Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2018, 09:20 PM

15 posts, read 26,002 times

Advertisements

Planning to move to either Raleigh or Durham and want to visit soon. What is the best way to tour the area? What do I not want to miss?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2018, 09:46 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,454,017 times
A car would be helpful, but a true hipster would do it on a bike

Old 12-11-2018, 10:44 PM

3,395 posts, read 7,773,458 times
Are you planning to treat it more as a serious "investigate the area for a move" trip or more of a "visit the city and see the sights" trip?

If you really think you might move here, you can skip so many sights (museums and such) and just plan to do those at your leisure later. Focus on exploring the towns and neighborhoods and the things that you'd do on a regular basis. Everything from the morning commutes if you work to jogging or riding a bike or hiking or whatever at parks/greenways/etc. if that is your thing. If you think you'd routinely see live sports or live music, maybe check those out. Maybe check out some downtown restaurants or area breweries.

If I'm showing off the area to someone that hasn't been here, I might take them to the NC Museum of Art or Duke Chapel or various other spots, but those aren't likely to be deal sealers or breakers in deciding on a move. If I had a friend looking to move here, I would probably just take them to various favorite places of mine that I frequent. For instance: Kings to see a band, Bond Brothers to have a beer, Chucks to have a burger, DBAP to catch a baseball game, Umstead to ride bikes or hike, etc. Between that and showing the friend various neighborhoods, I think they could get a feel for the area and whether they liked it and where in the area they gravitate more towards (of course budget and work plays a big role in that).

Old 12-11-2018, 11:00 PM

1,022 posts, read 1,255,421 times
Please take a look at the sticky Relocation Index post at the top of the forum. There are several links to the existing questions regarding such trips.

Old 12-12-2018, 03:24 AM

43,299 posts, read 77,129,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jelenap View Post
Please take a look at the sticky Relocation Index post at the top of the forum. There are several links to the existing questions regarding such trips.
//www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...des-local.html

And, OP, how much time will you have on your visit?
How many days?

Old 12-12-2018, 05:38 AM

15 posts, read 26,002 times
One...maybe two.

Old 12-12-2018, 06:16 AM

43,299 posts, read 77,129,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
//www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...des-local.html

And, OP, how much time will you have on your visit?
How many days?
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobigcityforme View Post
One...maybe two.
One day and multiple Triangle cities is not workable for a scouting trip.
Two is a real whirlwind.

I would suggest you read the linked thread above, decide exactly what you are looking for in terms of housing and location, to help make it an efficient trip.
Some folks relocating get hung up on seeing houses, and miss the cities. That is not entirely helpful for them.

Old 12-12-2018, 06:42 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,274,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
A car would be helpful, but a true hipster would do it on a bike
Bird scooter!

Old 12-12-2018, 07:28 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,170,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobigcityforme View Post
Planning to move to either Raleigh or Durham and want to visit soon. What is the best way to tour the area? What do I not want to miss?
Frankly, there are a lot of online resources that are going to tell you all about the key selling points of the Triangle, including the universities, sports, the arts, cultural festivals, etc. Before even coming to the Triangle, I'd do as much research as possible on any and all of those things that are important to you. Google and YouTube can get you a long way to understanding the Triangle.
What is harder to grasp through your electronic device is the sense of being somewhere, the people, the culture, the pace of life, etc. If I were somewhere just for a couple of days to scope it out, I'd put myself in situations that would give me a sense of what my day to day life might be like. I'd hang out in neighborhoods and places that would be most like what you would seek. For example, I wouldn't spend both days exploring the downtowns if that's not how you'd live your life daily, or if it's not one of your top priorities.
I would get a sense of how places connect to other places, whether within a singular city, between two or among all of them in the Triangle. I'd think about where I might be working and investigate how one gets from that place to where you see yourself living. Some of this can be done online as well. If there is a particular hobby or interest, seek out resources, clubs, etc. that support it or create a community. If you like a particular kind of food when dining out, prioritize visiting those types of restaurants for your meals. Yelp can help you there.
Finally, I'd do some pre-work on costs of living since they can vary wildly from place to place in the Triangle. For example, you might fall in love with a particular part of the Triangle that is double the cost of typical housing in the overall area. Once again, use online sites to study costs of housing and availability.

Old 12-12-2018, 08:40 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,341,675 times
The Triangle is a large area made up of many suburban cities and towns (the original three points being Raleigh, Durham, and Chapel Hill). Most people want to live close to where they will work. Doesn’t make any sense to live in Zebulon or Clayton and work in Chapel Hill or vice/versa. Most folks advise to find the job first, then find the housing
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary