Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2018, 06:51 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,253,872 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
...and realtors who have a vested interest in making crime seem lower than it is.
I’m not a realtor. Frankly, Cary has gotten crowded enough for me to be glad if people wind up picking another suburb. But, I’m not going to try to pretend there’s excessive crime here. There’s not.

If you look at the crime stats and keep up with the news, you know most of the fairly low amount of violent crime here is not committed stranger vs. stranger. These are people who know one another most of the time.

I’ve lived here since crime was much lower than it is now and I don’t see any sort of daily difference.

No roving bands of gang bangers. No people lying in alleys and ODed on heroin, no driveby shootings, and no graffiti-covered overpasses.

Whenever crime comes up on here, people from places that are either smaller or more spread out make Cary sound like it rivals the most dangerous streets in Detroit and Oakland combined.

Old 11-01-2018, 06:57 AM

43,282 posts, read 77,104,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
https://files.nc.gov/ncdps/documents.../Gangs2013.pdf
https://www.wral.com/fbi-police-clai...gang/16973283/

"The indictment says that gang members earned money for their dues through various criminal activities, including robberies, fraud schemes and drug distribution."

https://abc11.com/news/a-step-toward...truce/1423063/

Some good pics to aid in identification here: https://www.ncleg.net/documentsites/...2016-03-10.pdf

"In indictments handed down last week, five people were linked to the gang. Four of them were already in custody."
five.
Five. FIVE. 5!
Dang. I dunno if I just wet my pants from abject fear or abject fear of laughing too hard.
Now checking all the door locks and cleaning the guns....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2018, 06:59 AM

3,501 posts, read 6,166,401 times
This thread is hilarious.

And hey, southdreamer, when are you gonna just pick a place and move?

Old 11-01-2018, 06:59 AM

6,799 posts, read 7,379,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
"In indictments handed down last week, five people were linked to the gang. Four of them were already in custody."
five.
Five. FIVE. 5!
Dang. I dunno if I just wet my pants from abject fear or abject fear of laughing too hard.
Now checking all the door locks and cleaning the guns....
Yeah, as I added to my post, the chances of being involved with a gang in Cary, if you're not IN the gang, is extremely remote. Its frankly comical to even ponder.

Old 11-01-2018, 07:05 AM

120 posts, read 97,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skaternum View Post
This thread is hilarious.

And hey, southdreamer, when are you gonna just pick a place and move?
I picked already a place and now it looks like there is one more thing to consider - GANGS(j/k)

Old 11-01-2018, 07:30 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,271,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
I’m not a realtor. Frankly, Cary has gotten crowded enough for me to be glad if people wind up picking another suburb. But, I’m not going to try to pretend there’s excessive crime here. There’s not.

If you look at the crime stats and keep up with the news, you know most of the fairly low amount of violent crime here is not committed stranger vs. stranger. These are people who know one another most of the time.

I’ve lived here since crime was much lower than it is now and I don’t see any sort of daily difference.

No roving bands of gang bangers. No people lying in alleys and ODed on heroin, no driveby shootings, and no graffiti-covered overpasses.

Whenever crime comes up on here, people from places that are either smaller or more spread out make Cary sound like it rivals the most dangerous streets in Detroit and Oakland combined.
Again I never said there was excessive crime - it's a safe place to live. All I'm saying (and I know I'm a broken record) is, depending on where you're coming from, the perception of crime may be different here. A lot of it has to do with it the fact that Cary is a large town/city of 160k(+?) people, so you're going to hear Cary in the news more often than if you live in a town of 20k people. I get that. BUT, there are places in the US where thefts, burglaries, home invasions, armed robberies, etc, are very rare. All those things are fairly common here - so if you're used to the former, the latter may seem concerning to you, and IMO that's important for people moving here to understand.

Old 11-01-2018, 07:31 AM

Quote:
I'm actually a bit sad for you.
It is quite possible to be a victim of crime, even if never actually experiencing a reportable offense.
It must be painful living and quivering in fear and checking ones' door locks and alarm system every time one hears a raised voice.
We have absolutely wonderful professional counseling available in the region for crippling neuroses.

Emotions aside, in 21 years in Cary, I have truly never felt threatened or been victimized by crime.
And, that includes visits to all areas of the triangle.

It is not a perfect region. Not by a long shot. But, it is a great area to live, when one gets away from The Slammer, the scanner, WRAL mugshots, and police reports as the preferred sources of news.
See my post above.

As an agent it's your job to understand where people are coming from, and what people are looking for in a place to live. SOME people might find the crime here higher than what they're used to. Making light of crime in the area isn't fair to your clients, and definitely not the people who have actually been victims of serious crimes around here.

Old 11-01-2018, 07:33 AM

Quote:
See my post above.

What "fairly common" stat level is it that makes you live in fear?

Old 11-01-2018, 07:39 AM

Quote:
See my post above.

As an agent it's your job to understand where people are coming from, and what people are looking for in a place to live. SOME people might find the crime here higher than what they're used to. Making light of crime in the area isn't fair to your clients, and definitely not the people who have actually been victims of serious crimes around here.
Don't make stuff up out of your neuroses.
1. When have you sat in with me on a conversation with a client?
2. How many times?

I predict:
1. "Never"

2. "Zero."

We are not crime-free. You can find what you are looking for easily enough.
If you have a hankering to compile some personal empirical data to groan about, and need help finding a place to get beat up, robbed, have your cufflinks swiped, I can help you arrange that. I know a few venues.

It may take a bit of effort to achieve that, so you might be required to proactively exhibit certain behaviors to achieve an encounter.
Dunno if I can get you shot. That would be the Platinum Package, and we are sold out...

Old 11-01-2018, 07:40 AM

Quote:
What "fairly common" stat level is it that makes you live in fear?
Why are you putting words in my mouth? When did I say I live in fear? For the 1 millionth time, crime here is not what I'm used to - that does not mean I live in fear. However, when you search Cary,NC on the internet and see articles titled "Cary, NC is the safest place to live in the US", that can definitely be misleading for some people planning to move here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary