Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2018, 06:06 PM

2,148 posts, read 1,693,353 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renownedtheworldaround View Post
Without saying too much, I most definitely agree with the bolded part. I also maintain my belief that Lowe’s Foods could be the next to leave this market (unless they sell out). A few of these new entrants might also have trouble getting their foot in the door; For example, Lidl had a couple of problems entering the United States and scaled their expansion plans a bit.

This would be more of a move to retain Whole Foods shoppers, if anything. Despite being owned by Amazon, Whole Foods is still a niche market. I don’t care for “Natural” or “Organic” like that; Why am I inclined to pay $120 dollars (I use Amazon sometimes, just not enough to warrant Prime) just to save on a couple of items at a grocery store that I don’t really use. It’s also weird with all the people that complain about loyalty programs on this forum, that people would actually pay an annual fee for one.
The Amazon Prime Membership is not/would not be just for groceries. It's just one of the perks they would offer, along with video, free shipping (on many items), music, etc.

And let's not pretend that Amazon would necessarily stop with their purchase of Whole Foods, if their model is successful. They have a butt-load of cash.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2018, 06:47 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,249,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reds37win View Post
The Amazon Prime Membership is not/would not be just for groceries. It's just one of the perks they would offer, along with video, free shipping (on many items), music, etc.

And let's not pretend that Amazon would necessarily stop with their purchase of Whole Foods, if their model is successful. They have a butt-load of cash.
The way it is now, grocery-type stuff falls under Prime Pantry, which is an additional $5/month on top of Prime.

Old 10-09-2018, 06:56 PM

4,477 posts, read 11,609,161 times
I think a 20% reduction in store size is pretty interesting, especially for a location like Davis Drive.

Old 10-09-2018, 07:53 PM

9,144 posts, read 14,740,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adlnc07 View Post
I think a 20% reduction in store size is pretty interesting, especially for a location like Davis Drive.
It's still double the size of your average HT. It's just no longer almost as big as a Lowes Home Improvement store. Honestly, it is insane to think about a grocery store that large.

Old 10-09-2018, 08:03 PM

743 posts, read 823,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
It's still double the size of your average HT. It's just no longer almost as big as a Lowes Home Improvement store. Honestly, it is insane to think about a grocery store that large.
HT has recently built some super stores in 80,000 plus range with fuel stations, wine & beer bar etc

Old 10-09-2018, 11:02 PM

3,660 posts, read 3,928,939 times
If it were me for such a destination-type of grocery store I'd have one in Southwest Raleigh and one on !5-501 at I-40.

The manner in which people have glorified this establishment leads me to believe that people will make the pilgrimage no matter how far they have to drive.

Could this industry's love of the Triangle have anything to do with food being a tad too much a part of people's lives?

I'm a native and when I visit home not only do I want to smoke a cigarette as part of enjoying the moment (former smoker of 15 years) but I also get the feeling that food is seen as the main way to enjoy life other than s*x which isn't discussed as openly.

That's just the vibe I get when I home but I'm around mostly natives though, and most of y'all probably aren't.

Old 10-10-2018, 12:42 AM

1,423 posts, read 1,473,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by js4life View Post
HT has recently built some super stores in 80,000 plus range with fuel stations, wine & beer bar etc
Harris Teeter actually has a 100,000 square foot store that’s currently under construction by the same company that is developing the East Cary Wegmans. A typical Kroger Marketplace is around the same size as a Wegmans (123,000 sq. ft. for the prototype if I am correct)

100,000+ square foot stores are actually more common than you think. It’s just not that common in NC

Last edited by Renownedtheworldaround; 10-10-2018 at 12:52 AM..

Old 10-10-2018, 12:54 AM

1,423 posts, read 1,473,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by architect77 View Post
If it were me for such a destination-type of grocery store I'd have one in Southwest Raleigh and one on !5-501 at I-40.

The manner in which people have glorified this establishment leads me to believe that people will make the pilgrimage no matter how far they have to drive.

Could this industry's love of the Triangle have anything to do with food being a tad too much a part of people's lives?

I'm a native and when I visit home not only do I want to smoke a cigarette as part of enjoying the moment (former smoker of 15 years) but I also get the feeling that food is seen as the main way to enjoy life other than s*x which isn't discussed as openly.

That's just the vibe I get when I home but I'm around mostly natives though, and most of y'all probably aren't.
Wegmans actually has a store going in not too far from 15/501 at 49

Old 10-14-2018, 10:17 AM

6,297 posts, read 16,081,642 times
I grew up with Wegmans. I'm thrilled one will be nearby.

I wonder if Trader Joe's will survive. I don't see how they can.

Old 10-14-2018, 10:23 AM

4,302 posts, read 5,977,798 times
TJ’s has opened locations in both Rochester and Buffalo over the past 5-7 years and they are doing fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary