Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2018, 09:01 PM
ERH

1,700 posts, read 2,530,764 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmellc View Post
Told him if Sears wanted to survive they had to do better. This was just another in a long line of irritations I've had with Sears.
You won't have to worry with them much longer. They won't survive. That ship sailed YEARS ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2018, 09:42 PM
DPK

4,594 posts, read 5,727,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERH View Post
You won't have to worry with them much longer. They won't survive. That ship sailed YEARS ago.
Yeah I think everyone at this point knows (or should know) that Sears is a stones throw from deaths door. Eddie is milking the assets for what they are worth, slowly selling off everything until he's left with the buildings... which he'll then sell off along with the land they're on.

Sears and Kmart are not long for this earth.

Also telling some random worker that "Sears needs to do better" isn't going to change anything. The guy doesn't get paid enough to care, nor do people up at HQ give a flying flamingo who are riding the money train and jumping ship.

Old 10-05-2018, 01:39 PM

2,618 posts, read 3,148,515 times
Thanks for the feedback. Yes I knew Whirlpool made a lot of their stuff. I went to Sears online & entered part number. New number transposed itself & I tried it on a Whirlpool site. Came up over 5 dollars higher. I ordered from Sears. But now I know to find Whirlpool number online & I can probably get it at D&L here in Durham same day.

Ever since the early 80’s, I’ve found Sears to be messy & complicated about a lot of things. I’ve done other business with them too, as a contractor & they were difficult there too. I won’t miss them when they die, though I feel for the people losing jobs.

I managed a video arcade at Northgate in the early 80’s. I can tell you the folks there are already scrambling to find other anchor tenants. They already lost Belk, Hecht’s & Macy’s. Their pain has been ongoing a while. They used to take pride in low turnover & low vacancy rate. Then they built on in a big way. Then a recession came & Southpoint came.

Old 10-05-2018, 02:36 PM

2,267 posts, read 1,945,130 times
As someone who has had a good look at the inner workings of Sears Corporate...let me tell you that its the worst run company I've ever seen. Their whole business structure is flawed. I don't know how they got to this point but there is zero chance they don't go bankrupt in the near future. I've never seen such incompetence at all levels.

Old 10-05-2018, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPK View Post
Yeah I think everyone at this point knows (or should know) that Sears is a stones throw from deaths door. Eddie is milking the assets for what they are worth, slowly selling off everything until he's left with the buildings... which he'll then sell off along with the land they're on.

Also telling some random worker that "Sears needs to do better" isn't going to change anything. The guy doesn't get paid enough to care, nor do people up at HQ give a flying flamingo who are riding the money train and jumping ship.
Yes, but I can't NOT tell someone. They guy was actually very polite and thanked me for calling. I doubt anything will come of it but no one will have the excuse that they weren't informed of it. I remember my days in a corporation, with several of us bringing up issues at meetings. A manager from another dept said no one had brought any of these issues to his attention. I pointed out that all these issues were everyday conversation around the office and that things such as dilapidated office equipment were right in front of him.

Old 10-05-2018, 04:21 PM

1,423 posts, read 1,477,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cchampagne232000 View Post
As someone who has had a good look at the inner workings of Sears Corporate...let me tell you that its the worst run company I've ever seen. Their whole business structure is flawed. I don't know how they got to this point but there is zero chance they don't go bankrupt in the near future. I've never seen such incompetence at all levels.
Eddie Lampert (especially in the case of Sears).

Even ten years ago, Sears was in a much better place. They even remodeled a store in Georgia and the prototype wasn’t that bad.

Sears steps back in time to go forward - Chicago Tribune

Guess what happened to that store? It’s GONE.

Kmart used to be one of the largest big box stores in the country. They’re literally down to their last ten stores in North Carolina.

Old 10-06-2018, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Even when they had good products, I had long seen that I had to wait for sales to get things. I bought lots of tools, for example. They would sometimes have a good heavy duty Craftsman drill on sale for roughly $50-60. Same drill when not on sale would be $150 or so. Wild swing. When battery drills came along, I bought one from them and the following year I needed a new battery. I had to order it. It would fit the drill but not the charger. I bought a folding razor knife from them which was a standard shelf item. Blades for it were a special order.

I did buy lots of screwdrivers but it got to where they didn't hold up at all. Store would replace them but I couldn't be running back to the store twice a week or so. Various cutting pliers got so poor in quality I would have to look through a dozen pairs on shelf to find a pair with blades meeting properly. Harbor Freight tools were better and cheaper in some cases.

They had an excellent style of Craftsman hacksaw that I had and liked. When mine got stolen, I went for another one and they had discontinued it. Same with a tool chest I had from them. It was a great item and i used it for 10 years or so. Still using part of it. When parts of it broke, I found they no longer had that model. Then again, I have that luck often. I find something I like and the store or manufacturer discontinue it.

Part of why I ever kept going there was that I found a few great people there, who knew their jobs and their products. Northgate parts people were always friendly and often knew the products very well. A couple of tool and appliance clerks kept me loyal for awhile. These people were good reps in a sea of confusion. My loyalty was really to them, not the organization.

Old 10-06-2018, 01:12 PM

1,423 posts, read 1,477,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPK View Post

Quote:
By the looks of it, Sears may be going under sooner rather than later

It’s a sad day when most of the items sold at Dollar Tree are worth more than your stock.

Old 10-06-2018, 02:22 PM
DPK

4,594 posts, read 5,727,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renownedtheworldaround View Post
By the looks of it, Sears may be going under sooner rather than later

It’s a sad day when most of the items sold at Dollar Tree are worth more than your stock.
Yeah, it's pretty tragic what's happened to Sears. There was a blurb on CNN the other day about it basically being a penny stock now. It's pretty crazy to think in their long history, their stock price has never been lower.

https://money.cnn.com/2018/09/28/new...ock/index.html

Quote:
In the latest indignity for a once-grand retailer, the share price fell below $1 on Friday for the first time in the company's history, dropping as much as 15% to 85 cents in midday trading.
The NASDAQ could delist their stock if the stock does not get back above $1 per share within 30 days now. They have a $1 trade minimum.

Old 10-06-2018, 11:22 PM

2,267 posts, read 1,945,130 times
The saddest part its its pure incompetence that got them there. Sure their business model was outdated...but its their pure inability to function at a basic level that is leading to their failure. So many purchases unable to be delivered, so many installations done wrong, so many customers that chose Sears only to learn to never do business with them again. Its just insane to me that a company got that horrible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary