Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 07:33 PM

2,932 posts, read 7,822,963 times

Advertisements

That family was so inspiring. I hope they are enjoying their house!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2008, 08:02 PM

3,031 posts, read 9,086,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamishra View Post
That is interesting. I wonder how people get involved in it? I remember them doing the house in Raleigh and while I don't know the homeowner, I know other people that know them. We were all curious as to how people from the local community got involved. Is it one of those things where you just have to know people or do they actually invite the community to help out?
When EM gets down to their finalists, they obtain a list of names for community contacts so they can forewarn the community and have it get prepared. When the XYZ family in my town was chosen, the phone chain got active and we got a call to come down to the high school for an EM meeting. My husband was doing a lot of carpentry work at the time since he was between jobs so his name naturally came up and I did know the family and the head volunteers. I'm not sure how they amassed their list but it seemed as though everyone in town was there! I have some pictures of the house going up. But I haven't yet figured out how to post them on C-D.

So to answer your question, in my community, it was who you knew initially. But the need for volunteers is so great that no one was turned away.

Quote:
One of the bigger issues has become the valuation of the houses: in most cases, the value of the new house is much higher than the old house, and even if the mortgage is paid off, the property tax bills soar (especially in Texas and California), and some EM homeowners have not been able to manage the new property tax bills and have had to sell. Perhaps the "EM house" label has helped them.
I'd heard that too. In our town, additional money was raised to help the family with their taxes in perpetuity. The town kicked in as well, knocking a good amount of the valuation.

Also, the landscaping company that did all the landscaping volunteered yard service also in perpetuity. I think that this family's karma just came back at them in their favor. They give so much to the town that it was just time to get some back. One of their children is disabled and they do a lot to fundraise nationally.

Old 04-07-2008, 08:10 PM

3,644 posts, read 8,578,469 times
All good deeds aside, I still feel like there is no way anything quality can come out of a house that has been built from ground up in less than a week.
I also don't particularly care for the show. It's not the fact that they do good deeds for deserving people but the fact that I've read about how much money the show makes for the production company. Don't think that Ty is volunteering his time.

Old 04-08-2008, 06:03 AM

2,086 posts, read 7,643,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by underPSI View Post
All good deeds aside, I still feel like there is no way anything quality can come out of a house that has been built from ground up in less than a week.
I also don't particularly care for the show. It's not the fact that they do good deeds for deserving people but the fact that I've read about how much money the show makes for the production company. Don't think that Ty is volunteering his time.
On a similar note, it is sad that the house they demolished was in fact demolished instead of renovated. Yes, it was not in the greatest shape, but it was not condemned and it was an historic home that could have very easily been renovated with probably less money than was spent (donated?) to build the new home, and still come out basically like new. I am all for helping people out by providing a nice home if they are in need, but is it really necessary to waste resources that way? It seems like the house was destroyed only for the dramatic effect of television to garner viewers. I even heard that the show wouldn't even allow people to come in and salvage any of the historic elements of the home that could have been used in other restorations.

All that said, though, I do hope the family is enjoying their new home that they deserved!

Old 04-08-2008, 08:46 AM

1,032 posts, read 3,436,565 times
Real Estate Search
search homes in Wake County

Would somebody remind me why these folks won this? I don't like the whole concept, sorry to be the party pooper but I stand by my opinion...

Old 04-08-2008, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiblue View Post
On a similar note, it is sad that the house they demolished was in fact demolished instead of renovated. Yes, it was not in the greatest shape, but it was not condemned and it was an historic home that could have very easily been renovated with probably less money than was spent (donated?) to build the new home, and still come out basically like new. I am all for helping people out by providing a nice home if they are in need, but is it really necessary to waste resources that way? It seems like the house was destroyed only for the dramatic effect of television to garner viewers. I even heard that the show wouldn't even allow people to come in and salvage any of the historic elements of the home that could have been used in other restorations.

All that said, though, I do hope the family is enjoying their new home that they deserved!
You are referring to the Raleigh house, right? Because the house in my town was also old (historic) but couldn't accomodate a handicapped child. The family had started to renovate it themselves before EM but part of the foundation was crumbling and an entire side of the house fell in on them.

Old 04-08-2008, 10:05 AM

2,086 posts, read 7,643,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NChomesomeday View Post
You are referring to the Raleigh house, right? Because the house in my town was also old (historic) but couldn't accomodate a handicapped child. The family had started to renovate it themselves before EM but part of the foundation was crumbling and an entire side of the house fell in on them.
Yes, the Raleigh house. I have no idea what town you are in, so I don't know anything about that one!

Here is an article about the Raleigh house and episode: Hewn and Hammered: Extreme Makeover = extreme travesty in Raleigh, NC.

Old 04-08-2008, 10:32 AM

Thanks for the link. I feel the same way that you do about razing an historic house. That happened here, unfortunately but the house had issues---so I just wanted to make sure we weren't talking about that house!

Happily, the new house design fits the neighborhood and the lot, beautifully. So there can be a happy ending. Local architects were used.

Old 04-08-2008, 12:14 PM

4,606 posts, read 7,688,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NChomesomeday View Post
Thanks for the link. I feel the same way that you do about razing an historic house. That happened here, unfortunately but the house had issues---so I just wanted to make sure we weren't talking about that house!

Happily, the new house design fits the neighborhood and the lot, beautifully. So there can be a happy ending. Local architects were used.
If we can keep things on the NC forum with topics on NC, that would be a big help in not confusing others (again) please. Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary