Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2015, 08:23 AM

21,035 posts, read 27,468,969 times

Advertisements

Amberly Village is a retail center proposed on 22 acres at 7712 Carpenter Fire Station Road, Cary, North Carolina 27519-8625, the northwest corner of Carpenter Fire Station Road and Green Level Church Road, in the Town of Cary, North Carolina. It is reported to be anchored by Publix.

Cary Town Council will hold a hearing on Amberly Village at their meeting on Thursday, 19 November 2015, then refer it to Cary's planning and zoning board.

Further reading:
Trogdon, Kathryn. "Cary to consider proposed Publix shopping center development amid opposition." The News and Observer. 2015-11-18.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2015, 01:27 PM

3,242 posts, read 3,567,287 times
I've seen all the hue and cry complaining against this shopping center, as I live nearby, but actually I support additional retail. If I were a property owner in a similar situation, I would want to be able to maximize the value of my property. That lot is really too small for a neighborhood. The existing Cary Park shopping center is a pain to navigate, adding competition will hopefully drive some of that traffic elsewhere. I appreciate the competition in the grocery store space. Maybe now, we will get a decent restaurant at which to dine (and I'll be able to walk to it).

Old 11-19-2015, 02:07 PM

1,112 posts, read 2,871,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapdad00 View Post
I've seen all the hue and cry complaining against this shopping center, as I live nearby, but actually I support additional retail. If I were a property owner in a similar situation, I would want to be able to maximize the value of my property. That lot is really too small for a neighborhood. The existing Cary Park shopping center is a pain to navigate, adding competition will hopefully drive some of that traffic elsewhere. I appreciate the competition in the grocery store space. Maybe now, we will get a decent restaurant at which to dine (and I'll be able to walk to it).
I fully agree with your comments. Cary Park/Amberly/ are badly served with just the one mediocre HT grocery store for maybe as many as 10,000 residents. Its a long hike for most people to drive 5 mile to Parkside Town Commons if they need a pint of milk or a loaf of bread, as there is currently nowhere else nearby. As the population in West Cary has grown the commercial development has not kept pace and it's inevitable that a prime 22 acre corner lot on Green Level/Carpenter Fire Station Rd was always going to be developed in the proposed way. A Publix grocery store anchoring smaller shops and restaurants is long overdue on that corner and will be a good amenity for residents. Yes, I do have sympathy for homeowners that back up to the development but, did they really believe that such a prime piece of real estate was going to have Townhomes or even more Apartments? especially when there are so few shopping/restaurant facilities within walking distance for such a large population.

Old 11-19-2015, 02:34 PM

2,486 posts, read 2,557,422 times
The consumer would benefit from having the employee-owed Publix nearby.

H-T, owned by Kroger could use some competition.

Old 11-19-2015, 03:18 PM

9,157 posts, read 14,841,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beermat View Post
I fully agree with your comments. Cary Park/Amberly/ are badly served with just the one mediocre HT grocery store for maybe as many as 10,000 residents. Its a long hike for most people to drive 5 mile to Parkside Town Commons if they need a pint of milk or a loaf of bread, as there is currently nowhere else nearby. As the population in West Cary has grown the commercial development has not kept pace and it's inevitable that a prime 22 acre corner lot on Green Level/Carpenter Fire Station Rd was always going to be developed in the proposed way. A Publix grocery store anchoring smaller shops and restaurants is long overdue on that corner and will be a good amenity for residents. Yes, I do have sympathy for homeowners that back up to the development but, did they really believe that such a prime piece of real estate was going to have Townhomes or even more Apartments? especially when there are so few shopping/restaurant facilities within walking distance for such a large population.
The thing is, you can be sure if someone wanted to put town homes they would cry that it would bring crime and reduce property values too. Probably they would complain about pretty much anything. Once they get there, NIMBYs want all others kept out, regardless of how hard those that preceded them fought the develop,met that allowed them to be there.

I really love their arguments about this too, regarding crime and property values. When's the last time you heard of a crime wave emanating from a grocery store parking lot? The criminals have long since figured out how to use a map to find how to get from their homes to where people with money live. Same goes for the street connections. It turns their neighborhood into one that's walkable to a grocery store. That is a good thing.

What hurts property values is living in the middle of nowhere without services. They would be far better off trying to work with the developer to get some things done to lessen the impact on those that back up to it, which it sounds like they may have done a small amount of, but the article does not make clear the extent.

Old 11-19-2015, 04:00 PM

22,748 posts, read 37,020,844 times
My parents live out there (Carolina Preserve) and are happy with all the building. They can't stand that HT, they were thrilled when the one in Parkside Commons opened (they live closer to that side of the Preserve).

People don't like change, I get it - but to buy up there and not think every square inch will get built on when that's happening all over is a bit silly.

Old 11-19-2015, 05:19 PM

3,242 posts, read 3,567,287 times
Also, not sure how much through traffic any of those places will generate. They aren't destination shopping locations like Parkside. If you are local, you may use the service, but you won't come from the other side of cary to do business there.

Old 11-19-2015, 05:21 PM

4,648 posts, read 3,847,317 times
I live in the area also, and I agree with cheapdad00.

If they can possibly get better restaurants near the Publix, I would be for this plan. The restaurants at the HT across the street are very boring and not a good way to spend my $$$.

Old 11-19-2015, 05:38 PM

297 posts, read 742,674 times
Now, now. We love us some Tres Magueyes on the weekend, but you can't have Tres Magueyes all the time...unless you're my 11 year old.

I like the idea of more retail.

Old 11-19-2015, 06:17 PM

9,157 posts, read 14,841,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapdad00 View Post
Also, not sure how much through traffic any of those places will generate. They aren't destination shopping locations like Parkside. If you are local, you may use the service, but you won't come from the other side of cary to do business there.
Exactly. Not having the connections only screws the neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary