Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2018, 02:06 PM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times

Advertisements

We have one bluebird house that was put up late last spring and never been used. Now, there are two bluebirds that appear to be taking it over AND maybe a dozen more flying around the backyard and hanging around on our trees. We live in a newer construction neighborhood.

We're from Phoenix; therefore, more familiar with hawks, roadrunners and doves. What's going on with these bluebirds????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2018, 02:23 PM

8,159 posts, read 10,918,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
We have one bluebird house that was put up late last spring and never been used. Now, there are two bluebirds that appear to be taking it over AND maybe a dozen more flying around the backyard and hanging around on our trees. We live in a newer construction neighborhood.

We're from Phoenix; therefore, more familiar with hawks, roadrunners and doves. What's going on with these bluebirds????
Put up a mealworm feeder. They'll stay with you all winter and roost in the box. They'll love you for it I have at least 8 or 10 now. I added cedar shaving to the box and I believe many of them are roosting there.

Old 11-25-2018, 02:37 PM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poggly Woggly View Post
Put up a mealworm feeder. They'll stay with you all winter and roost in the box. They'll love you for it I have at least 8 or 10 now. I added cedar shaving to the box and I believe many of them are roosting there.

Mealworms? Like the dried ones they have on Amazon?

Are they roosting in the your mealworm feeder?

Old 11-25-2018, 02:39 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,960,626 times
the Northern bluebirds (who migrate) join with the NC bluebirds (who do not...who wants to leave?) this time of year.

Old 11-25-2018, 03:02 PM

6,799 posts, read 7,372,406 times
Quote:
No, live ones: https://www.amazon.com/250-Mealworms...live+mealworms

Quote:
I think PW was referring to the "box" as your bluebird house, in which the bluebirds will over-winter if food is readily available.

Old 11-25-2018, 03:23 PM

Quote:

I use dry...Kaytee from Ace Hardware. Live are great too. I say box instead of house like 1960 said. They roost in the box. Get worms from the feeder. A bowl works great too.

Old 11-25-2018, 03:36 PM
rfb

2,594 posts, read 6,353,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poggly Woggly View Post
I tried hard to get our bluebirds to eat mealworms, but they never really did. But they love the shelled sunflower hearts (as do pretty much all the birds), so I stock up on them instead.

Old 11-25-2018, 05:29 PM

4,252 posts, read 3,170,586 times
We had multiple clutches of bluebirds in our bluebird houses this year. Quite a few still hanging out. Have never been able to get them to eat the mealworms. Perhaps there are other food source they prefer.

Old 11-25-2018, 06:13 PM

Mine took to the dry mealworms right away, but some don't seem to for some reason. I just put them out dry and they devour them even when they get wet and swell. I target bluebirds only at the winter feeder. I have neighbors who use a variety of seeds and nuts for many different species...and yes bluebirds love sunflower seed hearts.

Old 11-25-2018, 07:36 PM

1,246 posts, read 4,187,595 times
Mine love dried mealworms and always flock to the feeder within minutes of me refilling it. During the rain Saturday, there were 5 bluebirds crammed into my window feeder trying to stay dry. I planned to put houses up late winter, but will do that now so they have a place to keep warm and dry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary