Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2018, 10:26 AM

2,819 posts, read 2,583,881 times

Advertisements

I wish we would create parking spaces for them, similar to a bike rack setup so they weren’t discarded wherever. I think that would fix a lot of people’s complaints about them. Not sure if that’s in the works or anything but I’d like to see a setup where your card is charged a deposit that you only get back upon returning it to it’s station.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2018, 10:31 AM

3,501 posts, read 6,165,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UserNamesake View Post
On cue... here comes the throng of CD members being all curmudgeon-y.
And here comes the "if you don't agree with me, you're a <insert derogatory term of choice>. Stop being a snowflake. (How do YOU like being pointlessly judged?) I think scooters are great. But not THESE scooters and the way they were dumped in the city by a company not accepting its own responsibility or liability. And not the way the users leave them lying around like a bunch of kids who dump their toys on the playground or the front yard. They're all over the place -- sidewalks, driveways, parking lots. These companies are making a fortune using a business model that essentially dumps the responsibility on the city, and if no one accepts that responsibility, we're left with an eyesore or worse. You may not mind our city looking like a bad trailer park, but I do. Nothing curmudgeon-y about that.

Old 10-22-2018, 10:32 AM

3,501 posts, read 6,165,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annabanana123 View Post
I wish we would create parking spaces for them, similar to a bike rack setup so they weren’t discarded wherever. I think that would fix a lot of people’s complaints about them. Not sure if that’s in the works or anything but I’d like to see a setup where your card is charged a deposit that you only get back upon returning it to it’s station.
Yep, and it needs to be the responsibility of the company, NOT the city. NOT our dime.

Old 10-22-2018, 10:44 AM

2,511 posts, read 2,817,231 times
Too many lawyers--they need to find something to do.

Old 10-22-2018, 10:50 AM

22,668 posts, read 36,787,758 times
You're posting on an Internet forum...if you don't want to be disagreed with, don't post.

Quote:
I agree. Cities that have bikes for rent have this, not sure how it's going to be cost effective in the long run for scooter companies to have their property laying around in all kinds of weather.

Old 10-22-2018, 11:06 AM

1,228 posts, read 797,390 times
Lawn darts. They were fun too...

Old 10-22-2018, 11:31 AM

16,418 posts, read 12,502,320 times
Quote:
My guess is that they don't want to do that because then they'd have to pay to lease space.

I was perusing their website, and found this interesting:

Quote:
Where can I park a Lime?

Limes can be parked anywhere it is safe to park a bicycle. Do block sidewalks, service ramps, bus stops and shop entrances.
Who can spot the typo?

I see they also don't seem to discourage parking on private property.

Old 10-22-2018, 11:40 AM

6,344 posts, read 4,406,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
This is not a local discussion. The suit is in CA, and would presumably cover all locations. Nothing unique to the triangle.

As for the scooters: I think they are pretty cool, but they were introduced in a disingenuous way. Unfortunately, lawsuits is how things get done in America. They need have some basic guidelines:
-I don't care about helmets, but there should be (and I think there are) warnings.
-They should be docked, or otherwise find a way to keep them from laying in the streets and sidwalks.
-There needs to be rules. They are actually vehicles, and should not be on the sidewalks
-Yet they are not really cars, and should not mingle with traffic
-Gotta figure out a balance for those two^, and mostly get people using them somewhat consistently

If you want to have nice things, then more thought needs to go into it. If I were walking on a clean sidewalk and tripped and hurt myself due to a misplaced scooter that DOES NOT belong on the sidewalk, I'd be tempted to sue (but probably wouldn't). If I got mowed down from behind, on a SIDEWALK, I'd be tempted. If I were driving legally, and some D-B zipped out in front of me, causing injury to them, me or others, I'd definitely be upset.

I'd like to see them succeed, but so far, the companies putting them out there are not on a good track.
I think they beep if you move them without paying so maybe same thing if you lay them down in the ground?

Old 10-22-2018, 11:49 AM

1,423 posts, read 1,477,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
My guess is that they don't want to do that because then they'd have to pay to lease space.

I was perusing their website, and found this interesting:

Who can spot the typo?

I see they also don't seem to discourage parking on private property.
I see it (typo).

Old 10-22-2018, 11:53 AM

6,653 posts, read 5,588,554 times
The problem with setting up "stations" for the scooters as well is that it takes away the flexibility of being able to travel directly to your destination. Currently, the downfall of a docked system such as the bike share system that Raleigh is about to launch is that you can ride to a station but still have to walk to your final destination. Or there might not even be a station close to your destination! Those are some issues that the scooters can fill in for those who a docked system might not work out well for. Currently, the Raleigh city council proposes suggests not allowing scooter parking where there isn't a sidewalk, which is a lot of residential neighborhoods.

I do think that it'll be good to set up parking spots for really popular destinations - you can easily take away one parking spot for a whole bunch of scooters to reduce the clutter. Just don't think it should be mandatory, just encouraged where it is available.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary