be long gone.

Old 09-21-2018, 06:06 PM

Thank you - JONOV and Starglow. I will, where can I find a structural engineer? Any recommendations?

Here are the pictures... https://photos.app.goo.gl/DTdLVV6Na5Q59Sjs8

Old 09-21-2018, 06:23 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,354,091 times
Bought a place many years ago where a basement wall actually collapsed due to water pressure.

Wall was rebuilt and a flying buttress added in the area that collapsed. Suspect a much more serious problem than yours.

We hunted around a bit and found a consulting engineering firm with a structural engineering capability. We did a whole mess of stuff including drains along the impacted wall and heavy duty water proofing. House was on the top of a hill so we had a large sump that fed a passive drain to the street in front and down 20 feet or so.

After 35 years the home has not had a problem.

Old 09-21-2018, 06:42 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,219,510 times
so, are you dealing with a large builder, and no Buyer's Agent? Have you agreed to use their lender, and their closing attorney?

Old 09-21-2018, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
so, are you dealing with a large builder , and no Buyer's Agent? Have you agreed to use their lender, and their closing attorney?
Large builder - Yes; I have an agent; Their lender, and their closing attorney - No.

Old 09-21-2018, 06:50 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,354,091 times
Quote:
Large builder - Yes; I have an agent; Their lender, and their closing attorney - No.
You need an expert. A licensed PE who does this stuff. Check around. They exist. Often a local firm who specializes in it.

Old 09-21-2018, 07:50 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,219,510 times
Quote:
your agent should have no issue recommending (or finding) a highly-qualified engineer then. There are LOTS of qualified engineers in town, especially since NCSU's Engineering school.

When you posted "Engineer said..." before, was this the Builder's? A sealed letter, an email, or what?

Old 09-22-2018, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
your agent should have no issue recommending (or finding) a highly-qualified engineer then. There are LOTS of qualified engineers in town, especially since NCSU's Engineering school.

When you posted "Engineer said..." before, was this the Builder's? A sealed letter, an email, or what?
Thanks for the response. "Engineer (Builder's)..." was per my conversation with the construction manager. I do not have anything in writing from them.... except that the "had and engineer inspect" and "going over the repair with my concrete guy"....

Last edited by brat7705; 09-22-2018 at 05:10 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary