Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2018, 03:14 PM

256 posts, read 266,256 times

Advertisements

oh, sorry! i am not that educated on the subdivisions yet - it can get confusing! there are so many of them and i can't remember which is which - all i remember was the house in wake forest was on coach lantern lane lol. i remembered it only bc i thought the name was cool! there were sidewalks and the home was beautiful. my husband and i figured out that wake forest is just too far for us. it will require too much driving, as we want to send the kids to catholic school and the high schools are a good 20 min to 30 min away. that is one thing we will miss, bus service! although i can't say where our jobs will end up being, so we will still keep it in mind. i LOVE It there, and i love the catholic school and church there too (st catherine of sienna, same name as the school i went to growing up!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2018, 03:18 PM

2,863 posts, read 4,674,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapelle View Post
...What do the teenagers do during the hot summer months, or are they all at the pool too?

They hang out in a friend's basement and listen to the same Black Sabbath album over and over again.

Oh wait...that may have been me. Never mind.

Old 09-25-2018, 03:18 PM

256 posts, read 266,256 times
Lol

Old 09-25-2018, 03:28 PM

22,665 posts, read 36,760,081 times
Quote:
oh, sorry! i am not that educated on the subdivisions yet - it can get confusing! there are so many of them and i can't remember which is which - all i remember was the house in wake forest was on coach lantern lane lol. i remembered it only bc i thought the name was cool! there were sidewalks and the home was beautiful. my husband and i figured out that wake forest is just too far for us. it will require too much driving, as we want to send the kids to catholic school and the high schools are a good 20 min to 30 min away. that is one thing we will miss, bus service! although i can't say where our jobs will end up being, so we will still keep it in mind. i LOVE It there, and i love the catholic school and church there too (st catherine of sienna, same name as the school i went to growing up!)

When we were moving here I got a map from AAA that was just for the Raleigh Durham area and had all the streets on it (totally out of date now LOL). Anyway - it was REALLY helpful because I could write the name of the subdivision right on the map and reference them in relation to other things. See if you can pick one up. The sheer number of subdivisions is mind boggling.

My son goes to Catholic HS and the ride gets real old, real fast LOL. You're smart to keep that in mind.

Old 09-25-2018, 05:39 PM

6,373 posts, read 5,482,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
If you were looking in a heavy-transplant neighborhood (Wake Forest has plenty), it may be that so many are recent enough transplants that they don't know the neighbors well enough to be out playing with them? Isn't that the general direction of society in general--kids stay inside instead of roaming the neighborhoods like we used to do? If they still do that where you are now, maybe it's because everybody has lived in the same 'hood for years and they all know each other well? But I thought I'd heard that in newer suburbs, there are more "play dates" as opposed to "just go out and find somebody to play with" because of stranger danger fears or other reasons. And, it was HOTTTTTTT. Kids were probably playing video games inside or watching TV. And someone mentioned that it was a school makeup day.

It's not a good idea to judge an area by one drive-by, especially when it's very hot and steam-bath muggy as I recall Saturday being.

BTW, every post OP made has "Here in NY, we do it this way..." in it. That will not make you friends if you end up moving here--nobody cares how you did it in NY (or wherever else--though for some reason New Yorkers seem to be the ones to say it the most often). A good habit to start losing now
You're onto something here.

It's definitely not all NY transplants though...

I just helped some lovely folks from Long Island buy a home in Chatham County they fell in love with and plan to move into next month when they relocate. The entire time I was showing them around they ASKED how things are done/what things are like here. If it was "better" here...they would get very excited and say "oh man back in NY it was xyz!"......if it was "better" in NY they said "ah ok well that will take getting used to".

What an awesome attitude to have! I'm very excited to be their Welcome to NC go-to for a while!

Old 09-25-2018, 06:13 PM

2,006 posts, read 3,581,096 times
It was a make up day for year round schools. It was also Saturday which as others pointed out was rec/travel league day for sports. Most leagues shifted their schedule to the afternoon. That said I was outside all day and plenty of activity in our hood. Unless you are spending hours in a particular neighborhood, it's easy to miss kids outside. I will says plenty of times the kids play inside as others have mentioned when it's hot and muggy.

We had some folks strolling around our neighborhood one weekend during an open house and asking me about the state of the neighborhood. You can usually catch someone outside taking a walk.

Old 09-25-2018, 07:59 PM

329 posts, read 249,704 times
Default I was outside

Had y'all drove by my house in rural Durham county you'd a seen me out. It was Meat Bird processing day haha. Got up at the buttcrack of dawn to start processing some of my Cornish Cross on our little farm.

As other already mentioned it was a make-up day for Wake County on Saturday. The wife was there working and said almost her entire class was there. Looks like most kids went to school.

Old 09-25-2018, 08:12 PM

3,239 posts, read 3,536,910 times
Quote:
wow, this is all interesting news to me. Whats crazy is, my older kids don't like pools anymore. What do the teenagers do during the hot summer months, or are they all at the pool too?
My observation is that as soon as the child is old enough to go to the pool by themself (12 or 13 is the rule in most neighborhoods), they have no interest in it.

Old 09-25-2018, 08:14 PM

Quote:
do the pools have slides and diving boards or are most of them just simple inground pools?
The larger ones have slides but most newer ones have a max depth of 5ft (my guess is for insurance reasons) so no driving boards. This may contribute to my previous post about pool interest of early teens, bored of the pool by that age.

Old 09-25-2018, 08:17 PM

I will also add that because the pools are shallow, by the end of July, the water temperature is that of a luke warm bath, so going to the pool is not terribly refreshing. Not a huge fan of Sweating while swimming.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary