Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2018, 04:18 AM

22,668 posts, read 36,792,894 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Define "winter."
My thin blood says, "Winter is from earliest frost date to last frost date."

There's "New York," and then there's "New York."

https://www.almanac.com/gardening/fr.../zipcode/12209
7 months in Albany.

https://www.almanac.com/gardening/fr.../zipcode/10453
Less than 5 months at LaGuardia…

And, a longer winter at RDU, then at LaGuardia...
https://www.almanac.com/gardening/fr.../zipcode/27617
My thin blood says this too. And I went to college outside Albany, NY. Nowhere near the NYC and environs winter experience!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2018, 06:11 AM

2,863 posts, read 4,677,588 times
I went to School in Rochester NY. The year before I graduated we had 10" of snow a week before graduation.

Western New York Weather History
MAY 8

7th-8th…A late season snowstorm dropped up to twelve inches of snow across the western southern tier, Niagara Frontier and the Finger Lakes area. At Buffalo just under eight inches was recorded while at Rochester just over 10 inches fell.

Old 10-04-2018, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C_Lan View Post
I went to School in Rochester NY. The year before I graduated we had 10" of snow a week before graduation.

Western New York Weather History
MAY 8

7th-8th…A late season snowstorm dropped up to twelve inches of snow across the western southern tier, Niagara Frontier and the Finger Lakes area. At Buffalo just under eight inches was recorded while at Rochester just over 10 inches fell.
That's funny....we graduated the same year and that May was unbearably hot in Albany. Over 90* every day and our AC was broken!

Old 10-04-2018, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
That's funny....we graduated the same year and that May was unbearably hot in Albany. Over 90* every day and our AC was broken!

I started school in the Potsdam/Canton area. There was still river ice from the ice breakup on the banks of rivers in early May.

Old 10-04-2018, 09:54 AM

9,777 posts, read 15,788,843 times
Yeah, upstate NY and western NY are much different than NYC in terms of weather. That's why I asked architect where he lived because NYC certainly didn't get 3 snowstorms in May.

Regardless of the specifics, I think the OP will find that winter starts later in NC and ends earlier and is milder. Summers last longer and are warmer. In general, the weather pattern is pretty similar with temperatures in NYC being 10-15 degrees colder in winter months, on average, than in Raleigh.

Old 10-04-2018, 10:30 AM

I look at our winters this way: I switch to summer-only compound tires at the end of Feb. These are tire that typically specify 40 degrees + for 'optimal' effectiveness. By the end of Feb our mornings are trending above 40 for the most part, but exceptions do exist.

Old 10-05-2018, 11:28 PM

3,661 posts, read 3,938,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
Yeah, upstate NY and western NY are much different than NYC in terms of weather. That's why I asked architect where he lived because NYC certainly didn't get 3 snowstorms in May.

Regardless of the specifics, I think the OP will find that winter starts later in NC and ends earlier and is milder. Summers last longer and are warmer. In general, the weather pattern is pretty similar with temperatures in NYC being 10-15 degrees colder in winter months, on average, than in Raleigh.
Dude, in 2005 there was a huge snowstorm the 1st week of May with 6-9".

And it has snowed in April around my birthday on the 20th more than once.

I know for a fact that it has snowed more than once with substantial accumulations in the first days of May....

in the last 18 years....In Manhattan, NYC.

When someone goes to the trouble of citing as many specifics as I did...

give them the benefit of the doubt of telling the truth.

NYC has seen many snow events at the end of April, beginning of May that weren't mere dustings.

All of my details support my original statement to the common sense of most people....

_______

The heat in buildings citywide is turned on Nov 1.

Memorial Day Weekend out on Long Island drops into the 40s overnight almost every year.

To a North Carolinean, these two statements more or less mean Winter, cold, & not what is associated with warm summer.

_______

So my bad for not acknowledging the shoulder season & reducing the year to just two conditions, hot or cold.

Old 10-06-2018, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by architect77 View Post

I know for a fact that it has snowed more than once with substantial accumulations in the first days of May....

NYC has seen many snow events at the end of April, beginning of May that weren't mere dustings.

All of my details support my original statement to the common sense of most people....

_______

Memorial Day Weekend out on Long Island drops into the 40s overnight almost every year.

To a North Carolinean, these two statements more or less mean Winter, cold, & not what is associated with warm summer.

_______

So my bad for not acknowledging the shoulder season & reducing the year to just two conditions, hot or cold.

I'm interested in these stats having grown up on LI, whose weather is generally very similar to NYC. I do not recall it snowing substantially in May ever. Certainly don't remember a May 2005 snowstorm and we were living 15 miles outside midtown Manhattan at the time. I can't find any record of it online either. In fact just checked the weather underground site for the first week of May 2005 in Central Park and nothing is mentioned as far as snow or even temperature anomalies.

I would love to see a link to a news story about this storm. I had 3 kids under the age of five at the time so it may have slipped my notice.

There are areas around NYC that will be wintery pretty late, particularly in northwest NJ. But to paint the whole area, particularly the coastal areas, with the same brush is incorrect.

I worked on the south shore of Long Island at one point and lived on the north shore. It would not be unusual for it to be raining at work and snowing at my house. I also left work one day to find the north facing side of my car iced over...it was the driver side so I scraped it all off. Went around to do the passenger south facing side and it was just wet.

And once when I working and living in a mid-Island, Nassau County location, I got up in the morning to a pretty dusting of snow on the grassy surfaces. Got in my car and made my 10 minutes commute on wet roads. Got to work and no one was there. Most of the people I worked with came from Suffolk County, farther east on the Island. When they finally started trickling in, I found out they'd gotten a foot of snow!

here's a website I plan to do some exploring on:
http://thestarryeye.typepad.com/weat...979-2011-.html

Old 10-06-2018, 08:27 AM

6,378 posts, read 5,494,209 times
A question about why kids in Cary don't play outside has turned into a debate about a fake snow-storm in NYC.

Gotta love City-Data

Old 10-06-2018, 10:02 AM

9,777 posts, read 15,788,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by architect77 View Post

_______

_______

Dude, it did NOT snow in May in NYC no matter what your memory is telling you. Snow in April isn't all that common in NYC. And even snow in May in upstate New York is newsworthy. I don't care about your "details" - show me the news stories or weather data from a weather site that shows it snowed 6+ inches of snow in NYC in May 2005, and I'll believe you. Because this is what I see:

A 2018 article about even the relative rarity of snow in April in NYC, and this quote from the article: "Also just a PSA: It has snowed in May four times. Trace amounts were recorded in Central Park in 1946, 1956, 1977 and 1995, documents show"

https://www.amny.com/news/april-snow...rms-1.10181411

A 2013 article about the rarity of snow in May in the whole USA including mention of a record-setting snow of 8 inches in Buffalo which shattered an 80-year old record (no mention of NYC):

https://weather.com/storms/winter/ne...torms-20130430

And I just checked Wunderground and the Farmer's Almanac for the week of May 1-May 7, 2005 which shows the temperature of 41 degrees minimum and 64 degrees maximum in NYC for that week with less than 1/2 inch of precipitation (rain) for the whole week.

https://www.almanac.com/weather/hist...001/2005-05-01

https://www.wunderground.com/history.../date/2005-5-7

So, no, I'm not giving you the benefit of the doubt. I was born and raised up north and know that it does not snow in May in NYC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary