Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2018, 02:43 PM

16,390 posts, read 12,405,212 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
I know you're joking, but people in urban areas will often refuse to walk more than a block to get coffee. That's why there is a coffee shop on just about every corner in NYC.
I find quite the opposite when I'm working in NYC. My city counterparts often say how something is "just" 15 blocks away. Walking is NBD for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2018, 06:56 PM

2,584 posts, read 1,863,073 times
Quote:
People who live and work in downtown areas can use these scooters to commute to work or go shopping
Save for a few people like those who still insist on wearing Man Buns, I just don't see scooters becoming commuting or shopping vehicles.

Old 10-24-2018, 07:07 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,381,906 times
Maybe autonomous scooters will change everyone's behavior

Old 10-24-2018, 08:54 PM

25,119 posts, read 16,149,377 times
I'm holding out for my Jetsons car.

Old 10-25-2018, 05:38 AM

11,208 posts, read 8,264,953 times
Quote:
They can create docks or spaces for the scooters, but that decreases their usability.
Docks should be part of a multi-part plan for how to park them.

I would put docks in destination places:
-Morgan Street Food Hall*
-Convention Center
-Several on Glenwood South
-Couple in Moore Square
-Couple near the Pit/Crankarm
-Train Station
-City Market
-Museums
-etc....

*(Morgan Street Food hall would arguably benefit from this, as it would make them a much easier lunch destination for business people during the week.)

Then follow the painted, designated parking spots for all else, potentially using my suggestion of 'economic encouragement' to not leave them on sidewalks, or outside designated range.

Not only would the docks help to declutter in high-density areas, but they would serve as charging stations.

All of this goes back to the original point, and the REAL reason people are upset. It's not because we hate scooters. It's because a company came in and dropped them on our city, expecting the city and the tax-payers to deal with the burden, while they cashed the check.

I don't know if my ideas are good or not, but (to me) it shows that with a little bit of planning, and with some collaboration with all affected parties (Bird, City, Users, Businesses, etc.) that this could be turned from a nuisance to a good thing for the city.

Old 10-25-2018, 07:14 AM

2,148 posts, read 1,690,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
Docks should be part of a multi-part plan for how to park them.

I would put docks in destination places:
-Morgan Street Food Hall*
-Convention Center
-Several on Glenwood South
-Couple in Moore Square
-Couple near the Pit/Crankarm
-Train Station
-City Market
-Museums
-etc....

*(Morgan Street Food hall would arguably benefit from this, as it would make them a much easier lunch destination for business people during the week.)

Then follow the painted, designated parking spots for all else, potentially using my suggestion of 'economic encouragement' to not leave them on sidewalks, or outside designated range.

Not only would the docks help to declutter in high-density areas, but they would serve as charging stations.

All of this goes back to the original point, and the REAL reason people are upset. It's not because we hate scooters. It's because a company came in and dropped them on our city, expecting the city and the tax-payers to deal with the burden, while they cashed the check.

I don't know if my ideas are good or not, but (to me) it shows that with a little bit of planning, and with some collaboration with all affected parties (Bird, City, Users, Businesses, etc.) that this could be turned from a nuisance to a good thing for the city.
I've been over this post a couple of times now, looking for something to disagree.

Nope, nope, can't find it.

Old 10-25-2018, 01:49 PM

6,650 posts, read 5,562,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
I like you pierre. I know you have some actual expertise in the topic. Keep living the dream if it includes taking away car capacity for wider sidewalks/scooter capacity.

Now - you do have a great idea, maybe.

Let me preface it by saying ... do more recent downtown denizens realize that a HUGE problem with downtown was (who knows why today, but it was) when they shut down Fayetteville St to vehicles?

It would be GREAT to improve car traffic where we took 1/2 the N-S streets downtown (and probably 80% of the E-W) and turned them very low speed - at best 15 mph, angled parking w/20% of spots dedicated to bikes and scooters, add some speed bumps, etc. Get ALL the through-traffic off of them.

And then on the through streets, no parking, very limited pedestrian crossing (only at stop lights).
!
FYI - it seems like a study to introduce something like this is currently ongoing: https://goraleigh.org/downtownplan

Looks like they will roll out preliminary recommendations next month.

Old 10-25-2018, 02:42 PM
Status: "Made the Retirement Run in under 12 parsecs!!!" (set 22 days ago)

43,176 posts, read 76,826,386 times
Just saw two scooters staged at a bus stop on Maynard in Cary.
Taking up half the sidewalk. That needs fixin'.

Old 10-27-2018, 03:50 PM

2,486 posts, read 2,534,589 times
free, emission-free way to get out to vote:

https://mashable.com/article/lime-fr...oter-bike-vote

Meanwhile, over in Asheville:
https://www.msn.com/en-us/finance/ne...ting-to-happen

excerpt:
Raleigh is in the process now of considering whether to allow Bird to continue operating in the city. In July, Bird one day suddenly launched a fleet in Raleigh of about 150 scooters, which has now grown to about 1,100. Another e-scooter company, Lime, also operates about 300 scooters in the city.

Raleigh City Council recently voted to allow the companies to continue operating under new guidelines that include a minimum riding age of 18, restrictions on where scooters can be parked and a cap — 1,500 — on the total number of scooters in the city, but the council has yet to make a final decision on how they will be managed.

According to the Raleigh News & Observer, there have been 16 scooter-related accidents in the past three months, and Wake County EMS has been called about 20 times.

Old 11-06-2018, 04:55 AM

363 posts, read 437,751 times
Here's an idea. Buy your own non-motorized scooter, tuck carrying case in your daypack, use it to commute from nearest public transport or parking spot, get a little daily exercise, zero pollution, eliminate docking concerns. Works in big cities, it could work here!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary