Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-15-2018, 08:41 PM

51 posts, read 48,437 times

Advertisements

We are having a hard time finding bike shops that offer a wider selection of brands of bikes for kids/tweens including both Trek and Specialized. We have only found one shop that carries Trek and only one model for a tall almost tween. Are there any popular stores in the Triangle offering more brands under one roof? Thanks for your input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2018, 09:37 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,209,782 times
where have you looked that didn't meet your needs?

Performance is a great shop

Old 10-16-2018, 04:09 AM

1,467 posts, read 5,129,113 times
I’ve started the same search. We bought our last bikes at REI.

Old 10-16-2018, 07:23 AM

11,222 posts, read 8,299,871 times
I would look at Performance or REI. They don't carry the brands you mention, but they carry "pretty good" brands. For a kid, they will outgrow their bikes pretty fast, and Performance and REI give a nice balance between quality and budget.

Nicer than Dicks, better bikes. Cheaper than your LBS (Local Bike Shop)

If you are set on those brands, check out All-Star. I know they carry Giant, and I think they carry Specialized. Trek is in N. Raleigh, and either Cycles Spoken Here (not a well-liked shop by many in the biking community) or Bicycle Chain, in Cary and Apex respectively. You'd have to call to verify.

Old 10-16-2018, 07:24 AM

13,714 posts, read 12,427,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KitKat211 View Post
We are having a hard time finding bike shops that offer a wider selection of brands of bikes for kids/tweens including both Trek and Specialized. We have only found one shop that carries Trek and only one model for a tall almost tween. Are there any popular stores in the Triangle offering more brands under one roof? Thanks for your input!
How tall? I ask because I was tall for my age and given an Adult bike at 12. But at that age I was as tall as many adults.

Old 10-16-2018, 08:51 AM

634 posts, read 912,940 times
When listing bicycle shops, it might be helpful to consider how accommodating the shop is to sizing the bike inventory properly, as in swapping and adjusting parts such as the seat, seat post, handlebar stem, handlebar controls and in some cases, tires.

The bicycle frame size only gets you into the ball park, sizing-wise.

It's difficult and cost-prohibitive to stock lots of bikes - smart shops are willing to correctly size their inventory for a broader crowd.

Since almost all bikes are coming out of Taiwan, I'd optimize fit over brand and reach higher than the bottom rung, price-wise.

Old 10-16-2018, 08:55 AM

806 posts, read 604,155 times
Cycling Spoken Here in Cary is a large store and has Trek. I don't think they carry Specialized though.

Old 10-16-2018, 08:57 AM

11,222 posts, read 8,299,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncrkd View Post
When listing bicycle shops, it might be helpful to consider how accommodating the shop is to sizing the bike inventory properly, as in swapping and adjusting parts such as the seat, seat post, handlebar stem, handlebar controls and in some cases, tires.

The bicycle frame size only gets you into the ball park, sizing-wise.

It's difficult and cost-prohibitive to stock lots of bikes - smart shops are willing to correctly size their inventory for a broader crowd.
As an avid cyclist, I'm going to disagree. Your point is excellent, and if I were buying for myself or another adult, it's VERY important. But for a growing kid, it just doesn't pay off to go to that expense and effort (it's why I recommended the cheaper shops). If the kid is growing, that "sizing" won't last very long.

Performance, in particular, has some great clearance deals on bikes of all styles. Again, I'm just stating an opinion, not a fact. If OP is willing to spend money to get the perfect fit, and does so knowing it won't last, then you are 100% correct. Also, I guess it depends on how the rider will use the bike, and what level rider they are.

Old 10-16-2018, 09:27 AM

634 posts, read 912,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
... for a growing kid, it just doesn't pay off to go to that expense and effort ...
Yep, there's that - never having children myself, I don't take into consideration the growth factor. There's no pills for that?

How about - a good shop may know what bike will adapt better as the child grows. In particular, starting off I'd make sure the child can operate the brakes ...

Old 10-16-2018, 04:03 PM

5,743 posts, read 17,600,206 times
Due to the growth factor, I buy my kids bikes on CraigsList. I bought them both some very lightly used Specialized HotRock 24" bikes for less than $175. The oldest is 13 and he just outgrew his this spring, so I gave him my old Specialized Camber 29er medium.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary