Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2018, 07:38 AM

22,665 posts, read 36,760,081 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrafficSys View Post
So, which movement do you want to suffer to give this minor left turn more time?

Anyway, sounds like it is timed appropriately. You cleared the intersection on the yellow, which is allowed and efficient (don’t let the green stay on that phase any longer than necessary.)

You’ve also described one of the problems at intersections. Big footprints, not always in a great place. Load the intersection with developments in all four corners that dump traffic too close (in this location, I believe additional signaled intersections on all four legs which make it very difficult to coordinate.) allow all movements at all intersections. Very inefficient. Just like so many intersections on Long Island (and elsewhere.)
Yup, there are now signals close to the intersection on all four sides that didn't use to be there.

Frankly, I don't mind waiting at a red light if I know I can safely cross the intersection when the light is green. And I got across the intersection safely that time (although the light turned red while I was underneath it) but the people behind me didn't. That's the kind of thing that leads to people running red lights. It is also the type of situation where people will act like they are going to go and then they realize they might not make it across and slam on their brakes causing a rear ender (I see these kinds of accidents all the time in my line of work, again the short light cycle leading to impatience).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2018, 09:11 AM

464 posts, read 699,360 times
I get the concept of those new-fangled left turn lanes and how it reduces potential accidents and congestion, but man for people who are not familiar with it or from out of town, I can see it being a real pain. Can only imagine how many times the left lane going straight will have to stop because somebody wants to do a traditional left and will sit in the lane until the traffic clears.

Old 11-11-2018, 09:19 AM

6,653 posts, read 5,579,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Frankly, I don't mind waiting at a red light if I know I can safely cross the intersection when the light is green. And I got across the intersection safely that time (although the light turned red while I was underneath it) but the people behind me didn't. That's the kind of thing that leads to people running red lights. It is also the type of situation where people will act like they are going to go and then they realize they might not make it across and slam on their brakes causing a rear ender (I see these kinds of accidents all the time in my line of work, again the short light cycle leading to impatience).
I'm guessing that if you have an intersection where all the movements can clear out within the signal cycle, then that intersection probably doesn't require the extreme intersection treatments that we're talking about here. You can definitely give excess time to the left turns so that everybody "gets to go" but then there's less time allotted for the thru traffic which is almost always greater volume wise than left turning traffic (obviously there are exceptions). So it's a balancing act when an intersection is approaching or is at it's maximum capacity and in extreme cases, you'll need stuff like the displaced lefts that are proposed here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMMH View Post
I get the concept of those new-fangled left turn lanes and how it reduces potential accidents and congestion, but man for people who are not familiar with it or from out of town, I can see it being a real pain. Can only imagine how many times the left lane going straight will have to stop because somebody wants to do a traditional left and will sit in the lane until the traffic clears.
Definitely - hopefully there are ways to mitigate confusion but signing and marking it so that it's obvious.

Old 11-11-2018, 05:13 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,321,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMMH View Post
I've traveled on some of those interchanges, shown in the videos posted, while visiting Utah. They're definitely different. If you pay attention to the signs posted, it's not really that bad figuring them out.

I've also have used both "Michigan Lefts" and "New Jersey Jug Handles", two other types of intersections where you can't turn left at the intersection.

Old 11-11-2018, 06:56 PM

2,584 posts, read 1,868,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Frankly, I don't mind waiting at a red light if I know I can safely cross the intersection when the light is green.
+1
Some people around here can barely handle basic driving as it is, I am happy to wait safely.

Old 11-11-2018, 06:58 PM

368 posts, read 294,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repatriot View Post
+1
Some people around here can barely handle basic driving as it is, I am happy to wait safely.
Almost all of the innovative intersection concepts have a better safety record than a traditional full movement traffic signal.

Old 11-11-2018, 08:51 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,321,730 times
VDOT has a great website with a bunch of Innovative Intersections and Interchanges, showing "real life" examples and breaking down each one:

Innovative Intersections and Interchanges

Continuous Green-T (CGT)
Diverging Diamond Interchange (DDI)
Displaced Left Turn (DLT)
Median U-Turn (MUT)
Quadrant Roadway (QR)
Restricted Crossing U-Turn (RCUT)
Roundabout
Single-Point Urban Interchange (SPUI)

Old 11-12-2018, 08:00 AM

3,395 posts, read 7,767,204 times
In Europe recently, I was struck by how few intersections I came to outside the urban cores had traffic lights. Traffic circles/Roundabouts were ubiquitous and kept roads flowing. I see so many intersections around here that seem like they’d be a lot better served that way. Other than a handful of well-publicized retrofits (like Hillsborough St), you don’t really see them much here.

Old 11-12-2018, 08:17 AM

6,653 posts, read 5,579,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dire Wolf View Post
In Europe recently, I was struck by how few intersections I came to outside the urban cores had traffic lights. Traffic circles/Roundabouts were ubiquitous and kept roads flowing. I see so many intersections around here that seem like they’d be a lot better served that way. Other than a handful of well-publicized retrofits (like Hillsborough St), you don’t really see them much here.
IMO, for the most part we are much more auto dependent here than the urban cores in Europe. There's a significant percent of people who don't drive due to better bike/pedestrian infrastructure, mass transit/ access/inter-city transportation access and some cities like London and Stockholm have implemented congestion fees reducing traffic in the urban cores by up to 20%. Roundabouts are great but once you get past certain volumes, aren't as effective. I'm a fan of roundabouts but since there are much more vehicles here, they are less likely to be implemented at the major intersections around here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
VDOT has a great website with a bunch of Innovative Intersections and Interchanges, showing "real life" examples and breaking down each one:

Innovative Intersections and Interchanges
Haven't seen this before - thanks for sharing!

Old 11-12-2018, 09:38 AM

4,261 posts, read 4,705,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dire Wolf View Post
Your experience in Europe must be different from mine. As for Hillsborough St, the City has basically destroyed it as a useful through-route. I don't know why they even bothered to leave it open to cars... it might as well have been converted to bus, delivery vehicles, cycles, and pedestrians. Oh wait, that didn't work for Fayetteville St in downtown, but the difference is that Hillsborough St used to be a way to get from A to B. Not anymore... all that traffic has shifted onto Wade Av and Western Blvd, which were already over-crowded.

If you want to proclaim the redesign/destruction of Hillsborough a great triumph, go ahead, but I won't join the applause.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary