Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2018, 02:49 PM

6 posts, read 5,002 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone.

My husband and I have been in Florida for most of our lives, though we were both born up north. We'd like to experience seasons again without being extremely far from Florida in case we want to drive back to visit family. After a lot of Google searches, we think Cary might be the right area for us. We made a quick visit just to check it out but didn't get to explore much since our car broke down.

I have a few questions about the area, so I'm hoping someone who's living there can help me out.

Does the Cary area get all 4 seasons? Do a lot of the leaves change in the Fall? Can I expect the weather to get cool during the Fall there? Or will it be hot on Halloween, as it is here in FL? How is the weather in December?

How is the traffic in Raleigh? Would it be overwhelming for someone who's used to areas that have a smaller population (for example, right now I live in Daytona Beach, FL)? Does anyone know how it compares to Orlando's traffic? I'd like to stay mainly in Cary but I'm sure we'll have to go into Raleigh at some point if we move to the area.

Does the city spray for mosquitoes? Are there a lot of ticks in the area?

How far away is the closest mountain?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2018, 02:55 PM

9,767 posts, read 15,739,138 times
Yes, we get four seasons. Yes, there will be a lot of leaf colors in the fall. It can be warm on Halloween, but probably not hot. It can also be chilly. It's sort of a transition time of year then.

I don't think traffic will be overwhelming, although I have never lived in Daytona.

Yes, there are ticks here, more likely if you go in the woods or hiking a lot. The mountains are about 3 hours away.

Old 10-04-2018, 03:06 PM

2,486 posts, read 2,534,233 times
  • Listen to an Internet feed of local station WPTF for live traffic updates during commute hours.
  • Leaves here dry out, and have some color, but not quite as vivid as upstate NY, for example.
  • Lots of great local healthcare at the universities.
  • Publix is everywhere!
  • Use the NewsOn app to watch the local TV stations' newscasts on your smartphone/tablet.
  • Raleigh-area traffic cameras are on the Internet.
  • Many moved here in mid-90s when IBM Boca Raton, FL closed up.
  • Bookmark: CaryCitizen – Cary, North Carolina news, food, community and events

Last edited by K4GPB; 10-04-2018 at 03:14 PM..

Old 10-04-2018, 04:03 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,069,777 times
Does the Cary area get all 4 seasons? YES

Do a lot of the leaves change in the Fall? YES

Can I expect the weather to get cool during the Fall there? SOMEWHAT COOLER. WE USED TO CALL IT "INDIAN SUMMER" WHEN WE WERE KIDS IN WESTERN NEW YORK. SUNNY AND PLEASANT.

Or will it be hot on Halloween, as it is here in FL? IT HAS BEEN HOTTER THAN NORMAL IN OCTOBER. USUALLY BY HALLOWEEN, YOU NEED A LIGHT JACKET OR SWEATER.

How is the weather in December? COLD. Google it. IT USUALLY SNOWS ONCE OR TWICE IN THE WINTER, and EVERYTHING CLOSES DOWN. SOMETIMES IT DOESN'T SNOW AT ALL. THIS YEAR IS PREDICTED TO BE AN UNUSUALLY COLD WINTER.

How is the traffic in Raleigh? MUCH WORSE THAN IT USED TO BE, ESPECIALLY AT RUSH HOUR.

Would it be overwhelming for someone who's used to areas that have a smaller population (for example, right now I live in Daytona Beach, FL)? IF RETIRED, STAY AWAY FROM RUSH HOUR TIME. I DON'T KNOW WHAT MIGHT OVERWHELM YOU BECAUSE I DON'T KNOW YOU. IT DEPENDS ON WHERE YOU ARE GOING AND WHEN YOU ARE GOING THERE.

I to stay mainly in Cary but I'm sure we'll have to go into Raleigh at some point if we move to the area. THEY ARE RIGHT NEXT DOOR TO EACH OTHER. THEY ARE PRACTICALLY THE SAME PLACE.

Does the city spray for mosquitoes? NO. I HOPE THEY NEVER DO. JUST SPRAY YOURSELF.

Are there a lot of ticks in the area? YES, I HAVE SEEN A FEW OVER THE YEARS AND MORE LATELY.

How far away is the closest mountain? BOONE, NC, IS 3 HOURS AWAY.

Old 10-04-2018, 04:26 PM

105 posts, read 100,850 times
I lived in Raleigh area for 21 years, then Orlando for 6, and back in Raleigh area since 2012.

You can PM me if you have any specific questions.

Old 10-04-2018, 10:54 PM

461 posts, read 695,767 times
I just moved to Cary last month from Jacksonville, FL, although I was born and raised in NC. There are definitely four distinct seasons here in NC, and the leaves change color when they are supposed to in October, not in February like they did in NE Florida.

I remember sweating on Halloween taking the kids around in FL. Here it should be nice and crisp outside for Halloween. Winter here gets much colder than in Florida on average.

I've driven the I-95 to I-4 drive from Jacksonville to Orlando through Daytona at rush hour, and I don't think Raleigh is nearly as bad as Orlando traffic-wise. With that said there is a lot of rush hour traffic in Raleigh. Even though there are multiple ways to get where you need to go, chances are at some point in the commute you will see "red" if you look on Google maps. There are some directions of a commute though that I would never want to deal with on a daily basis, such as going west on I-440 or I-40 in the morning or east in the afternoon.

Local Cary traffic is not that bad, maybe like driving down International Speedway Blvd in the afternoon.

Good luck with the potential move!

Old 10-05-2018, 06:52 AM

5,294 posts, read 3,171,025 times
My two cents

Does the Cary area get all 4 seasons? Yes but spring, fall and winter are somewhat abbreviated, however they do provide some great weather.

Do a lot of the leaves change in the Fall? Yes but I see that you said you are from "up north". I don't know where you're form specifically, but the changing of the leaves is nowhere as dramatic as you would see in the northeast (I'm from MA originally). It is pretty but not spectacular.

Can I expect the weather to get cool during the Fall there? Cool, not cold.

Or will it be hot on Halloween, as it is here in FL? October can be hit or miss. Last year I was sitting outside in shorts/t-shirt and was very comfortable.

How is the weather in December? Cool, not cold. Things get cold (relatively) in Jan/Feb. December can be hit or miss, one year we had snow flurries on Christmas day and other years it's quite warm.

How is the traffic in Raleigh? During rush hours it's no fun, but outside of 7-9, 4-6 it's a breeze. As much as I complain to friends about the traffic here it's still better than Boston or South Florida, other places I've lived. There is zero meaningful public transportation so all those people moving here will be on the road going to work.

Would it be overwhelming for someone who's used to areas that have a smaller population (for example, right now I live in Daytona Beach, FL)? No, it's pretty small town feel everywhere, including Raleigh.

I to stay mainly in Cary but I'm sure we'll have to go into Raleigh at some point if we move to the area. As stated above, they are right next to each other.

Does the city spray for mosquitoes? No, I really don't think there is a need. Outside of the issue with the hurricane leaving a ton of standing water, I don't think I've ever had a problem with mosquitoes.

Are there a lot of ticks in the area? Not sure what you consider "a lot". I have a pet and I put down tick killer on my grass - I haven't seen a tick on him in years.

How far away is the closest mountain? The mountains are 3 hours away.

Old 10-05-2018, 07:12 AM

3,394 posts, read 7,750,843 times
As to the closest mountain question...from the airport exits on I-40 in Cary, Google gives driving times as:

Pilot Mountain 1:46
Hanging Rock 1:58
Morrow Mountain 2:02
Stone Mountain 2:21
Boone 2:47

By the 3 hour mark, you are firmly in “the mountains” and not just to the closest one

Old 10-05-2018, 07:27 AM

4,255 posts, read 4,684,752 times
  • Does the Cary area get all 4 seasons? YES
  • Do a lot of the leaves change in the Fall? YES, generally late October to late November. Some areas are mostly pine (evergreen) but others are mostly hardwood.
  • Can I expect the weather to get cool during the Fall there? YES, first overnight freeze is usually within a week of Halloween.
  • Or will it be hot on Halloween, as it is here in FL? MAYBE, the weather in October can vary a lot from one week to next. But I would say "hot" is unlikely if you mean 90s.
  • How is the weather in December? VARIABLE, there have been snow flurries in December but there have also been days in the 80s.
  • How is the traffic in Raleigh? DEPENDS on where you go and the time of day. Orlando and Tampa are comparable. Not as bad as Ft Lauderdale/Miami, Atlanta, DC, NY, or Boston.
  • Are there a lot of ticks in the area? SOME not a lot.

Old 10-05-2018, 07:29 AM

678 posts, read 734,905 times
I don't know about four seasons now. It's been pretty hot from April to October this year. I think we only had like two weeks of "Spring"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary