Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2018, 05:46 PM

3,444 posts, read 2,816,353 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkeydance View Post
old?...yes.
that was my son's first Thanksgiving,
and first tornado. he'll be 31 in January.
My son's first Thanksgiving, too. He'll be 31 in May.

We lived in a singlewide in Apex when it came through. We had been at my parents off from North Hills Drive because we had family in town for the holiday. It was so warm and rainy when we headed home that I opened the windows before going to bed. I woke up around 1 AM to roaring winds and pouring rain. I got up to close the windows but my (now ex) husband had closed them already. I went back to bed and had no idea how horrible it was until the next morning. The clock at Townridge had stopped at 1:12 AM, the time the tornado went through.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2018, 06:02 PM

595 posts, read 676,894 times
I was in 7th grade. A friend of mine was asleep in bed and was woken by the oft described “freight train sound”. She got scared and ran into her parents’ bedroom. Moments later the roof of her house ripped off and her bed ended up in a neighbor’s tree 4 houses down. That story has never left me.

I recall the next morning, I had an orthodontist appointment and as my mom drove me down Six Forks there we were astounded at the damage. There was a brick apartment building that had a wall torn off. You could see into the apartments like it was a doll house. I found it remarkable that vases still stood undisturbed on shelves. Pictures hung straight on walls, yet one side of a building could be completely torn off.

Old 11-28-2018, 06:22 PM

545 posts, read 1,605,113 times
I was living in an apartment down from Cary Mall. I had the flu (first time, age 23), and I remember being woken up around the time it hit by the wind and rain. I recall thinking "Oh it's raining and fell right back asleep because I was so sick. My mother called me the ext morning to check o me and told me about it. If it had hit where I was, I it probably would have taken me out; no way would I have made it to the bathtub for protection.

Old 11-28-2018, 06:41 PM

3,444 posts, read 2,816,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Straitlover View Post
I was living in an apartment down from Cary Mall. I had the flu (first time, age 23), and I remember being woken up around the time it hit by the wind and rain. I recall thinking "Oh it's raining and fell right back asleep because I was so sick. My mother called me the ext morning to check o me and told me about it. If it had hit where I was, I it probably would have taken me out; no way would I have made it to the bathtub for protection.
I had the flu, too! I had woken up the next morning and taken a drive down Glenwood Ave (I worked at the Red Lobster there at the time and wanted to make sure it was still there). I ended up on Ray Rd and got stuck in traffic, that's when the horrible fever, aches, exhaustion hit. I still had to drive home and take care of my son who was with me and was just months old. Ugh. I think I cried all the way home. LOL

Old 11-28-2018, 07:34 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,247,610 times
I lived in Cary (off Trinity Road, so sort of close to Raleigh and the fairgrounds). I was 21 at the time. Fast asleep and our terrier woke me, running from room to room, howling. A few minutes later, the emergency sirens started going off.

It was really weird.

Old 11-28-2018, 09:24 PM

2,273 posts, read 1,667,786 times
We flew in earlier that day from the Thanksgiving holiday with family. I remember the weather was strange - warm and the sky was pea soup green.

A friend lived 2 streets over from a house where a child was killed - didn't a chimney collapse? You could see the clear path of downed trees all along Duraleigh Road.

Old 11-28-2018, 09:51 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,821,323 times

Someone has posted a cool video from the news covering it. Nifty '80s graphics! Old-timers will recognize Charlie Gaddy (legendary longtime newscaster for WRAL), Adele Arakawa, Bob Debardelaben, and Tom Suiter introduced at the beginning. Makes me wonder how many of these people interviewed here are still in the area.

I remember helping the professor of a class I was taking at the time, who lived right near the corner of Lynn and Ray Roads, with cleanup after her second floor ended up in her front yard.

Old 11-28-2018, 10:01 PM

Here's another video, much longer, and clearly put together as a news special after the fact (complete with "dramatic" music). 30 minutes long and very informative.

Old 11-28-2018, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamrock4 View Post
A friend lived 2 streets over from a house where a child was killed - didn't a chimney collapse? You could see the clear path of downed trees all along Duraleigh Road.
Yes, the 8-YO girl who was killed in the neighborhood right off Lynn Road (between Ray and Creedmoor) had a chimney fall on her, so horrible. My cousin was a good friend of hers from church, apparently.

Old 11-28-2018, 10:43 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,247,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shamrock4 View Post
We flew in earlier that day from the Thanksgiving holiday with family. I remember the weather was strange - warm and the sky was pea soup green.

I know the family that lived pretty much across the street from them. Just down a wee bit. That was absolutely awful. And, yes... it was a chimney collapse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary