Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2009, 08:44 AM

140 posts, read 418,128 times

Advertisements

Where can I get more info on the Raleigh walking trails (Greenway) ? I need something that lets me know where the entrances are located.. The map I have seen only shows the trails but what I need is info that says "trail starts at 5th and Main or trail starts in Hooday park-- look for signs..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2009, 09:02 AM

5,743 posts, read 17,606,247 times
There are no particular starting points, as far as I know. You just join in wherever is convenient.

Old 04-22-2009, 09:48 AM

460 posts, read 1,274,619 times
maybe this'll help:

Raleigh Greenways

Old 04-22-2009, 10:36 AM

337 posts, read 1,138,928 times
^ Those maps are a little out of date, but are a starting point.
Hmmm... let's see, some good places to start.

For the trail that runs down Crabtree creek you can park and access at:
Lindsay Dr. in Oakpark subdivision, this is the western most (upstream) point of access, nice little gavel parking area.
Further down you could park behind Crabtree Valley Mall under the deck. There is a pedestrian foot bridge that crosses the creek and intersects the greenway. Some people park in the gravel parking lot behind the McDonalds at the corner of Crabtree Blvd. and Blue Rige Rd.
Further down you can park at Lassiter Mill park on Lassiter Mill Rd. The trail is not continuous there so you can't easily go upstream, but if you go north a little ways on Lassiter Mill and cross the road the trail goes for several miles.
Shell Lake park is a great place to access. I usually stay off the loop around the lake because it is so crowded but if you park in the lot below the dam there is a trail that goes under Millbrook Rd. and extends down Ironwood Creek all the way to Crabtree Creek.
Another good place is North Hills Park on Currituck Dr. which has a trail that goes down to the Ironwood trail

These are only a few, but I hope it helps get you started. Maybe you can tell, I really like our Greenways.

Old 04-22-2009, 10:57 AM

387 posts, read 1,028,706 times
Here are some additional sources of info/maps:

From the City of Raleigh
http://www.raleighnc.gov/portal/server.pt/gateway/PTARGS_0_2_135732_0_0_18/Capital_Area_Greenway_Map.pdf (broken link)

From Wake County
WakeGOV.com - Trails & Greenways of Wake County

From the Town of Cary
www.townofcary.org/depts/prdept/greenway/gwyhome.htm (http://www.townofcary.org/depts/prdept/greenway/gwyhome.htm - broken link)

From Durham Bike & Ped Advisory Commission
Durham BPAC

From Chapel Hill
Greenways & Trails | Chapel Hill Parks & Recreation

From Triangle Rails to Trails Conservancy
http://www.triangletrails.org/

Old 04-22-2009, 07:14 PM

16 posts, read 33,357 times
Definitely get a map. We went on one at Lake Shelley, not the one that goes around the lake. We thought it would be a 2 mile loop. Nope. We walked for 2 hours before we realized we needed to just turn around.

At least we got some exercise! Worked off some of the great food.

Old 04-23-2009, 09:33 PM

140 posts, read 418,128 times
Thank you so much.. the map from Wakegov.com was what I was looking for.. thanks again
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary