Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2018, 05:03 PM

120 posts, read 97,752 times

Advertisements

Could you please recommend good house inspector in Raleigh NC? I need someone who will not miss on things and is especially good at roof inspections and etc..Thanks a lot!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2018, 05:09 PM

6,799 posts, read 7,380,824 times
//www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...inspector.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...inspector.html

Old 09-30-2018, 06:23 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,215,541 times
truly, if you hired an experienced Realtor as you posted earlier, then they can recommend a quality home inspector. If you're looking for one that either will physically walk a roof or uses a drone to check the roof out and take better photos, then you need to talk to a few.

The NC Inspection requirements no longer require them to climb a ladder and get on a roof. I'm assuming that is for safety purposes. Expect this service to cost you up to $100 extra. You might also just separately get a quality roofing company to come take a look at an equivalent cost.

Old 09-30-2018, 08:24 PM

9,145 posts, read 14,766,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
truly, if you hired an experienced Realtor as you posted earlier, then they can recommend a quality home inspector. If you're looking for one that either will physically walk a roof or uses a drone to check the roof out and take better photos, then you need to talk to a few.

The NC Inspection requirements no longer require them to climb a ladder and get on a roof. I'm assuming that is for safety purposes. Expect this service to cost you up to $100 extra. You might also just separately get a quality roofing company to come take a look at an equivalent cost.
Wait, guys are charging an extra $100 to look at a roof?

Old 09-30-2018, 08:51 PM

6,379 posts, read 5,494,209 times
Has your real estate agent not recommended an inspector and set up an appointment for you?

Old 09-30-2018, 08:55 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,215,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
I've seen it for a drone, and I know a qualified roofer will charge about that to do a separate inspection.

Are you still climbing on roofs?

Old 10-01-2018, 04:09 AM

43,284 posts, read 77,115,925 times
Quote:
I like your drone work.
Excellent photos and fair pricing.

Old 10-01-2018, 06:30 AM

9,145 posts, read 14,766,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
I've seen it for a drone, and I know a qualified roofer will charge about that to do a separate inspection.

Are you still climbing on roofs?
If I can I will. Unfortunately many, I cant. Lots of houses are too tall or have roofs too steep to climb. (there are plenty of inspectors who brag about going on 9/12 pitch roofs on Facebook, I'm not one of those guys unless I can walk up a valley). Many new construction houses the builders don't let their superintendents and project managers go on roofs and they usually don't want me on there. I have been known to sneak out onto a porch roof to check it and any other parts I can access from there anyway as long as they didn't explicitly tell me not to. Especially because porch roofs tend to take a ton of construction related damage. Then there are condos where the association really owns the roof. Some, where the singles are in bad shape. (the worst I’ve scared myself was a little single story house in Apex. Roof was maybe a 6/12, but the shingles were more worn than I realized. I got up it fine, but coming back down I was like wow, what did I do. )

So, I ended up getting a drone because I felt bad that I wasn't able to do a good job for people in certain situations. It's maybe 95% as good as being up there in most cases. It takes longer to do it right than if I just climbed, but not that much longer and I hadn't considered charging people more for it. Maybe I'm crazy.

Old 10-01-2018, 06:37 AM

43,284 posts, read 77,115,925 times
Quote:
If I can I will. Unfortunately many, I cant. Lots of houses are too tall or have roofs too steep to climb. (there are plenty of inspectors who brag about going on 9/12 pitch roofs on Facebook, I'm not one of those guys unless I can walk up a valley). Many new construction houses the builders don't let their superintendents and project managers go on roofs and they usually don't want me on there. I have been known to sneak out onto a porch roof to check it and any other parts I can access from there anyway as long as they didn't explicitly tell me not to. Especially because porch roofs tend to take a ton of construction related damage. Then there are condos where the association really owns the roof. Some, where the singles are in bad shape. (the worst I’ve scared myself was a little single story house in Apex. Roof was maybe a 6/12, but the shingles were more worn than I realized. I got up it fine, but coming back down I was like wow, what did I do. )

So, I ended up getting a drone because I felt bad that I wasn't able to do a good job for people in certain situations. It's maybe 95% as good as being up there in most cases. It takes longer to do it right than if I just climbed, but not that much longer and I hadn't considered charging people more for it. Maybe I'm crazy.

Let's do a rancher.
Get on up the ladder, cuz I'm coming right behind you.

The whole "Don't walk on the roof because you'll damage the shingles," is just a dodge, IMO. Any roof where that is an issue probably needed replaced 2 years ago.

Old 10-01-2018, 06:52 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,272,925 times
Our inspector wouldn't get on the roof. Binoculars only. Thought it was pretty lame.

I didn't really care because the roof is 20 years old, but the boots around the vents needed replacing. Something that I could have had the sellers do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary