Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2018, 04:53 PM

10 posts, read 8,884 times

Advertisements

I would like to buy a townhouse thing is, I have lived in an apartment where smoking was allowed and the smoke always got inside my apartment no matter how many air filters or air purifiers I bought, I always would smell the smoke. I now live in a smoke free building which is great. I am afraid if I were to buy a townhome I would have the same problem with smoke entering my home. Can anyone tell me if townhomes are built in a way where this would not happen? And if so how could I verify that the townhome I would want to buy is built in a way where the smoke from the shared wall would not come through. Thank you in advance for your help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2018, 05:15 PM

1,231 posts, read 3,149,572 times
Townhomes are built out of wood. Smoke will not come through the wall but if your neighbor is smoking outside or on a balcony...that smoke may blow through an open window.

Old 10-17-2018, 09:30 PM

399 posts, read 700,407 times
What are apartments made of? Plastic? Cardboard?? what? 😐

Old 10-18-2018, 06:05 AM

8,159 posts, read 10,925,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by borisiskelly View Post
I am afraid if I were to buy a townhome I would have the same problem with smoke entering my home. Can anyone tell me if townhomes are built in a way where this would not happen? And if so how could I verify that the townhome I would want to buy is built in a way where the smoke from the shared wall would not come through. Thank you in advance for your help
You'll have to do some detective work. In my neighborhood they sandwich thick panels between two stud walls in townhomes and paired ranches. These panels are fire retardant, sound proofing and vapor barrier. I'll try to find out exactly what the panels are.

Old 10-18-2018, 06:41 AM

16,415 posts, read 12,492,377 times
Townhomes should all have concrete fire walls in between each unit. I never noticed smelling smoke when I lived in a townhome, but I don't recall if I had any smokers nearby.

Old 10-20-2018, 07:27 AM

397 posts, read 805,286 times
It really depends on the builder. Years ago I almost bought a townhome from standard pacific in briar creek. The 3 story did not share a wall with your neighbor as a buffer was built in between. It can make a big difference in cutting down on noise, vibration and maybe things like smoke as well.

I ended up buying a Lennar townhome instead. It was pretty bad in comparison as I could hear my neighbors walk up and down their steps and a lot of vibrations came though. It just wasn’t built very well in that regard. My neighbors didn’t smoke though so guess I was lucky there.

I have a Lennar single family house now, but would never want to live in one of their townhomes again based on my experience. Townhomes are always a crapshoot as your quality of life depends a lot on who lives next to you as well.

Old 10-20-2018, 11:12 AM

105 posts, read 101,369 times
Depends on the construction. Many townhomes and condos that are not towers share an attic space, so it's possible that smoke could be smelled on your upper level. Typically they're built with fire walls in between, but again it depends on the material used. When I was in Florida townhomes typically had concrete block for separation, but I've seen them built with blocks only on the first floor and wood/fire rated barriers for above that, and then a brick veneer on the outside to conceal the mixed material construction.

Also, there are apartment buildings and even hotels that are converted to condos that have firewalls retrofitted in, and again the method varies.

Old 10-27-2018, 11:17 PM

10 posts, read 8,277 times
Real townhouses would have a firewall for the shared wall. As some other posters have noted, they are required. It completely separates the two houses and if done right, keeps the adjacent houses safe if one catches on fire. I have unfortunately seen one in action, and it was quite successful in keeping the fire from spreading.

So there are no shared vents, etc in townhouses. If your next door neighbor smoked, you would only smell it through an open window or if your neighbor was constantly sitting on their step smoking. (I would hope people would be more considerate than that.) I've lived in mine for 10 years and never had a problem with picking up any other smells, etc. Ours are also good for noise. The only time there is ever noise is if your neighbor puts something with heavy bass right up against the shared walls. Otherwise, you only hear noise through the windows. Townhouses are great because you have more control over your home (i.e., not being at the mercy of the condo above you not having an overflowing tub, etc) but you don't have all the worries that come along with a regular freestanding house. Good luck!

Old 10-28-2018, 08:42 AM

653 posts, read 2,704,915 times
Here's a good example of a townhouse fire from this morning.

WRAL: 6 displaced, 1 hospitalized after Raleigh townhouse fire

Old 10-28-2018, 02:41 PM

609 posts, read 505,727 times
Sometimes, there are patios at the back of townhouses, where people can do all types of activities such as having friends/family over, parties, BBQs, including smoking ... which might end up in your house via windows.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
View detailed profiles of: