Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2018, 10:52 PM

9,775 posts, read 15,776,851 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapdad00 View Post
So this was class of 2018? If student took test multiple times, do they take highest scores or average them?
Yes, class of 2018. It counts the last test they took.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2018, 11:11 PM

9,775 posts, read 15,776,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelkitten View Post
Raleigh charter is just a lottery - not selective.
Wow, that's crazy that their test scores are so high then. I know, in general, charter schools are attractive to people who value education, have knowledge of the school/lottery, and have the means to drive their kid to school everyday, so that does usually skew scores higher, but I wouldn't think it would account for that high of a score. It might be a case of a cycle of them having high scores which in turn attracts high caliber students which in turn leads to high test scores and so on.

I just looked at the website, and did notice that many classes are only offered at the honors level or the AP level, which may weed out some applicants/students. But still this school is doing something special or at least preparing them very well for the SAT. Very interesting. Does anyone have more knowledge about this school?

ETA: Raleigh Charter has the 3rd highest SAT scores in the state (with an 89% participation rate), after Early College at Guilford (1442) NCSSM (1439), both of which are competitive admittance schools. So, it really is impressive.

Last edited by michgc; 11-15-2018 at 11:36 PM..

Old 11-16-2018, 04:13 AM

13,705 posts, read 12,413,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
The outstanding performers are the schools with both high participation rates & high scores.
Raleigh Charter is particularly impressive. Green Hope, Panther Creek, Chapel Hill, E. Chapel Hill, and Apex are also pretty impressive.
I’m sorry, but what’s impressive about it? These schools have a preponderance of intelligent, achievement oriented kids, from educated, achievement oriented parents. To those of whom much is given, much is expected.

Old 11-16-2018, 04:25 AM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
I’m sorry, but what’s impressive about it? These schools have a preponderance of intelligent, achievement oriented kids, from educated, achievement oriented parents. To those of whom much is given, much is expected.
And people who can afford to pay for SAT prep, ACT prep and a "college counselor". My daughter has a friend whose older brother has been studying for the SAT since freshman year, I'm sure he's not unusual and I'm sure the friend will be spending this summer studying for it as well.

Old 11-16-2018, 06:53 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,321,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
Wow, that's crazy that their test scores are so high then. I know, in general, charter schools are attractive to people who value education, have knowledge of the school/lottery, and have the means to drive their kid to school everyday, so that does usually skew scores higher, but I wouldn't think it would account for that high of a score.
I think they position the school as a high achieving, very challenging school, so while all charter admissions by law are only by lottery (with preference given to siblings) those who apply to the charter school are self-selecting. Basically you wouldn't apply to Raleigh Charter if you didn't want a very challenging academic environment, so all the kids who apply are probably pretty smart just on the basis of self-selection. Woods also usually has pretty high scores for the same reason.

Old 11-16-2018, 08:58 AM

530 posts, read 637,257 times
Quote:
Yes, I think SAT scores in general speaks more to the family background of the children than anything the school achieved.

Old 11-16-2018, 09:20 AM

6,374 posts, read 5,484,053 times
Quote:
I do agree that the aforementioned schools are populated by students who mostly come from highly educated, high-income households. I think the most accurate metric for if a school is "helping" it's students the most is the achievement gap. The grades/test scores of students from high-income households vs those from low-income households.

Sadly I don't think there are many public non-charter schools in the area (or for that matter, in NC or nationally) that would have overly impressive achievement-gap stats.

Old 11-16-2018, 09:34 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,321,421 times
Have they released the ACT scores? Would be interesting to compare them since SAT-takers are self-selected and all high school juniors are required to take the ACT.

Old 11-16-2018, 09:42 AM

3,239 posts, read 3,537,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
I think they position the school as a high achieving, very challenging school, so while all charter admissions by law are only by lottery (with preference given to siblings) those who apply to the charter school are self-selecting. Basically you wouldn't apply to Raleigh Charter if you didn't want a very challenging academic environment, so all the kids who apply are probably pretty smart just on the basis of self-selection. Woods also usually has pretty high scores for the same reason.
I think it's the 9AM start time for Raleigh Charter :-)

Old 11-16-2018, 09:48 AM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
Yes, I know someone who moved here from Florida because his son got in there. They rented a place here, applied, and then made the move once he was accepted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary