Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2018, 03:50 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,965,100 times

Advertisements

along with the mosquitoes, the stink bugs are clinging to our window screens and everywhere else.
of course, they're just annoying, don't bite, but they do stink. what have you tried/used that
successfully kept them away from your house? personally, i don't care. i just pick them up
and reposition them...but the boss cares and won't touch 'em.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2018, 03:56 PM

1,555 posts, read 2,520,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkeydance View Post
along with the mosquitoes, the stink bugs are clinging to our window screens and everywhere else.
of course, they're just annoying, don't bite, but they do stink. what have you tried/used that
successfully kept them away from your house? personally, i don't care. i just pick them up
and reposition them...but the boss cares and won't touch 'em.
They definitely are a reality, we try to make sure they aren’t around our doorways before we enter/exit.

Old 10-02-2018, 03:56 PM

4,551 posts, read 3,752,342 times
Do you have a pest cleaner control company already? If not use this link, Demon max, put it in a pump sprayer and spray around the foundation of your house and any entry points. Kills stuff extremely well.

https://www.amazon.com/Demon-Max-Ins.../dp/B00555SR9Q

Old 10-02-2018, 06:27 PM

3,444 posts, read 2,818,373 times
We lived in Raleigh for 32 years and never once saw a stink bug. Moved to the mountains 3 years ago and was inaugurated to stink bugs and their horrible smell. 2016 was horrible, 2017 we saw almost none and had a very cold, snowy winter, and this year we are getting a bunch again. Hopefully this is a sign of a milder winter this year!

Old 10-04-2018, 12:26 PM

3,307 posts, read 8,560,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenlove View Post
We lived in Raleigh for 32 years and never once saw a stink bug. Moved to the mountains 3 years ago and was inaugurated to stink bugs and their horrible smell. 2016 was horrible, 2017 we saw almost none and had a very cold, snowy winter, and this year we are getting a bunch again. Hopefully this is a sign of a milder winter this year!
Probably because they didn't really exist in this area until about 5 or so years ago. They've slowly migrated from the Northeast where they accidentally landed with shipments from Asia years ago.

Lovely little pests they are.

Old 10-10-2018, 01:22 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,825,823 times
They're miserable. They first came here about 5 years ago. We have relatives in PA, where they first appeared about 20 years ago, and it's like a plague there now. Oh goodie.

We have an orchard behind our house, so diatomaceous earth works well, placed at the top and bottom of our back garage door--dries 'em right up.

When they land on the outside screens, our cat tries to get at them; the dog doesn't care lol. I spray either lavender or wintergreen alcohol onto them and they usually back off the screen. If they don't, I flick 'em off.

As the one poster suggested, they do try to hitch a ride indoors. I was carrying some groceries in from the garage, opened the storm door to the kitchen, and saw a line of them at the top of the dooorway. They startled me so much, I dropped everything I'd been holding.

Rotten things.

Old 10-14-2018, 11:41 AM

1,524 posts, read 1,312,026 times
How do you know if you have a normal amount of stink bugs vs. a serious problem? I'm a first time homeowner for the past 5 or so days, I've been finding about 1 to 3 a day in the house. I'm in western Pennsylvania. Is that just normal for this time of year? It's gotten a lot colder. So I'm assuming they're coming in for the warmth. They've all been in my finished basement, not upstairs.

Edit: I didn't realize this was specifically a North Carolina thread but hopefully I'll still get helpful info. here.

Old 10-16-2018, 01:26 PM

2,218 posts, read 2,939,331 times
This is the first year i have really seen them. They like to hang out on my window screens and were in a pet bed I had put out on the porch. I heard they will just try to go where it is warm. I have been going around checking all our screens and fixing them if they have little holes from birds hitting them. Also make sure your caulking is good and no cracks or crevices where they can enter. Overall harmless, but I just don't want them to enter my house. I haven't noticed a smell though. I thought it was only if you killed (smushed them). I just flick them of the screen if I see them. I also put DE around the porch (more so for ants). But if they try to come in the door maybe that will help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary