Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2018, 11:21 PM

3 posts, read 3,652 times

Advertisements

We're relocating to the Apex area and for next year our address is slotted for Lufkin Road Middle School which is about 7 miles away while Apex Friendship MS is within 2 miles distance. Lufkin is an Year Round school while Apex Friendship is Traditional. It seems that we have the option to request a transfer to Apex Friendship - not sure what the chances of being approved are. Any local families can give me some pros and cons? It seems that a 7 miles drive to school is a long way to deal with twice a day regardless if driving or busing but I like the idea of Year Round school. Apex Friendship Middle School just opened this year. I like the proximity to school but I wonder with them being just in their second year in 2019, are they doing a good job? And who are the students assigned to this school if my neighborhood two miles away is not?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2018, 03:26 AM

6,799 posts, read 7,380,824 times
Apex Friendship Middle is closed to transfer requests. You can look at school attendance zone maps here: Address Lookup and School Maps

Old 12-03-2018, 05:14 AM

22,668 posts, read 36,792,894 times
There was a LOT of controversy when they assigned certain neighborhoods to Lufkin rather than AFMS. AFMS just opened this year. I'm sure it will be a good school. The principal gets to pick and choose her staff so she's not taking teachers who aren't "all in". But I guess it all depends on what you think makes a good school - is it the admin, the teachers, the parents, or some combo thereof? If you like the idea of YR your options are somewhat limited for middle school and WCPSS is not playing the transfer game anymore. I know a teacher who tried to get his daughter transferred to his school for this year, and his older two kids got the transfer no problem. This year? Nope.

If your kid(s) play indoor sports, be aware that Lufkin has a pole in the middle of their gym so their "home" games are played at the Apex community center or sometimes Salem Middle School (which by the way is a YR MS).

Old 12-03-2018, 06:43 AM
DPK

4,594 posts, read 5,727,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
If your kid(s) play indoor sports, be aware that Lufkin has a pole in the middle of their gym so their "home" games are played at the Apex community center or sometimes Salem Middle School (which by the way is a YR MS).
lol what? They really have a pole in the middle of the gym? How'd this happen? Who failed to understand the concept of what a gym is for here?

Old 12-03-2018, 07:33 AM

1,381 posts, read 2,103,546 times
Lufkin was originally a factory which they converted into a school - thus the pole! It is kinda crazy.
My son is a 6th grader at Apex Friendship Middle (8.5 miles from our house even though there are two Holly Springs middle schools each less than 3 miles from our house). It's a good school though - no complaints.

Old 12-03-2018, 07:33 AM

5,885 posts, read 6,953,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPK View Post
lol what? They really have a pole in the middle of the gym? How'd this happen? Who failed to understand the concept of what a gym is for here?

The existing building was retrofitted when they converted it into a school. The building did not originally have a gym. I had 3 kids attend and play sports at LRMS. The facilities did not really have any impact on sports for us.

Old 12-03-2018, 09:00 AM

22,668 posts, read 36,792,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPK View Post

I know when my kid told me last year her VB game was not going to be at LRMS due to a pole in the middle of the gym I thought "I have to see this". The background provided here on this thread is very interesting and explains the completely bizarre location of the school as well.

Old 12-03-2018, 09:54 AM

4,304 posts, read 5,989,186 times
To be fair, it's not right in the middle of a court, but it is squeezed between the two. Watch out for that ceiling too.

Old 12-04-2018, 12:43 AM

Thank you all for your informative replies. Our school transfer won't happen until next year and I checked the link and for 2019-2020 it looks like there is a transfer request option to AFMS for my address... if I read this correctly. I guess things can still change in the meantime. From what I understand we can't go wrong with any of the schools and I'm excited to see class sizes under 20 as we're at 35 in our current school. It would be nice to be close to home for the 3 years of MS but if not, it is what it is. I have to get used to this convoluted assignment process for sure.
As far as what I consider a good school is a combination of all "twingles" mentioned... great admin, teachers that love to inspire and challenge students and neighbors that go to the same school for easier transition and to do life with.

Old 12-04-2018, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJKB View Post
My son is a 6th grader at Apex Friendship Middle (8.5 miles from our house even though there are two Holly Springs middle schools each less than 3 miles from our house). It's a good school though - no complaints.
That's quite a commute especially when you pass by two schools on the way there. Are you driving or taking the bus? Is it common for neighbors to organize carpools there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary