Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2018, 10:21 AM

609 posts, read 505,553 times

Advertisements

Nobody is dismissing the fact that IBM has brought a lot of jobs to the triangle. Don't get the message twisted.
When a high tech company is mostly driven by the quarterly numbers, then it does impact the morale as well as the quality of the products delivered. Although IBM has led the country in patents for decades, IBM has had a hard time keeping up with other more innovative competitors. This is not a secret in the industry.
Lots of Redhat employees in the triangle used to work for IBM and are very familiar with the IBM Culture. IBM should foster an environment where innovation would be as important as quarterly numbers. In other words, IBM should stop pretending.
Yes, we all hope that Redhat culture eventually takes over IBM. This would be good for IBM, good for jobs and also good for the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2018, 10:49 AM

2,411 posts, read 2,690,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by henriInCary View Post
Yes, we all hope that Redhat culture eventually takes over IBM. This would be good for IBM, good for jobs and also good for the area.
Agree!

The hard part will be ~12,000 Redhat employees trying to change a culture of ~366,000 IBM employees across the globe. Redhat is going to be a drop in the bucket now in the IBM conglomerate... roughly 3% of IBM's headcount and revenue. A positive culture can be infectious and create change within a much larger group, it just won't necessarily be easy.

Most mergers across industries start out with "the company we are acquiring will be a standalone business and we won't change their culture too much." That usually lasts a little bit.... until there is some inevitable management turnover, the "synergy" people get their hands on things, employees forget what life was like prior to IBM, etc... and somebody else goes "why the heck do we have a brand called Redhat! We should rename this under the IBM banner! Let's get some synergy!"

Old 10-30-2018, 11:39 AM

1,177 posts, read 2,339,877 times
My friends who work at IBM will tell you that IBM (or at least the RTP site) has shifted culture to appeal to the millenials. This is due to a lot of other IBM acquisitions which has made IBM realize they need to change their archaic culture.

Half of the IBM buildings at the RTP site have already been converted to startup like environments, with modern furniture, agile spaces, high tech equipment, video games, etc.

Hopefully RedHat will provide even more positive influence to IBM.

Old 10-30-2018, 12:34 PM

186 posts, read 177,224 times
Being a Linux user and advocate, I am cautiously optimistic about this news. IBM is a very different company that the one some people used to hate. IBM embraced Open Source a very long time ago and warmed up to Linux when a handful of other companies did. I think that IBM will make more resources available to the Open Source community and if there are any job losses they will be minimal.

However, I am very skeptic about the future presence of Red Hat in Downtown Raleigh. Hopefully, IBM will recognize that Red Hat belongs there and let the employees work in a familiar environment. IF, and this is a big IF, Red Hat departs Downtown Raleigh, it will hurt the latter's image and put a break on our efforts to bring more technology companies to Raleigh. Red Hat's presence in Downtown created momentum and I am afraid that this will be reversed. Let's hope that common sense will prevail.

Old 10-30-2018, 06:02 PM

29 posts, read 25,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meanieme View Post
Half of the IBM buildings at the RTP site have already been converted to startup like environments, with modern furniture, agile spaces, high tech equipment, video games, etc.
"Half" is false. The vast majority of spaces are unchanged.

Old 10-30-2018, 06:06 PM

29 posts, read 25,618 times
Quote:
I sense a lot of animosity towards IBM here.
2) Yes IBM does not have a good track record of integrating acquisitions. Which company has? It's always difficult with acquisitions. IBM acquired The Weather Company many years ago, and TWC still operates as an independent unit of IBM. I haven't read of any negative effects.
That acquisition is only three years old, even if you take the assessment at face value.

Old 10-31-2018, 06:58 AM

7,083 posts, read 9,561,771 times
Quote:
My friends who work at IBM will tell you that IBM (or at least the RTP site) has shifted culture to appeal to the millenials. This is due to a lot of other IBM acquisitions which has made IBM realize they need to change their archaic culture.

Hopefully RedHat will provide even more positive influence to IBM.
All of that is fine, but their pay and benefits need to be competitive. I have read lots of complaints about paltry raises and tiny bonuses compared to other tech companies. Don't give me video games and free snacks, give me good healthcare and raises that keep pace with cost-of-living.

I know people that got a .8% raise this year. Really? Couldn't round that up .2%? Meanwhile, other people I know get an average of at least 3% a year.

Old 10-31-2018, 07:11 AM

7,083 posts, read 9,561,771 times
Quote:
I sense a lot of animosity towards IBM here.
If you've been personally affected by IBM negatively, then I can see why you are biased.
Otherwise, I don't understand the negativity.

1) Yes IBM has layoffs, which company doesn't. IBM just makes the news more often. I'm sure Apple, SAS, Google has layoffs too, I don't see people hating on them.
2) Yes IBM does not have a good track record of integrating acquisitions. Which company has? It's always difficult with acquisitions. IBM acquired The Weather Company many years ago, and TWC still operates as an independent unit of IBM. I haven't read of any negative effects.
3) IBM was the largest employer in the Triangle. Maybe it still is? It has brought thousands of jobs and economy here. Remember and good times.
4) Talks of IBM shutting down RedHat Tower in Downtown is grossly overreacting and premature. PNC bought RBC downtown tower and still remains to this day.

Best outcome of this acquisition is RedHat is in tact culture and mgmt wise. Even better if RedHat CEO Jim takes over as IBM CEO. Seems human nature to complain, complain, complain! The world needs more positivity.
There wouldn't be negativity if there wasn't a hint of truth to what people are saying. I'm close to a few people involved in the IBM Verizon Cloud acquisition and the former Verizon employees aren't happy. People got demotions, no raises, and the health care is more expensive. Bonuses went from at least 7% to 12% to nothing. Even severance packages at IBM are much worse. When the benefits at Verizon are better than IBM, that says something.

Perhaps IBM is too BIG to offer great benefits packages?

If you start your career at IBM, you don't know any better. But if you are part of an acquisition, then that's when you are able to really apply a cost-benefit analysis of working for IBM.

I have known people for decades that have been laid off or left companies for various reasons. None of them sought to work for IBM.

IBM has to step up its game, stop sitting on cash (They had $34 billion to purchase Red Hat) and become a more competitive company in terms of benefits. OR else good talent will continue to work elsewhere. IT is almost in every place of employment. IBM is not the bee knees to work for anymore.

Old 10-31-2018, 07:41 AM

5,316 posts, read 3,204,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trent Y View Post
You can be as condescending as you want. Doesn't change the fact that some are acting like IBM came in their house, kicked their puppy, and plugged their toilet. Good buddy of mine works for Red Hat and he's taking it a whole lot less personal then the city data regulars.
Well he needs a job and I can't fault him for being positive. Good luck with that!

Old 10-31-2018, 08:33 AM

1,177 posts, read 2,339,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
All of that is fine, but their pay and benefits need to be competitive. I have read lots of complaints about paltry raises and tiny bonuses compared to other tech companies. Don't give me video games and free snacks, give me good healthcare and raises that keep pace with cost-of-living.

I know people that got a .8% raise this year. Really? Couldn't round that up .2%? Meanwhile, other people I know get an average of at least 3% a year.
Wouldn't we all love that! Continuous raises that helps us keep pace with cost of living!
I don't know any companies that continuously give good raises annually as at some point that can not be sustainable. Take SAS, I hear their salaries and raises are much lower than average. My SO works in Banking and got a measly 2% raise this year. I have IBM friends that got raises ranging from Nothing to 5% to 10%.

Tell me a company that gives good consistent annual raises so I can apply!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary