Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2018, 12:12 PM

25,118 posts, read 16,198,148 times

Advertisements

Newburyport was settled in 1635, has tons of VERY old buildings and a typical extremely compact downtown. Nothing here predominantly in that size of downtown predates 1920.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2018, 03:49 AM

2,625 posts, read 4,006,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
Newburyport was settled in 1635, has tons of VERY old buildings and a typical extremely compact downtown. Nothing here predominantly in that size of downtown predates 1920.
Yeah, I realize that, we have been to the Triangle several times. Was looking more for the amenities I mentioned and "vibe" of the towns vs what they look like. Realize that everything is much more spread apart there and not as walkable.

Thanks for all the replies!

Old 10-28-2018, 04:27 AM

812 posts, read 830,987 times
Went to the downtown Cary Fall Festival yesterday; one of the many festivals and events that occur downtown nearly year-round. People stretched from the movie theater down to the fountain park, the library, and the Cary Arts Center (they have live plays there too). While walking around, popped in La Farm Bakery and bought a $6 candied bacon covered gourmet s'more. It was served to me by a lady all tatted up with a nose ring and expandable plug ear piercings..... would not be surprised at all if she is a vegan. Upscale-crunchy-granola???

Old 10-28-2018, 07:36 AM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
Folks say that Hillsborough reminds them more of New England, fwiw. I think it's pretty darn Southern myself
I spent plenty of time in New England growing up as my mom is from NH and nothing about Hillsborough struck me as particularly New England-ish so I agree with you there. Honestly I felt like I was in a John Grisham novel with all the attorney offices and said attorneys walking around in their seersucker suits.

Old 10-28-2018, 07:37 AM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
You miss-spelled "coolest part of".
Proving my point, if you're an alum or employee I'm sure it's very cool....otherwise it gets wearing after a few days.

Old 10-28-2018, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncrunner77 View Post
Went to the downtown Cary Fall Festival yesterday; one of the many festivals and events that occur downtown nearly year-round. People stretched from the movie theater down to the fountain park, the library, and the Cary Arts Center (they have live plays there too). While walking around, popped in La Farm Bakery and bought a $6 candied bacon covered gourmet s'more. It was served to me by a lady all tatted up with a nose ring and expandable plug ear piercings..... would not be surprised at all if she is a vegan. Upscale-crunchy-granola???
Nose rings and plug ear piercings are not my thing. That's why I said I probably used the wrong term in saying "crunchy granola". I'm not into avant garde, aging (or young) hippies, grunge, etc.

Think Napa Valley - beautiful country-ish landscape but not rural (farms and vineyards outside of the downtowns), upscale but not glitzy or ostentatious, trendy restaurants, definitely a health bent - lots of organic and farm to table restaurants, tons of farmers markets - lots of unique shops, great bookstores - Calistoga, St. Helena, Healdsburg, Sonoma.

Old 10-28-2018, 08:26 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,321,421 times
Have you looked at Pinehurst? Not really in the Triangle, but not that far — about an hour from Raleigh. Great medical care there. Pinehurst itself is pretty upscale, genteel, artsy, very golfy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UU7EJfHBsfk

Old 10-28-2018, 08:44 AM

Yes! Stopped there and Southern Pines on our way back from our last Chapel Hill trip. Thought both towns were cute, but it felt really isolated and small to me. I think I'd go stir crazy there.

Old 10-28-2018, 08:59 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,321,421 times
Really? It's almost the same population as Newburyport, just a few minutes further from Raleigh than Newburyport is from Boston. More miles, but less traffic.

It really sounds like you're looking for Newburyport in North Carolina and I don't think that exists here. We do have some great towns, but they are their own things.

Maybe check out Wake Forest? https://www.wakeforestnc.gov/discove...ke-forest.aspx

Old 10-29-2018, 04:32 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,259,873 times
There is not a town in the Triangle that is even remotely close to being similar to Newburyport - I mean Newburyport is a small, charming port town. The Triangle is suburbia with some small urbanish cores - not saying there aren't charming parts of the Triangle, but being on the water is a totally different thing.

If Newburyport is what you're looking for, you probably won't be happy here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary