Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2018, 08:20 AM

5,294 posts, read 3,171,025 times

Advertisements

Not even sure where to start with this one...

We purchased a new house and now have to deal with the "cluster" mailboxes. We closed on last Friday and to date I have not received a drop of mail (not even junk mail). I know that the closing attorneys mailed me paperwork and a check on December 17 but it has not shown up. It's local mail so it should have been here next day.

Additionally, I requested a change of address at the beginning of December and my mail is still being delivered to the old address.

I'm in Holly Springs and stopped by the physical office and they took my name and number and said the postmaster would call me back, but I have not heard from them. I get it, it's the busy time, but by the same token I want to be sure that my money is reaching me and not someone else. I just want to confirm that the post office has assigned my individual box number to my address and that my checks are not going somewhere else.

I'm on hold with USPS (estimated wait time 1 hour) but I didn't know what levels of escalation there are here, locally. Has anyone had luck contacting an actual person in this area?

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2018, 11:08 AM

9 posts, read 6,806 times
Couple things - did you do your mail forwarding online or in-person? The online way allows you to log in, I believe. You can double check there, or at a minimum, resubmit it. This should be handled within one day in terms of ceasing delivery to the previous address.

Next, make sure your name is on/in your mailbox. When I delivered, you were not supposed to deliver mail to a box with a name that didn't match (at the cluster style).

Hopefully your attorney used certified mail? Or at least added tracking? Will be hard to track down otherwise. As for getting a hold of a Postmaster, can't help there. Good luck.

Old 12-21-2018, 11:15 AM

6,799 posts, read 7,335,361 times
I think this is the phone number for the HS post office: 919-557-3508

Old 12-21-2018, 04:50 PM

461 posts, read 695,946 times
I had the exact same issue as a new house in a new subdivision with the cluster mailboxes in Cary. I think the first month of living there I got mail maybe twice. I had forwarded mail and confirmed with an old neighbor that nothing was being delivered to my old mailbox, so the mail was going somewhere.

I called various post offices and after giving my zip code, they said I would need to contact the Wrenn Drive post office which was considered HQ for my zip. I called them using a real number and not the USPS 800 number, and spoke to somebody who said they were aware that I was there and would work on improving delivery. After this first call I was getting mail maybe 1-2 times a week. I called a second time, then it started coming maybe 60% of the time. Finally I called and luckily the "rural supervisor" answered, who made sure that mail would be delivered consistently. I've gotten mail every day since but this was a 2-3 month process.

What happened was that my mail was building up at this post office, and I was considered "rural" so basically the person on the rural route would be different each day, versus usual neighborhoods that have the same person or people delivering mail daily. If it was somebody who gave a darn, I actually got my mail. If it was somebody who I guess didn't care, it never showed up.

Ironically UPS and Fed Ex had no problems finding us with online purchases, etc.

Good luck it's a headache for sure. Congrats on the new house.

Old 12-21-2018, 08:53 PM
DPK

4,594 posts, read 5,708,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoSox 15 View Post
Not even sure where to start with this one...

We purchased a new house and now have to deal with the "cluster" mailboxes. We closed on last Friday and to date I have not received a drop of mail (not even junk mail). I know that the closing attorneys mailed me paperwork and a check on December 17 but it has not shown up. It's local mail so it should have been here next day.
We were in a similar situation as you. New house, new cluster boxes. Apparently there's a delay, sometimes a few weeks between when they're installed and when the USPS starts delivering. The boxes may be there but there can be issues getting them keyed/accessible by the USPS.

At least they were kind enough in our case to tell us where our mail was. They held it at the post office down the street from us and we'd just pick it up there until they gave us the nod that we'd actually get delivery to our box.

It took us about a month between the cluster boxes being installed to us actually receiving mail in our box.

FedEx / UPS were a slight pain as well because our street was brand new and not on maps yet. So at first we were getting undeliverable mail/package notices that our address didn't exist. I actually spoke with a supervisor for local FedEx and was basically like "I can assure you I exist, I'm talking to you from that house right now". They put something in their system to flag my house to drivers until the Google/Bing maps systems they used updated with my street.

One tip I do have is that as soon as you can, go online to the various main map/navigation companies and ensure your address and street are marked correctly so people can find you. You can edit your home info online for Bing Maps, Google Maps, Lyft, Waze, etc. As many as you can, do it. It will help your friends, repairmen, delivery people, etc find you sooner rather than waiting on whatever regular update cycles these companies have to add you later.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary