Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2018, 05:57 PM

2,584 posts, read 1,863,073 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighSentinel View Post
Agree that Ajaisai isn’t “traditional” Japanese, but I found it to have exceptionally fresh, high quality sashimi, which is what I look for in a sushi place. That, and the real wasabi (ask for it). I’ve eaten at some of the traditional places where the sashimi has been questionable, including one of the ones you mentioned. I’ll have to give the other a try...

If you are still seeking an Italian place, try Bella Monica in the Olde Raleigh neighborhood near Rex Hospital. It has a casual feel and excellent food. My wife also mentioned Babymoon on Airport in Morrisville.
Agree re the food at Ajisai, and Kai (as I understand it Korean people own and work there, Pierre) is good and slightly better than that of Cowfish or Mura. And for the record, we love Korean food and frequent Seoul Garden. And great burgers at Cowfish.

At the risk of sounding snobbish, it's Asjisai's atmosphere I didn't care for. For those once in a while times I have sushi, without the atmosphere and service with it, and not little things like the Westernized practice of serving miso soup as appetizer as if it were a salad, or, Western-style service, I'm not going to enjoy it. I'm just burdened with too many experiences for too long having had the real thing too many times at the source. Sushi is meant to be an experience, not just a meal.

It's kinda like pancakes - I don't have them often, so when I do, the restaurant better damn well have real maple syrup and not that corn syrup poison or a mix of real and HFCS as some places do, or else it's pointless. That's when I order something else if I forget to bring my own.

Thanks for the Italian recommendations, will definitively try and report back.

Re the buffet at Nazara, as much as we really like there for dinner, I didn't care for their buffet - it wasn't bad, wasn't that great or had that much variety. Re mild curries, I found at least one of Nazara's disappointingly mild, as I prefer my curry spicy. But their Tikka Masala when ordered spicy or medium is really good.

Last edited by Repatriot; 11-16-2018 at 06:15 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2018, 05:59 AM

5 posts, read 6,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
If you happen to be down toward New Bern, try The Bay Leaf. World class Indian, would never expect that in New Bern.
Hear, hear. Their paneer tikka masala is the standard by which all other paneer tikka masala shall now be judged.

Old 11-18-2018, 06:17 AM

6,650 posts, read 5,561,706 times
For Italian food, check out Mothers & Sons Trattoria in downtown Durham

Old 11-18-2018, 12:18 PM

806 posts, read 601,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
Himalayan Range Nepali Restaurant in Cary for Indian (though it's technically Nepalese)!
http://himalayanrangenepalirestauran....php/our-menu/

Sushi:
If you wanna splurge, M Sushi in Durham is awesome. If not, City Market Sushi and Kai Sushi in Raleigh are my other favorites.
Just want to echo these choices. I really wish Himalayan Range worked with a delivery service. There is a new restaurant that is closer on Maynard at High House called Kathmandu Kitchen that is worth checking out IMO.

Old 11-18-2018, 05:33 PM

811 posts, read 827,918 times
We have really enjoyed Everest Nepali Kitchen. It is in Harrison Pointe Shopping Center at the NE corner of Harrison and Maynard.

https://www.google.com/search?source...10.TicrDbz5u2o

Also, Cilantro (Indian Cuisine) down in MacGregor Village.

https://www.google.com/search?ei=mwH...10.uhyyFIXJpBE

Further, three Thumbs up for Wasabi Sushi right next door to Cilantro.

https://www.google.com/search?ei=XQP...31.hg_eQrZ8-3E

Old 11-19-2018, 05:02 AM

269 posts, read 320,633 times
Italian + Japanese? I'm looking forward to trying this new place. Their menu looks interesting.
https://papashogun.com

Old 11-19-2018, 06:08 AM

6,650 posts, read 5,561,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Coffee View Post
Italian + Japanese? I'm looking forward to trying this new place. Their menu looks interesting.
https://papashogun.com
I walked by that place on my way to grab coffee at BREW on Saturday.......didn't seem to be a whole lot of people inside.

Old 11-19-2018, 06:38 AM

4,298 posts, read 5,964,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by myname_isborat View Post
I really wish Himalayan Range worked with a delivery service.
Both Grubhub and DoorDash will deliver from there.

Old 11-19-2018, 06:46 AM

11,208 posts, read 8,263,272 times
Considering the OP request (not spicy), I would try these two:

Cilantro in MacGregor Village. It was already mentioned but I say them because the guy at the register (owner or son of owner) is very helpful, and can steer you right, and will 100% understand your request.

The other is Kabab-ish in DT Cary. Only been there once, but I just have a feeling they could get it right for you.

I like both of these places a lot. Not my top top favorite, but for the request, I think they will work well.

I love Napali Range, but would be curious to see how they do on the "NO SPICE" mission. Same with Dharani, I like them BECAUSE the food on their buffet has some heat.

Funny think with Indian Restaurants in our area: It seems that whoever is "best" at any given time is short-lived. I used to like Paradise, before that Saffron, before that, Spice and Curry, and before that Tandoor.... Seems these places come and go with regards to "who's best". Just an observation.

Old 11-19-2018, 07:58 AM

744 posts, read 1,260,237 times
There seem to be more and more Indian restaurants opening every week! But to me, Cholanad in Chapel Hill remains the best. Their food is not spicy but flavorful.

For sushi, Waraji used to be my favorite but it's now M Sushi in downtown Durham. I've heard wonderful things about Yamazushi for kaiseki-style Japanese dining but have not tried it myself yet. Pretty pricey but worth it for a special occasion.

For French, try Provence in Carrboro.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary