Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2018, 12:14 PM

595 posts, read 676,518 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapelle View Post
if we move, I want to move into a subdivision where they can have friends to pal around with on the block. How would I figure that out if I am all of the way here in NY? I don't know how many more times we will get over there before we start looking to buy. I would imagine it won't be easy to figure out, unless we go knocking on doors! LOL
I know exactly where you're coming from. I was born in NYC, but lived in N. Raleigh during elementary and middle school. There were always a million kids running around the neighborhood, riding bikes, playing games, etc. It was a great place to be a kid. 25 yrs later I found myself living in NJ, father of two little kids. What I had observed in the years living there, kids never played outside. I very rarely saw any outside of parks. When we had the opportunity to move back to the triangle, my first goal was to find a neighborhood full of children. I wanted my kids to be raised "free range" like I was.

As we started narrowing down houses, we just kept driving through the neighborhoods at different times. One particular neighborhood caught our eye after we visited a lemonade stand, run by an adorable group of incredibly polite kids. I talked to them, asked them if there were a lot of other kids. I asked them if they knew if there were a lot of younger kids around my kids' age. They told me more than the realtor ever could have. (I believe there are rules around that) We came back later that evening and saw a driveway with 15 bikes piled in it. A short while later, a dad popped out of the house and was throwing a frisbee with his kids. We spoke for 15minutes and he gave me a great rundown of what the neighborhood was like. We knew this was the place for us.

4 years later, my wife and I still high five each other every month. Those lemonade kids are now in middle school. My kids are now the kids running the lemonade stand. We have several other new families move in with kids. They all get along great and outside every day. They self organize and knock on each other's doors to see if they can come out and play. There's also a lot of socialization among the adults. We attended more cookouts and bbq's, cocktail parties, holiday gatherings, etc. in our first year than we did in 10 yrs in our town in NJ.

Conversely, I have several friends who moved a few miles away and have had very different experiences. Pick the neighborhood, not the house. It's a hard thing to research from afar and maybe we just got lucky. But I'd say do your very best to spend as much time down here as you can and don't be afraid to talk to anyone you see walking around. Folks down here are incredibly friendly and happy to chat. Good luck in your search!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2018, 01:21 PM

256 posts, read 266,279 times
justme - this is exactly what we are looking for!!! thanks for your input! we don't want to move to another state where we have no family and then hope to find friends, we were planning on choosing the neighborhood and then the house, as you said.

if you have time, could you send me a pm with the neighborhood info that you are talking about? would appreciate it, thanks!

Old 09-26-2018, 01:32 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,259,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMeEC View Post

As we started narrowing down houses, we just kept driving through the neighborhoods at different times. One particular neighborhood caught our eye after we visited a lemonade stand, run by an adorable group of incredibly polite kids. I talked to them, asked them if there were a lot of other kids. I asked them if they knew if there were a lot of younger kids around my kids' age. They told me more than the realtor ever could have. (I believe there are rules around that) We came back later that evening and saw a driveway with 15 bikes piled in it. A short while later, a dad popped out of the house and was throwing a frisbee with his kids. We spoke for 15minutes and he gave me a great rundown of what the neighborhood was like. We knew this was the place for us.
Careful - people may think you're suspicious and call the cops. I'm only half joking, you should see some of the posts on Nextdoor!

Old 09-26-2018, 01:38 PM

omg that's funny!!

Old 09-29-2018, 03:38 PM

3,661 posts, read 3,934,898 times
Quote:
Thanks everyone for your input. It sure was interesting! And you are right it wasn't such a beautiful day in that it was indeed hot. Guess it didn't bother me much lol. In ny no matter what the weather there are always people milling around esp. On my Block bc it's such a busy street. Question - how many months would you say are Hot as in unbearable? In NY it's never more than 2 months if at all. The summers have been rather mild these days. Im guessing it's June or July thru sept?
Don't worry. There aren't 7 months of depressing Winter which is why after 10 years I left NYC.

Every September I became very depressed about what was ahead.

Atlanta only has 2-3 months (if that) of cold weather to get through.

NC only has slightly more. The leaves in NC change about 3 weeks before Atlanta and lag about 3 weeks from Atlanta in coming out in the Spring.

MY suggestion is RENT AN APT. FOR 6 MONTHS in the general area of town you're contemplating in order to make the best choice.

Old 09-29-2018, 05:27 PM

Thanks, we were thinking about doing that, but Gosh, moving stuff down there, renting, and then moving into a house with 3 kids, that seems like a mountain of work!

Old 09-29-2018, 06:05 PM

1,228 posts, read 796,359 times
I’m guessing you have too much “stuff.” This is an opportunity to reduce that. I believe a lawyer and a pharmacist can be both judicious and parsimonious in this effort, even (and especially) with three kids. You’ll thank yourselves in a few years...

Old 09-29-2018, 06:22 PM

I know!! My husband said an individual is poisoned by too many belongings! OMG we have too much! I actually raided the attic today and took down every book I could find. Found a ton for my younger daugher to read, and she has drowned herself in them all afternoon. Donating a ton more. Going to try to keep at it every week!! Gotta get thru all of the unused toys, clothes, dishes, etc. If I clear enough of it out in time, then, Yes, we will be thankful!

Old 09-29-2018, 06:24 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,259,873 times
Quote:
Thanks, we were thinking about doing that, but Gosh, moving stuff down there, renting, and then moving into a house with 3 kids, that seems like a mountain of work!
It's not that bad.

We rented for 6 months - put most of our stuff in storage, just had the essentials at the rental house. It made packing for the second move simple.

Wouldn't do it any other way. You really need time to figure out where you want to live.

Old 09-29-2018, 06:26 PM

9,775 posts, read 15,776,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by architect77 View Post
Don't worry. There aren't 7 months of depressing Winter which is why after 10 years I left NYC.

Every September I became very depressed about what was ahead.

Atlanta only has 2-3 months (if that) of cold weather to get through.

NC only has slightly more. The leaves in NC change about 3 weeks before Atlanta and lag about 3 weeks from Atlanta in coming out in the Spring.

MY suggestion is RENT AN APT. FOR 6 MONTHS in the general area of town you're contemplating in order to make the best choice.
NYC does not have 7 months of winter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary